Wesley Gets Three Years!!!

4/24/2008 6:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wesley SnipesA judge has just sentenced Wesley Snipes to three years in prison for tax evasion. Forget black -- always bet on the U.S. government!

Snipes was not forced to surrender immediately. Instead, the judge ruled he could surrender at a later date, closer to his New Jersey home.

Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department's Tax Division, said, "Snipes' long prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him and his co-defendants ... as inmates in prison."

Snipes was convicted in February on three misdemeanor charges for not filing his taxes. The government claimed he owed $2.7 mil -- but Snipes' attorneys argued it was just $228,000. No fine was imposed, but the three-year sentence was the max he could have gotten.

Celebrity friends Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson wrote letters in his defense to appeal for leniency. Oh well ...

Kelli

Better yet just try and be a little bit more winsome and feel better.

Financial Investigator

Jennifer Lopez husband Mark Anthony owns the government 4-Million in back taxes, I guess their goes the millions she got for her babies picture, or he will cell mates with Wesley Snipes.

2drk2fck

Guess Gainesville Green cant pay the bills after all

Me, myself and I

I haven't filed for years because my life got so screwed-up by my ex. I asked the IRS to force my ex to give me a proper W-2, they said they would, but they never did. I just got lost in the system.

Most of my income has been tax free because it's "court awarded". Now, they have been doing back withholding because I keep my money in a bank, instead of under my mattress. All my life, I paid my taxes on time and the correct amount. I did all my personal tax returns by myself, and paid estimated taxes when there was no withholding by an employer.

They just kept the estimated taxes, without giving me any credit for them, because I wasn't able to file. I couldn't file because they wouldn't force my ex to give me a valid W-2. You can't move on to the next year, without resolving the previous year. Yes, I have lost complete faith in the tax system.

Maybe, Wesley DID knowingly try to avoid income taxes on his income. Maybe, he didn't know he was doing that. I don't see how putting him in prison for 3 years wp America safe from this "OMG" tax evader.

Grayheck

Wow! Don't you think they are going a little overboard sentencing him to a SUPERMAX prison? Come on...this guy is an ACTOR:

someguy

Wow, just goes to show that intelligence is not a given with fame. Snipes, you are a DUMBASS!!!!

tami

Truly , this is so wrong , pedofiles get what, free on bail or 30 days for ruining a childs live , if the prosecuters spent more time on pedofiles this world would be a better place , but wait >>>>>>>>.... they dont have money for them to take , so i guess poor wesley will pay up , WOW , id rather have a bunch of people not paying taxes then a bunch a sic fs running around raping kids , thats just my opinion , but obviousley some would rather have the creeps out there strolling for kids , And hey wes has never been in any trouble but yet these phedo can go thru the system like in and out burger ,and the proscuters still let them out ,,, this is so wrong ,

tami

WOW you people dont get it . The pedofiles get to walk , is that ok with you . if the proscuter spent the m,oney like they did for wesley snipes trial , dont you think this would be a better world , but hell no , they go after people with money , i am not rich , trust me , but id rather our tax dollers are used to putting away somone ,who terrizes our children , they focus on putting away people with money , , I am not sorry this is wrong , just so fn wrong , .............................................

Dee

HEEHEEHAHA I'm glad he got the max. Now hopefully this will send a message to the rest of Hollywood that no matter how much money you make or how many movies you make you still have to pay your taxes.

move over lutfi

#107....are you Obama's preacher?? what's his name.. Reverend Wright??!! Move out if you don't like America's laws. it's not hard, pack a bag and leave. Get a life, people. it wasn't racist. the man didn't do what the rest of us do each paycheck .. pay his taxes. If you don't like paying your taxes..you will get the room next to snipes when the goverment gets you. I am SICK of the racist card everytime someone black or white feels something is unjust. It is really an uneducated response, overused and a poor way to represent your race.

G. Hallowgreen

I am happy that he got this sentence, because we can not accept that person tries to avoid to pay taxes. The fact that he is a public person and a star makes it more dangerous.

Take a lot of the other stars convicted of drug-use, DUI's, battery's and resisting arrest. His crime is far more serious due to the message it sells.

When the other stars do their mainstream crime as almost a tradition when it comes to work in the entertainment industry, they sell this message to our children:

"You are not a robot. Remember to live in the present. Relax and spend your money for the good of us rest."

His crime send this message: "Don't care about the society you live in."

That is why I think that his time in prison would not be one second too short. Maybe the last year is question about his skin color, but in this case I do not care. You don't cheat a society in this way.

angelina

He had a multi million dollar career, fame all of this from going from dead ass broke in the projects. He should have been grateful that someone with suspect looks, I never understood what anyone saw in him, made it to the top. He should have been more than happy to pay his taxes, and be thankful everyday that he was in the 1% of the population that actually makes it in Hollywood especially being Black. He is an ididot! I hate to say it but I think he deserves what he got for trying to be slick and he should have known better, never better on black in the COURT SYSTEM!

t.b

#13 Its not racists, this is Florida. Florida does not screw around like California. They dont let people go to jail for 81 minutes. By the way, Leona Hemsley went to prison and she was an old white lady.

t.b

There is also a big difference between state and federal charges. Federal, they arent really lenient.

HO

Hey #13 - can you say Leona Helmsley??!!