"Project Runway" Auf to Lifetime

4/7/2008 5:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bravo's diva-tastic reality show, "Project Runway," is hiking up its hemlines and jetting off to Lifetime.

NBC Universal, the parent company of Bravo, is not happy with its huge hit taking a walk and has filed a lawsuit in New York to stop the move. Sew you in court bitches!

According to Variety, NBC claims The Weinstein Co. denied them and Bravo a right of first refusal for the show -- read dibs -- on the show. They also say the Weinsteins didn't give NBC Universal the heads up that someone else had made an offer for "Runway." What's more, NBC said the Weinstein Co. continued to conduct "sham negotiations" (the nerve!) with the Peacock network after a deal was inked with Lifetime. Weinsteins doing shady business - really??

David Boies, the lawyer for the Weinstein Company, said in a statement: "We believe that this lawsuit is without merit."

Lifetime signed a five year deal beginning this November when the network will air "Runway's" sixth season.

Meanwhile, the ladies network is ecstatic to gain a program that is not about homicidal suburban moms out to sleep with their teenage cheerleader daughter's boyfriend - who has an eating disorder.

Lucy Phoenix

Sew what?

CVD

Why the hell would they move to Lifetime? It seems like Bravo/NBC would have tons more money to offer- and appeals to a wider audience than LIFETIME.

Yuck.

HRHKAT

Lifetime is kind of a boring ass network in the first place, i just think of frumpy middle aged housewives when i think of it, maybe a little fierce hot mess of Project Runway can make it more hip, but then again it could kill the show completely, becuase i doubt the gays will move away from Bravo so. NBC better offer some big money to keep it.

Amy

Maybe now it won't come on so late. As long as they don't change it too much, I will be ok.

TMZhires13yearolds

I don't care where it's at. I'll follow it.

Diana

I just dont understand how they are going to do Season 6 in Nov 2008 what about Season 5???
Simultaneous broadcasting??
30 designers?? 2 design rooms?? heidi klum and tim gunn running back and forth between the bravo set and the lifetime set??

Is it gonna be challenges designing for "REAL WOMEN" --- PROJECT DOILLIES ANYONE?? :(

SNELLY

Those mommy types will sanitize the crap out of tha show! Ugh!!!

VoteRep

Say "aufeidersein" or however you spell it to the blonde host and the show would be much better!!! She is incredibly irritating, but no so irritating that I can remember her name........what is it?????

MNelson

gary

A lot of cable companies, especially in smaller towns, still don't carry bravo, probably because of the gay stigma attached to it. The only problem i have with it changing to lifetime is that they probably won't replay it constantly like bravo does.

Sabrina

10. Project Runway is quite possibly the BEST program on TV (next to Medium and the Office, of course), and quite frankly, I could not care less if it were on Bravo or on NBC. The part that I DO care about is that I hope whichever channel has it that the show will maintain its quality. It is shot well, edited well, and most importantly, does the thing that most reality tv can not and does not do - show people actually doing something amazing. The designers who the show features are the most artisitic, talented people on tv. No BS- they draw, choose fabrics, sew, tailor, and are all very inspired by their own inner muses as well as external factors like New York City, where the show is shot; the models, who play a minor role, thank god; and whatever schooling or vocation they have in addition to their own craft. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW. PLEASE LET IT GO ON FOREVER. Sincerely, M. Nelson

Posted at 10:21PM on Apr 7th 2008 by Michelle Nelson

I agree. I think it's one of the best shows on tv, too. I do wish they would bleep out some of the more vulgar language, though. My 10 year old likes to watch it on video, and I feel it's got too much bad language. Otherwise, it's just good fun. I'll watch no matter which network shows it.

kristen

WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO MOVE TO LIFETIME?!?! Seems like a stupid idea to me. Probably just a way to get more money from NBC.

Karen

Shirley

That's fierce!

Sabrina

13. A move to lifetime would mean I won't be watching. Why should I have to pay more for cable just to get Lifetime? Love the show but will find something else to watch when it moves.

Posted at 10:52AM on Apr 8th 2008 by KN

Don't you have to pay for the cable to get Bravo? Don't both networks come with most cable packages?

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments