"Idol" Apologizes For "Threatened" Judges

1/29/2009 4:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

American Idol"American Idol" now has its tail between its legs after Simon and Paula confused a Kentucky contestant's kind, Southern goodbye for a "threat" on their lives.

This statement was just posted on the "A.I." website:

"We apologize to any viewers who were offended by the misinterpretation of the contestant's comment to "be careful" upon completion of his audition in Louisville, KY.

Our visits to audition cities are relatively brief and sometimes regional greetings and salutations are lost in translation. We had not heard that phrase from any other contestants during the day, so it took everyone by surprise.

We now know better and look forward to visiting Louisville again someday.
"

stephc5

Glad to see that they saw the error of their ways and apologized!

Now y'all be careful!

The Truth

Well that's what they deserve for crossing the line for the sake of "good television." Wag of the finger to you American Idol...

bayouman

I'm 42 and have lived my entire life the south and I have NEVER heard that as a form of goodbye. It might be a local colloquialism to that region of Kentucky, but it's not a widespread "southern" sign off by any means.

Who Caresss!!!

Paula and douche bag Simon need to do a PSA - on stupidity!! Leave it to Simon for causing the ruckus in the first place, "Is that a threat? I take that as a threat.." IDIOT!!

BlueberryMuffin

Oh POOOOOO...EVERYONE has heard the salutation "be careful" or used it...So don't LIE. If those words were taken out of context then they are feeling guilty about something or they smoked their lunch.

MamaSan

I call BULL-SH*T on this one TMZ, it wasn't the viewers who were offended about these guys comments ,it was the judges, you know it, the viewers know it, and so do the judges. How dare A.I. imply that it was this contestent's words that were offending to the viewers, not the behavior and the reaction from all three judges. BULLSH*T,BULLSH*T,BULLSH*T.
The majorioty of America saw with their own two eyes, and come from places where phases such as" Ya'll come back now'", or "Ya'll be careful now", is not only commonplace but it is AMERICANA at its finest. Shame on the judges and A.I., for proving and showing me as a viewer, just how out of touch, they are with the American public., and for trying to insult my intelligence with this back-handed, back-door- below-the belt-. lame, under the bus, piss poor excuse of a statement.

Bill

Jesus saves
But Moses INVESTS

Capt Jack

Keep in mind, the judges just went through the situation, where the female stalker that has been haunting Paula, killed herself outside of Paula's own home. This person was even allowed to audition on American Idol. So if the judges are a little gun shy, its understandable.

Just a Bill

Simon and Paula are freaks, why should this surprize anyone. They are so in love with themselfs someone should kick their ass to bring them back to the real world.

j9

Stop being so hyper sensitive America. Political correctness strikes again.

brian

Being from the south I have both said and told to be careful when leaving someone else's home. I think it is basically said to mean be careful getting home.

Buster

Hell, I have heard that used in AZ. Go Cards! Steelers, be careful.

devin

Between crazy a$$ Paula and snobby A$$ Simon this show is in the toilet! You have insulted about half the people who watch your retarded show.

mommyof2

I vaguely remember this as a sign off on the original Dukes of Hazzard tv show. "ya'll be careffull now, ya hear?" Does anyone else remember this?

I Will Take Being Born White Any Day - Thats Worth Much More To Me, #6

Hey from Bama. Lived here all my life, have heard the expression many times throughout said life, along with "Let's just pretend you're not my cousin."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments