Academy Screws Renfro, In Memoriam

2/25/2008 3:34 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad RenfroSo in case you missed it, Brad Renfro was ignored during the "in memoriam" montage on the Oscars last night. You're not gonna believe the statement the Academy gave TMZ.

The tape featured 50 movie types who died in the last year. They included actors, studio execs, makeup artists, agents, and on and on. Renfro was nowhere to be seen. We asked the Academy why and they gave us the following statement: "It is simply not possible to include everyone in that segment."

Interesting. Renfro, whose credits include "The Client," "Apt Pupil" and "Sleepers," seems like a bigger player than Margaret Gardner, the head of the international division of a P.R. firm.

Someone in Renfro's world called the slap in the face "unbelievable and disgusting." We couldn't have said it better ourselves.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Molly

THis is pathetic and sad that they forgot someone so talented and Brad Renfro was a great actor....the academy awards are pathetic

Abby

Apparently the writers didn't hit the ground running. Welcome back idiots!

pohono

I didnt see a tribute to roy shnieider either and that too me is an even bigger slap!

Right...

Great call, TMZ! I was so upset because I waited for Brad's tribute moment and it never came. He was so talented and, if not for the drugs, had so much more to offer to the film industry.

alreadybad

Another reason NOT to watch the Oscars.

renee

i agree it's "unbeleivable and disgusting", but no more so than your little pictoral here of Renfro scowling down from heaven. Come on, TMZ!

rickster

it would be nice if those arrogant aholes in Hollywood would at least admit their faux pas in between counting all their dubloons.....

Kat

They only include people that were nominated for or, worked with a movie that was nominated for, or won an Oscar.

Kelli

The Academy and Heroin screwed Brad. They are about the same to me. Shout out to the troops.

Julie

I am sorry to say but he really was not that talented. If they honored every hack who thought they were an actor who died every year it would take days to watch the montage.

Michelle

That is total BS. I really liked Brad. He was one of my favorites. And the Client was an amazing movie.

Lindsay Jo

Did you see all the nobodys they had on there? And they could not include Brad Renfro???? I had heard of maybe 2 of the people in the segment!!!!!!!

LosCabos

This is the stupidest excuse i've ever read! They could've exclude one of the agents and put Renfro, i mean he was a well known actor, and everyone remembers him as Mark in the Client with Susan Sarandon. This is ridiculous.

I think the Academy forgot about him and has aknowledged they blew it big time and didn't know what to say cause that excuse is lame.

Standards are badly needed.

I so agree with Renee @1:15PM. Now, if he gets his hands on some lightning bolts, either TMZ
or the Academy are gonna get it.

Firefly69

Perhaps the Academy didn't want to show any sympathy for druggies. He wasn't as big as Heath Ledger, so they counted him out.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments