Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza"

3/15/2009 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jackie MasonComedian Jackie Mason used what some say is a racial epithet in describing President Barack Obama during his act Thursday night, infuriating at least several people in the crowd.

During a performance at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC, Mason referred to Obama as a "schwartza" -- some say it's equivalent to the "N" word -- others say it's just part of the Yiddish culture and a literal translation of the word "Black."

We're told one person walked out fuming, "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

We spoke with Mason by phone a few minutes ago, and he was outraged at the criticism, saying, "I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against Blacks. What about the demeaning words Blacks say about Jews?"

Mason added, "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." Mason called people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "professional racists."

Mason added, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

And there was this parting shot: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."

UPDATE:
Rev. Al Sharpton just sent us this statement:

"At this stage in Jackie's life and career he should get our prayers more than our responses. It is sad that maybe he forgot he used the same term against Mayor David Dinkins when he was elected the first African-American Mayor of New York City and got in trouble for it. As for him attacking me, maybe he forgot that he has had me on his TV show and has taken me to dinner and commended me for forgiving a white male who tried to kill me by stabbing me while I was leading a non-violent march. I'm sure Jackie just forgot."

Money Talks

I'm so grateful for the fact that I am not a black living in the U.S. Imagine having to put up with those insults, every day, all the time. Even with a black President, no black is safe from racism, shame. As human beings we are all children of God, He loves us all, so how about a little tolerance instead of anger. Mr Mason was very uncool in his remarks.

me 2

Come on TMZ stop trying to make something out of nothing. The pressure to be "PC" has made everyone afraid to say their true feelings....does that sound like America to you?

The Princess

You know why they call them "Black" people???

Cuz they're not the brightest color in the box!!!!

Annie

To: Stop the Madness: PERFECTLY stated! You're 100 percent correct!

RedBird

Chantal Clueless
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

America is grateful you don't live here either because we have enough whiners. Blacks in America are 1,000 times more racist than any other group. They hate gays, they hate whites, they hate Jews, they hate Koreans, they hate each other and on and on and on. The whining never stops. Native Americans, Jews, the Irish, Africans and virtually every other person on earth has had their ancestors mistreated yet American blacks are the only group who can't get past it and LIVE to be offended.

RedBird

Posted at 2:06PM on Mar 15th 2009 by dumbjew

Why is it ok for you to use the name "dumbjew?" Jackie's wrong but this is ok?
H.Y.P.O.C.R.I.T.E.

curious

Why is "Blacks" capitolized in the article but not "whites"?

BHL

You might be talented BUT you are not bright! That's why Oprah is where she is today and you are still crying over Jewish spilled sour milk!

Sniglet

It takes a sick liberal to say that Mason's comments are more offensive than the actions of a man that has stolen billions from mainly Jews especially when Obama hangs out with the likes of Rashid Khalidi and other jew haters.

just gimme 5 minutes

If he's so proud, why doesn't he use his REAL name?

Real American

Personally, I don't think Jackie Mason is funny, but come on. He's a comic, and he makes a good point that comics of all races say things about other races that in a serious context would be considered offensive. Not to mention the fact that there is both a derogatory and non-derogatory definition of this word. Are we going to persecute him for what we think he meant? Are we going to start banning words based on what some anybody might find offensive? Who gets to pick the words? You don't like him, don't buy a ticket. But don't go laughing at Chris Rock and then tell Jackie Mason he's not allowed to use certain words. Don't laugh at Lisa Lampanelli, but tell Chris Rock what he can't say. That's a slippery slope.

Can't Stand Obama

Who cares if people were offended. Grow a pair and get over it.

No one at no time can say anything what so ever negative about that joke in a suit Obama with out being called a racist.

We do have Freedom of Speech. People need to quit using the race card every time someone says something that they don't agree with.

People need to grow up, grow a pair, grow a backbone and move on.

Obama is a joke - a very bad joke.

lucio

He's a racist Zionist. Let's see if he gets the Mel Gibson, Michael Richards, Don Imus or the Duane Lee "Dog" Chapman treatment by the media. DOUBT IT!

Rick

Dont worry we got something for this Cracker.
Watch your back punk, will make you say my President is Black, Obama 09

Kay

I don't know who this guy is, so why should I care what he says?