So You Think You Can Confirm Our Story

8/4/2008 5:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nigel Lythgoe has responded to TMZ's story this morning that he's leaving "American Idol."

As we first reported, Lythgoe will spend his time working on his show, "So You Think You Can Dance," as well as starting a joint venture with "A.I." creator Simon Fuller.

Lythgoe sent us a statement, which reads in part, "Due to the huge success of 'So You Think You Can Dance,' my summer will be taken up by travels to South Africa, Australia and Canada to work on local versions of the show. I will step back from my day-to-day producing work on 'American Idol' and will be devoting my time to a new venture with Simon Fuller. I have very much enjoyed my personal and professional relationship with Simon. He is without doubt, a man of vision, and I look forward to partnering with him on new and exciting challenges in all forms of entertainment."

Lythgoe also debunked rumors that he's leaving 19 Entertainment.

MsWaldo

He better get Mary Murphy off of "So You Think You Can Dance" or once-faithful viewers like myself will finally give up on her ridiculous hee-hawing, hiena laughing and screaming. I loved the show the first few seasons....but between Ms. Murphy and the lady that does the MC...ing, I couldn't take it anymore. You can't understand a word the little "British" woman is saying. I just don't watch it anymore.

D

is that suppose to be Simon on the left?
sure doesn't look like him.

Joanne

Too bad Simon Lythgoe can't replace loopy Paula Abdul. Then it would be "double the English accents." And snotty answers. And ban Randy from ever using the word "dog." I hate that!!!!

scooby

People often confuse entertainment manager Simon Fuller with the vicious British judge on the U.S. talent show American Idol. That's actually Simon Cowell.

So, that would be why!! I guess I don't pay attention to last names....

Cathy

I think that's Simon Fuller on the left....and I'm glad that Nigel is concentrating on SYTYCD......and I agree with MsWaldo---get rid of Mary Murphy. I can't stand her either. She's loud and abnoxious, I, too, can't stand her laughing, her screaming, her "get on board the tamale train!".....Enough is enough.....

larser

Yes, get rid of that weird Mary Murphy. and maybe I can keep that program on more then 20 mins. Who thought she was a good addition?

Alan

WHO GIVES A S---?

pinhead

I cant stand any of those shows the contestants suck, too bit lame ass singers covering old hits badly for a little money who cares. It sucks! Walk across the street to the Musicans Institute and have some of those real singers and muscians on then we are talking. That girl from AZ sung at the new stadium in Glendale I my head almost exploded she is horrible! Ok her father played in the NFL I would rather watch get tackeled then sing. Go back to the UK!