Violent Surfers Shred Paps Over McConaughey

6/22/2008 1:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A group of surfers just got gnarly on a group of paps -- all over photos of beach king Matthew McConaughey!

Around 12 photographers were on the beach in Malibu Saturday afternoon trying to get shots of Matty hitting the surf, when an all-out smackdown was laid on the pappers by turf-protecting surfers.

One pap was hit in the face and we're told suffered a broken nose, while another was thrown into some rocks and had his camera smashed. McConaughey was not involved in the ruckus.

Police tell us a battery report was filed by one photographer but no arrests have been made.

A rep for Matthew has yet to get back to us.

wtf

#95 Robert

Look at all those laws that the celebrities don't take advantage of... Maybe because the celebs want their picture taken? It sure looks like the law is on the celebs side but they do nothing. The paps and celebs have a love hate relationship. Those surfers and the people here have their panties in more of a twist over the paps then most celebs do.

weho420

surfer kids from mailbu hs or calabasis= LA TRASH...go paps do your job

hehe

#92

I noticed the irony too.

MALIBU LOCAL

Im glad this happened. One of the guys involved in this is actually shwayze and cisco adlers good friend. I went to high school with all the guys. As I can tell the paps had to had to have gone over somones property to get there the tide made it so. ayways it is annoying when I take my kids to the beach and the paps are at a private beach and its all for the same shot you will get all summer of matt at the beach. honestly i dont like seeing my kids on tmz later that night so please stop

titofrisky

Seriously? A battery charge? So, the pap feared imminent harm instead of being actually harmed, right, since this is the legal difference between the two charges and "assault" means that there was actual bodily contact? You people crack me up. It must be so traumatizing to follow people around and occasionally fear that they might be angered enough to (perhaps) hit you.

V

and yet people, here we are, looking at tmz. This is why they do it. I wouldn't let no surfer punk ass attack me. I'll get my homies to give them white boys a beat down. Look at them white boys trying to be gangsta.

stopSPEIDI

YAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

titofrisky

Maybe I'm crazy. Seems to me you can have both worlds: you can read and be interested in the lives of celebrities who, by virtue of their jobs put themselves in the public eye, and ppl don't have to worry about the prospect of imminent harm.

i

sweet brits needs to hire them lol

CyberCritic

They missed one....Harvey should have been there to get bitch slapped.....that would have made this the perfect story..

yer mom's soo effin hot!!

over MuCKHONAHUE!!!? out of all people?? MuCHonaHue? dang. i don't even wanna know what them dumbass surfers been smokin...but what they really gotta do is go back home to their cracked out moms and sleep it off...cuz her john just left his beer bottle up her p*ssy.

HARDY-HAR-HAR

NOT cool.

Patti

Where's the Poll, Harvey? Shouldn't there be a "Who was right?" question somewhere with this story? Afraid of the results? LOL

Celebrity news...paparazzi pictures do NOT have to be done by overzealous means. For years the paparazzi did just fine with their respectful public picture taking. Now they watch their celebrity 24/7. I really don't get how that is NOT stalking, but I'm sure legal mumbo jumbo makes it so. It has gotten out of control the last 10 years or so. It's ridiculous. Just because we enjoy reading celebrity news/gossip, does not mean I want 50 paparazzi surrounding some celebrity & their kid just for a picture of them getting in their car. Has everyone lost their common sense?

Team Surfers.

Terry

Maybe the surfers didn't want the employment office to see their picture

Patti

2 more comments.

1...are all paparazzi foreign? Do we know if that's a field where illegals are welcomed?

2. I wonder how the little TMZ TV show feels after getting owned by the TV Land Awards show. THAT had to hurt. hahahahaha