« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Star: Wal-Mart Left Kids Out in the Cold

5/14/2008 4:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Andre JohnsonNFL superstar Andre Johnson claims his charity got stiffed by Wal-Mart -- it all involves water and ice. Yes, ice.

Johnson ordered 750 bicycles to be given to underprivileged kids at an event sponsored by the Andre Johnson Foundation -- in return for the purchase, Wal-Mart agreed to donate water and ice for the May 3 event.

But there was a problem with the order, so Johnson ended up buying fewer bikes than planned. Wal-Mart countered by not giving the water and ice as promised. That's cold.

Wal-Mart is trying to rectify the situation. They tell TMZ, "We are reaching out to the Andre Johnson Foundation as we speak to rectify the situation. It's disappointing that this happened."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

crus

Wal-mart will be just fine, the people who want to boycott them, go ahead, it's your right, and I and billions of other people thoughout the world will keep shopping there, it's our right. a-holes

alreadybad

Come om TMZ, give us the name of the wal-mart honcho who made the decision NOT to provide the water and ice. Throw in the phone number for us too.

Cindy

Yep - Walmart at its best. They only charity they are interested in is how much they can get from someone else for free. They have squeezed the mom and pop stores out of business, bullied their suppliers to meet their price demands and hired managers at their store that treat the employees like boot camp inductees. Walmart is not the greatest thing on earth - and the sooner we all realize it the better we will all be. The best way to do this is to work for them for 3 months. I did. And I have a real hard time walking back into a Walmart store to purchase anything. Heil Hilter is more like it.

Hoosier chick

Didn't Wal-mart "rectify" another situation recently. I remember a woman who was badly injured or sick who ended up receiving a settlement and then Wal-Mart went after her settlement. I very rarely shop at Wal-Mart anymore. Target is soooo much better. Low class...low class! They should be ashamed!

crus

Excuse me, TMZ, must not be a football fan, Andre Johnson is far from a superstar, not even a star, only die hard NFL
fans would even know who he is. He's giving to charity? Teriffic, and I mean that, but I believe 95% of people would give
that much to charity too, if they made 10 million dollars a year like atheletes and actors. I know they don't have too, I really think it is nice, but, quit making out these stars and atheletes as heroes because they give so much. I am sure the 100.00 bucks I give to "make a wish" hurts me more fianancially than the bikes hurt him.

On the cheap

I'm not surprised at all by this... I unfortunately worked for Wal-Mart and for the staff children christmas party the gifts they gave the kids were the broken ones which were returned or never put on the shelves from the Claims area. The store wrote the toys off as losses and then gave them to the kids instead of spending the minimal money on gifts for the kids. I guess they figured they were paying us lucky associates $8.00/hr... what the hell MORE did they expect?!? Nice eh?

RITE ING KLAS

BOYCOTT WAL-MART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM RETURNING MY PURCHASES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twinker

You guys are right on Target!

Liz

Can you tell us the city where this happened? The location? Managers name?

kim

BOYCOTT WALMART!!!!! They are largest US retailer with lowest charitable contributions. The Walmart kids are known to be super cheap and hoarde their money and do not donate to any charities. Greedy bastards! They go itno 3rd world countries and have people make their stuff super cheap than say "look how we saved this village and brought them all this $" They could save millions with all the money that store grosses but no they have to pretend they are saviors when they just used forced labor and dont donate to any charities!

alreadybad

Joyce c
What an idiot you are. You must work for that stupid ass company.

crus

Ya, that's because Mom and Pop have been ripping us off for years! And, if it's so bad to work there, why do millions of people actually work there??

Lucy Phoenix

"Last time I checked, water was free. Posted at 3:57PM on May 14th 2008 by damntheman"

What country do you live in? You carry a bucket to a creek or something? Water does cost money. Somebody gets a bill for the water that comes from faucets.

However, walmart sure could have afforded to supply bottled water and ice.

S

I SAW WE ALL BOYCOTT WAL-MART, I MEAN REALLY THESE ARE POOR KIDS, THEY COULD DONATE WATER AND ICE, SUCH BS. BOYCOTT WAL-MART!!! BOYCOTT WAL-MART!!! SHAME ON THEM!!!!!

HeavenHelpHer

OK come on Mall-Wart! That is just a little bit greedy and selfish.