« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lakers Legend Claims Clippers Steered by Racist

2/12/2009 3:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Elgin BaylorFormer legendary L.A. Laker Elgin Baylor has just filed a lawsuit against the L.A. Clippers and the NBA, claiming he's the victim of rampant racial discrimination.

In the lawsuit, filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, Baylor -- who was unceremoniously dismissed as VP and General Manager last October -- claims the team has "egregious salary disparities" based on race. Baylor claims he was told to "induce African American players to join the Clippers, despite the Clippers' reputation of being unwilling to fairly treat and compensate African American players." Baylor says the owner, Donald Sterling, has a "pervasive and ongoing racist attitude."

Baylor cites the case of NBA player Danny Manning, where Sterling allegedly said, "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor Black kid." The suit claims Sterling repeatedly referred to the team as "poor Black kids" and "he wanted a White coach directing the Clippers." Sterling is being sued as well.

Baylor says he personally got stiffed, only being paid $350,000 a year since 2003, when a "Caucasian head coach was given a 4 year, 22 million dollar contract."

Here's the best part. The suit says, "At all relevant times mentioned here, Mr. Baylor was an African American male over the age of 40."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

poopsi

TO #12 THEN WHAT THE HELL IS TRAILOR PARK TRASH ,OH! MY BAD , THAT MAY BE YOU, GET A LIFE LOSER

JD

I wish I was black so I could blame all my problems and faults on someone else.

poopsi

TO #26 BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR , I DON,T THINK YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, MAYBE IF SOME OF YOUR PEOPLE PLAYED FAIR WE WOULD,T HAVE TO COMPLAIN, DON,T USE BLACK FOLK FOR YOUR INSECURITIES, AND YOUR FAILURES IN LIFE

keena

blacks think that paying your rent on time means you're kissing the white man's ass.

CSMIL08

OMG call in Jesse Jackoff and Al Sharptooth to suck the blood out of the black community around the Clippers. Next thing we know the Chinese will file a suit against Miley Cyrus. Wait that is happening....lordie the world we live in. Scream racism whenever you get the chance to try and get some money. You know I think I am going to file a suit against the NBA since there are only 1% of white people playing basketball and they make less money than all the blacks....wait a sec...we are talking the NBA (Does anyone really watch the NBA??) that would be worthless. To many thugs and morons in the league that I might get beat down like Rihanna. Elgin, you went from being a basketball icon to falling to the ranks of Jesse and Al who are as worthless as they come!!! Scream racism some more you bigot!!!

TT

THE OLD "RACE CARD" TRICK!

scooter murphy

everyone is mexican in LA anna rios. what's your point? i'm mexican and i've never used racism as an excuse for anything. i must be off-white or something.

Ramond

OH GOD....now i lost all respect for this African American. cmon ..what was he getting paid when with the Lakers? he has made millions of dollars from the clippers organization and what has he done? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! look at mitch kupchak, in a few years he has brought back real basketball to L.A ( uh oh ..he is white....here it comes now) The only thing I can say is that Elgin has been on too long with the clippers and he is your typical "chip on the shoulders " mentality. His letter to Don should start like this " I thank you for the opportunity to try and make something of this organization for over 20yrs and I failed...........but me and my family live alot better now than I did when I was with the Lakers....thank you ". Oh by the way Elgin...you are a manager ...not a coach ....coaches make more money to lead a team ..not manager. If you want more moooooney....try being a coach .....WHAT A FRIGGIN CRYBABY

tiger4life

ONCE THE JUDGE TAKES A LOOK AT THE 22 DRAFT CHOICES ELGIN MADE, I'M SURE THIS SUIT WILL BE TOSSED VERY FAST. COME ON ELGIN...GIVE IT A REST.....

99centz

Elgin Baylor is the bomb!1958 he led the SEATTLE UNIVERSITY CHIEFTANS to ncaa final 4 & was voted mvp even though they lost the championship to kentucky in 3 over times & led the los angeles lakers to there first nba championship & was screwed by the cheap donald trump of the west who wouldnt let him sign any decent players!!!

Mike

If he wasn't being paid what he felt he should, then he should have gone elsewhere. It irritates me when people abuse the Civil Rights Act. It was never designed to ensure you make 7 figures, or even to ensure you receive the same level of pay as your colleges. He accepted the position for what it paid. He agreed to do the job when he always had the option of saying “no thank you” and going elsewhere. For him to now say he was cheated is absurd.

Even if what he says is true, and Donald Sterling is a racist, so what? He has a right to be a racist as a free American. Being a racist is not actionable. Outing Donald Sterling as a racist is one thing, and the public will punish him for being ignorant by turning him into a pariah. Using the American judicial system is absurd! I hope he loses his case and is forced to pay the cost of the defense. What a waste of time and tax payer money to prosecute such a frivolous lawsuit.

whocares

This is a sad story. The Clippers have for years and years been a weak team. You cannot pay people for lack of success. I had season tickets to the Golden State Warriors for years going back to the late 80's, so from that time on most NBA teams rosters are dominated by mostly black players. When the league started recruiting players from Europe we saw the numbers of white players go back up a little. I feel sometimes teams, leagues, the sports shows are forced to bring on minorities including women. I just want to see the best player no matter the race and the best qualified worker no matter the race, Baylor should have gone a while ago, he just was taking space on on the payroll to which he feels he should be compensated for poor performance.

CSMIL08

wow shame you are as big of a bigot as Elgin. Good job!!! So tired of hearing whites don't know their culture or history. We know it....we actually know it well...just some of us that are younger are tired of hearing what happened years ago and giving people like this idiot the right to use the race card anytime he wishes. Its why white, Mexican, other African American people read a story and laugh at this guy. Just as most if not all laugh at rev Al and Jesse for pulling the same kind of stunts this clown is doing. Drop the racism crap please!!!
He is wasting our tax money...why? Cause he did a terrible job and thinks he deserves something. Little hint Elgin, you sucked with the Clippers and they owe you nothing!!!! It doesn't matter if you are black, white, red or anything else. Its called business and you sucked at it...so drop the case and get lost with your millions you made milking the Clippers.

NAB

CSMIL08 ..funny the only commit you saw as bigot was when whites were being talked about..typical, since you say whites know their history tell me what is your history...and tell me what does your history consist of ..killing, hate, jealousy, stealing, deception, envy..should I continue..

I'm waiting for you to tell me if your history doesn't consist of one or all of the above! I state facts not stereotypes..so if you want me to breakdown incidence of all of th above I will..I have no hate..I really pity yall.

sandrawinfrey@comcast.net

#. 15 lonnie,

You are showing the extent of your lack of education, ignorance and overall stupidity. If mexicans are dirty why do so many whites hire them to clean. Think about what you said the next time you go out to eat. Look around the mall next time you are out, do you see dirty blacks? You idiot. Wish you could post a picture of yourself, I bet your shoes are worn and dirty. I bet you do not bath in the mornings because you went swimming last night. It's time you join the real world and stop displaying your backward ways, besides, noone wants to rent in your bloody trailer park.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments