Kat Von D -- Next Mel Gibson?

2/8/2008 8:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Upon being fired from "Miami Ink" last year, tattoo artist Kat Von D allegedly signed a photograph addressed to her former boss, Ami James, and drew a swastika and a flaming Star of David on it. Subtle, no?

Kat Von D
TMZ has obtained the photograph in question, a headshot of Kat that reads, "Burn in hell Jewbag." No one witnessed Kat write the message, but Chris Garver, another tattoo artist on "Miami Ink," tells TMZ Kat personally handed him the photo.

When Ami, who is Jewish, received the photo, sources tell us he went to TLC and was rebuffed. We're told after Ami had a lawyer intervene, TLC went to a handwriting analyst who concluded "there is a 99% probability that Kat Von D" wrote the message. In early July 2007, Avi's lawyer went to TLC with the analysis. They simply sent him a letter back that acknowledged receiving the results and said, "We trust that this information will be kept strictly confidential."

Kat's spinoff show, "LA Ink," premiered a month later.

When contacted about the photo, Ami told TMZ he wasn't as offended by the photo as he was by the indifference toward it, saying, "What is more devastating to me, and much more shameful is when people ignore something like this for the sake of the money or self-interest. That is the real 'punch in the gut.'"

TLC gave TMZ this statement: "A publicity photo was brought to the network's attention eight months ago that contained extraordinarily offensive language. A full investigation was immediately conducted to determine whether anyone associated with the network was involved. Kat vehemently denied authoring the text and after completing the investigation, it was determined that insufficient evidence existed to conclude that she had. Therefore, no disciplinary action was taken. The network always takes these matters seriously and follows what we believe to be an appropriate course of action as dictated by the circumstances and available information."

Kat's personal publicist issued this statement: "The recent accusation of a publicity photo of me with offensive and anti-semitic comments and graphics allegedly written by me is completely false and unfounded, and clearly a forgery. This was already proven many months ago to be 100 percent untrue. I always have been, and will continue to be an advocate for tolerance of all races, religions and ways of life."

Mr Clean

I agree. It definitely looks like someone added the line and the swastika to the end of Kat's signature. For your information though the swastika drawn is in reverse which was the original version meaning toward god, luck, prosperity and more depending on the culture. Unfortunately via Hitler and the Nazi's it was reversed and is now a negative symbol in history and worldwide. Irregardless TMZ and the media are once again blowing things completely out of proportion without telling the entire story or checking their facts. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Cheyenne

Please get your facts correct:

Hindus use the right-facing cross, and so do the Nazis but they turn it into a different angle instead of it being horizontal.

The left-facing cross - like the one Kat has drawn - has e.g. a Buddhist meaning "manji, representing love and mercy."

There is no way that a Nazi would draw her cross "so wrong"...

BTW,
the luck-bringing right-facing version was used also by the Finnish air-force since 1918 - that's before the Nazis started to use it. During the wars in Finland a lot of symbol rings were made with this cross, and lately originals and replicas have been sold a lot to remember those who made us independent.

So if you ever meet a Finnish person with this ring remember that for us it is a symbol of independence and an honour to our grandparents who fought for this country. It has nothing to do with the Nazis.

I'm wearing this ring. And I'm travelling to L.A. this summer - maybe I should ask Kat to tattoo this symbol of my independence on me? And if you want to call me Nazi, be prepared to get slapped.

mrs princess

I really hope Kat has to pay for this as DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER has and still is for his very private conversation. She needs to face the truth and TLC had better acknowledge this and do something as others have had to pay they TLC AND KAT need to also.

mark

kat brings the most beautiful art work and just bevery thankfull u get the honor of being able 2 see its she as a huge heart i know this b cuz weve met she invited me check out the shop i had the bst time ever so rememer kat rules o by the way did i mention im half jewish so knock it off all u haters

deb

i'll help poor Ami get over this. he's so hot

CMew

I was going to proceed reading through this thread but chas has irritated me. Do not insult other people's intelligence based out of hobbies. Many people have shows they consider "guilty pleasures," and I swear that people who preach ignorance and spit it back are upsetting to the whole concept of free speech. Chas please keep your 3rd grade insults about people who like tattoos to yourself because if you insult at least be educated about such topic, there is a book called inked professionals, doctors, lawyers, etc, who are covered in tattoos and I don't believe that an IQ of 3 will do for that occupation.So please shut your mouth before you make yourself a bigger fool than you are already appearing.
And as someone with a Jewish background, amongst asian (go figure) I think people are oversensitive. WE ARE ALL PEOPLE. Stop segregating and complaining and learn that everything isn't fair and sometimes it takes SELF CONFIDENCE to get over other's ignorance.
Jeesh.

Stephanie Gomez

I read Kat's post yesterday on MySpace, but even before that I would never believe that she would write anything like that and for Chris to say that she personally handed him the photo. Please. I don't believe that for one minute. Miami Ink is out to get her.

Wow my goodnesss

It's so clear that that swastika has been photo shopped in. Why is this a big deal?

scottysgirl05

She has vehemently denied this and issued a bulletin on her myspace that says in no way did she do this. I believe her!! If she was just starting out her own show why would she want to jeapordize that???

PD

I wen to TLC.com & wrote them a little note...
Due to the recent photo of Kat Von D with the comments & swastika and a flaming Star of David on it, I will no longer watch ANY of this company's channels. I am shocked & angered at this company allowing this. After all, I have seen programming on your channels showing how handwriting analyst works, and it is proved to be 99 percent positive that it was Kat that wrote this. I have family that died in the Holocaust, and this is so very ugly. I can not believe this company is supporting this. But then again, it's all about who & what is making you money. Good day & thank you for your time.

If it really ofens you, do the same...

Wow my goodnesss

Speaking about IQ's I just got a tiny tat and my IQ is 149. I'm now working on my Masters while holding a BA in Criminal Justice. Yes, I protect you people. When you run away I (we) run in and you're very welcome. To 106-haha, to 116-interesting, to 127-calm down and worry about important things like our soldiers fighting and dying for our right to this free speech.
Again, you are welcome.

CrabbyPatty

Well, just freaking look at her! You expect her to be nice??? She probably eats newborns for lunch and aborted fetuses for dessert! ugh!

katncandy

Looks forged. She may have written the xo's and her signature but the rest doesn't look like it was written by the same person. If this happened way back when, it would have been made public then. There is no love lost between these two. I doubt she did it.

Nancy

I have to believe Ami on this one. Chris Garver was very supportive of Kat Von D. He brought her to Miami Ink and was upset when she was "let go". Kat wrote those comments and that swastika at the end. I doubt she realized that something she wrote, probably in anger, would come back to bit her in the a$$ so publicly. The same way TMZ went after Mel, I hope they give Kat the same treatment. She should not be on the air, I could careless how talented she is. It's time we all took a stand at racist, bigoted and offensive behavior.

Bubblebunny

Auntie Semite, How's things? Not very good...

Previous 15 Comments | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments