Revlon:

Is Rihanna

A Flawed Covergirl?

3/14/2009 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0312_rihanna_covergirl_ex-1Revlon has secretly hired a huge polling company to find out if Rihanna is hurting its competitor, Covergirl.

An online survey is circulating by the folks over at Harris Interactive. The survey -- which we've learned was commissioned by Revlon -- features a Covergirl commercial for mascara. It then questions people if they are aware of the person in the commercial (without saying Rihanna's name), if they've heard about her in the news lately, if they have an opinion about the person and if they feel the person is "an appropriate spokesperson" for the product.

The obvious implication here -- are women pissed off that Rihanna got back with Chris Brown and therefore would be less likely to buy Covergirl products? That's what we're thinking.

We confirmed with Harris Interactive that the poll is a "proprietary study by Revlon" -- translation: no one was supposed to know Revlon was doing recon on its competitor.

We spoke with someone at Revlon who said she'd get back to us. We're still waiting.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Michael Madsen

Pull the covers over this one and put her to bed right next to Phelps.
You know what they say: Sponsor THis!

Ann

Tinalouise

I really don't see how she is hurting Cover Girl at all. If someone likes the product they will buy it no matter what, even if Phyllis Diller is pushing it. The only one Rhianna is hurting right now is herself and that is her business and no one elses.

xcalibur

HAHAHA, SOUNDS LIKE REVLON IS DOING A TEST RUN TO SEE IF RIHANNA SHOULD GET A CONTRACT. LOW NUMBERS SHE'S OUT, HIGH NUMBERS AND HER ASS IS KISSED. MONEY TALKS BS WALKS.

Tanya

Absolutely! She's representing CoverGirl and I am sure a large part of their customers are YOUNG women who look up to Rhi Rhi. Going back to your batterer is not the message I want my daughter to receive. If it ever happens to her, God forbid, I want her to be FIERCE and kick his sorry arse to the curb not think "well Rhianna did it".

Michael Madsen

Look, it's really quite simple. What make-up company is going keep an out front photo representative that uses their product to cover-up the battered remains of her face so she can sing sing a duet with the Batterer?
A little too morbidly ironic even for the lurid world of advertising.
Ad folks run from this kind of publicity. Their business is built on cowardice for profit.

GGG

"Rihanna is violent too and that is one of the reasons why she is back with chris brown. She thinks she has him right where she wants him now. His career is over, and he is working her to help him get it back. She thinks that since he needs her and has shown some contrition, that she can call the shots now. Violent people are control freaks, and she thinks she is in control right now. Violent couples also have passionate make up sex, and that keeps a lot of battered and beaten women hooked. Once she realizes that her fans and their parents are going to write her off completely and end her career as well as his if she stays with him, that might convince her not to do that. Her publicists and agents and lawyers and producers are all telling her not to risk she and brown’s tandem endorsements (they don’t care if she lives or dies, as long as they get their money). She is being played and used and isolated from her father. Her greed and her participation in violence, plus not wanting to cross Diddy, who wants her to put her life on the line, are powerful lures to stay in hell with a monster. I hope she lets go of her need to control other people. I hope she thinks about the horrifying message she is sending to young women and young men. She will never survive choosing brown over her dad."

muybonita

It's horrible to victimize a victim - but she is a role model to young women whether she likes it or not. And Chris Brown not only hit her - HE BIT HER!! BIT HER! WTF?!! Who does that?!! For her to go back with him and record a duet is pathetic and makes her look pathetic.

GGG

Covergirl should drop Rihanna. What message are they sending to young girls? This whole abuse issue is HUGE!!! I would not pay for any product that represents abuse. From the receint talk, Rihanna is an abuser as well. I SAY DROP HER COVERGIRL!

GGG

Ann said it perfectly!!!! "She is perfect for Covergirl....Cover them bruises and scratches when you get beat by yo man. That is her new slogan! "

Divashels

first off she is fat and ugly so start there .....now who the hell would want here as spokesperson ? she aint even close to beautiful if you think so get an eye test stoopid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric

I WROTE COVERGIRL AND TOLD THEM THEY SHOULD DROP HER. NO I AM NOT GOING TO BUY ANY COVER GIRL PRODUCTS IF THEY CONTINUE TO HAVE THEM HAS HER SPOKESWOMAN. I USED TO LIKE HER, BUT NOW SHE SAD AND PATHETIC. I HATE SEEING HER OR HEARING HER. I WOULD NOT BUY A PRODUCT THAT HAD HER OR CHRIS BROWN ON IT. I HAVE STOPPED BUYING PRODUCTS FOR PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT HER AND CHRIS BROWN.

Michael Madsen

CoverGirl won't be covering this one up.She's history. Cuts way too close to the product. Her only chance would be to renounce the attacker - her mistake was going right back to the Slap Happy Beater. Although they did cover-up Rihanna's protruding forehead with those bangs.
Beauty - it's all about the cover-up.
Including this ad campaign.

Annie

I was shocked the other night when I saw Rihanna on the Covergirl commercial; and I have to admit that it made me totally disrepect Covergirl for having kept her. Yes, she has a very beautiful look; but she's tarnished her image in the biggest way by going back to her abuser [and now even to the point of recording a LOVE SONG with him??!! GAG!] So by continuing to run its ads and commercials with her in them, CoverGirl is as good as bestowing its seal of approval on her lifestyle. So for sure I will not be continuing to buy their products. With this one act of idiocy, they have sent me, post haste, to their competitors. I won't be bankrolling people who abuse others or the people stupid enough them to allow them a subsequent opportunity.

Michael Madsen

Annie, I would be honored to apply your lip gloss.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments