Travolta's Son -- Fatal Blow to Head

1/3/2009 2:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned what may have killed Jett Travolta, and it's not what police have suggested.

We've spoken with John Travolta's lawyer and close friend, Michael McDermott, and family attorney Michael Ossi, both of whom are with John in the Bahamas. They tell TMZ it appears Jett's fatal injury was the result of hitting his head on the bathtub, toilet seat, or both. And they say the intimation that Jett went undiscovered for hours is absolutely false.

Police have said the last time anyone saw Jett was when he went to the bathroom on January 1. His body was discovered by nanny Jeff Kathrein the next day at 10 AM. In fact, McDermott and Ossi say it appears Jett went back and forth to his room and the fatal injury occurred "very shortly" before Jett was found on the bathroom floor -- McDermott called it a "small window of time."

McDermott and Ossi tell us two nannies were present on the trip and Jeff was by his side 24/7. There was a baby monitor device by Jett's side and there was also a chimer in the bathroom when the door opened.

McDermott and Ossi say it is still unclear if Jett fell to the floor as a result of a seizure or if he had a seizure after falling or slipping. There was blood on the floor of the bathroom, but "not a tremendous amount." It appears the striking of Jett's head was the cause of death, though it won't be clear until the autopsy is performed Monday morning.

Jett's body will be embalmed Monday afternoon. There will be a local showing on Tuesday and later that day the body will be flown to Ocala, Fla. for burial.

McDermott says both John and Kelly are night owls. John often goes to sleep at around 5 AM. But McDermott says both nannies were at the hotel and Jeff always present.

McDermott tells us a hotel manager was first on scene with Jeff and the two of them administered CPR. John came in shortly thereafter and John took over for a "substantial period of time [and] was performing CPR and continued that until EMT came and took over."

McDermott says as for Travolta and Preston, the pain is "unimaginable and unquantifiable."

UPDATE: The Grand Bahamas health minister confirms that the autopsy will be conducted by two pathologists to ensure a proper evaluation has been made. A clinical and forensic pathologist from Nassau, that is U.S. certified, will fly into Grand Bahama on Monday to help perform the autopsy.

rfjason

I think it's clear that Travola murdered his son when he privately announced to the family that he intends to reject Scientology.

There is NO escaping the cult.

Laura

I would like to say that i am so sorry for your lost my heart goes out to you and the family you are in my prayeres

Lisamst

I feel very sad for the Travolta family and have them in my prayers.

But I especially feel sorry for the JERKS that leave comments about a person’s faith, in a time such as this. I wish you train spotter go jump!!!

As for Tom Cruise, you people have nothing better to do than criticise someone because they are more human than your selves! Again you bottom of the toilet cynics go jump!

Jill

This child's death is a direct resoult of his parents' bad choices and unfortunately for him, he got to pay for it. No 16 year old should die, especailly when that death could in all likelihood have been prevented.

goldenaz4

A child has died.

Who cares what his parent's religion is? Who cares what country he was visiting? Who cares who was supposed to be watching him? Who cares what disease he may or may not have had? Who cares what his parent's did for a living? Who cares what his physical appearance was? Who cares about any of that garbage?

A child has died. It is the most heartbreaking thing in the world. As a parent, I cannot imagine the Travolta's grief. As a human being, I cannot do enough to share my condolences. As a person with a conscience, I can do no more than ignore the mean-spirited shots at the family & friends of this child & hope that they find some kind of comfort in the coming days. And hope to God that this never happens to me or my children...

Lisamst

I feel very sad for the Travolta family and have them in my prayers.

Bex

I think it's terrible these people hid this child in a closet all these years, and what's worse, they forced they zany views on an innocent child! Had they sought medical attention (sounds like they never did) this kid would still be alive. I just hope someone does something for the little girl before it's too late.....

Clive

Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult, where a science fiction writer came up with a religion to make money by telling people all their problems are caused by aliens. And that includes psychological problems and diseases like autism.

n.

I believe the public have way too much information regarding this.

Redskins fan

I agree with some of the other posters. This family just lost their son. I am sure none of you who have children would want people talking about your religion and your child in your time of grief. I believe the only reason you do it is because you are too chicken s*** to say something like this to someone's face...sit at your computer and post these rude and insensitive messages. I really like John Travolta and Kelly Preston. I do not agree with their religion and I know nothing about their son. I would like to offer my heartfelt condolences at their time of grief and sorrow. We are supposed to be showing compassion people, not judgement.

Lisamst

I will like to comment to the person by the name of Chris whom left the following comment:

I wish people like you just shout your face and go bury you head it is obvious you don’t have a brain!!!!!

Lisa in England

“79. Several people have posted that they are going to "pray" for the family. Who exactly are you going to pray to? The Travolta's do NOT believe in God, so please show HIM the respect that they don't and leave HIM alone. Yes, that may sound harsh, but they made their bed and now they are going to have to sleep in it!
Posted at 2:27PM on Jan 3rd 2009 by Chris

Ladybird

I take anti seizure medication for migraines. I have had one seizure in the past and according to my doctor it is not unusual for an individual to have at least one seizure in their lifetime. I was lucky, I happen to be laying down at the time of my seizure.

I have friends that have seizures and they can't always be controlled.

Protective parents could have taken the precautions of having a nanny, door chimes, baby monitor's, etc. because of the seizures or just as a precaution in the event of a seizure. If you have ever seen someone having one, it is quite scary. Anyway, if the child is autistic (I have a friend with three autistic children) it is none of our business.

Many religions have "rules to live by", I personally don't think there is much different in restricting certain types of health care and not eating pork. It is all personal choices that should be respected under their freedom of religon.

I feel for John and Kelly, they have a hard time ahead of them. Loosing a child is the hardest thing that could ever happen to any parent. Yes, they are public figures, yes, this is news worthy. I just don't think the public has the right to know every detail of Jett's private life who was not a public figure. Give them all the respect they diserve.

Bunnytooth

My guess is Tom Cruise will not go on a rant. He cannot afford to embarrass himself a this point because he has to think of his new movie and how it would hurt the ratings...meaning MONEY/ After all, he swallowed his supposed pride (doubtful) to apologize to Matt about the "glibb" statement. WHY? A movie promotion of course. The guy is a joke and so phony.

I can never understand why ANYONE would think of Scientology as a religion. It is a cult with believes that harm others. What choice did Jett have to run away from it. Most 16 year old kids drive, make decisions and have ideas. Not a chance in hell that Preston and Travolota would have allowed him that choice.

Just so disappointed that these people follow a cult that does not allow proper medical care and encourages DENIAL of physical disabilities.

By the way, did anyone see that photo of Katie walking around NYC looking half dead? She should hurry back to CA, She needs a brain washing and whatever else they do to keep her in mind. For the love of money...she would put up with anything.

Lisamst

I have no idea why people such as your selves would leave terrible comments about something you don’t or chose not to understand. How dare you judge this family!

GET OFF THE CROSS!!!

Lisa England

Noms

Lisamst, you can spam all you want but people are allowed to leave their opinions, even if those opinions go against yours.