Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza"

3/15/2009 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jackie MasonComedian Jackie Mason used what some say is a racial epithet in describing President Barack Obama during his act Thursday night, infuriating at least several people in the crowd.

During a performance at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC, Mason referred to Obama as a "schwartza" -- some say it's equivalent to the "N" word -- others say it's just part of the Yiddish culture and a literal translation of the word "Black."

We're told one person walked out fuming, "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

We spoke with Mason by phone a few minutes ago, and he was outraged at the criticism, saying, "I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against Blacks. What about the demeaning words Blacks say about Jews?"

Mason added, "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." Mason called people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "professional racists."

Mason added, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

And there was this parting shot: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."

UPDATE:
Rev. Al Sharpton just sent us this statement:

"At this stage in Jackie's life and career he should get our prayers more than our responses. It is sad that maybe he forgot he used the same term against Mayor David Dinkins when he was elected the first African-American Mayor of New York City and got in trouble for it. As for him attacking me, maybe he forgot that he has had me on his TV show and has taken me to dinner and commended me for forgiving a white male who tried to kill me by stabbing me while I was leading a non-violent march. I'm sure Jackie just forgot."

Avenge, revenge, whatever

Not sure I'd call him a has-been. Was he ever, really? Oh, that's right, he "starred" in Caddyshack 2. Ha ha ha ha. Hands down the worst movie ever. He's old, he sucks and he's bitter. Get over it.

RedBird

Dont worry we got something for this Cracker.
Watch your back punk, will make you say my President is Black, Obama 09

Posted at 2:27PM on Mar 15th 2009 by rick

So you're threatening him because he's racist while you use racist terms.

Wow. Brilliant. A racist who's offended by racism.

Good thing you're not offended by hypocrisy.

Donnie Darko

Years ago I said hello to this J.O. in the Carnegi Deli in NY. He just looked at me contemptuously (I'm of Indian descent). He is totally a racist.

ArmyWife

Finally! Someone is calling it like it is and not apologizing and kissing ass afterward. Most black comedians, except for good ones like Bill Cosby base their whole act on bashing white people. One comedian says something about black people and now a riot is practically about to start. It's THAT kind of behavior that causes racism. People get sick of having to walk on egg shells and cater to people. Talk about segregation....how can you get more segregated than wanting your own churches, colleges, and wanting to be the only ones with the right to make jokes about other races. If you want to be equal..then be equal! I have black friends that are embarrassed by that behavior.

Dorian

This guy is clearly anold racist. Jesse Jackson is a "Professional racist"? What was the point of even saying something as stupid as that? Racism is not just about saying obviously offensive things but the way you carry yourself and address people of other races. Being an old guy doesn't mean that you're excused for it. He's racist. He might not burn crosses but he's clearly got some bigot in him

Da Truth

don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens. Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the Law of probability.

puhllleeez

It's a free country, he's entitled to spout off any way he wants.

That said, who the f*ck cares what this freakazoid has to say?

Dan

You can't make any money because no one pays to watch a washed-up has been comic, whereas millions watch Oprah. Is that enough of an explanation for you?

Mr.DNA

Ne gro means black in Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian; all of these derive from the Latin ni ger (black).

Dick Gardner

One of the people commented that said the he was a jerk, and that when he gets home he will watch the "Stupid Mario Brother" on youtube and get in a better mood.

UNBELIEVABLE

Why is it okay for Chris Rock and Chappell (Love Chappelle) and other
minorities to make fun or derogatory remarks about white people but
not for whites? Look I am hispanic and proud of it. I'm also glad I
do not have to go around watching what I say because I am a minority.
Only white people have to worry about what they say.

I know minorities that are very racist and I know dumb white people
who feel they have to go out of their way for minorities so they are
not considered racist. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

Leave Jackie alone - and watch Chappelle or Carlos Mencina and Laugh!

yessir

"They hate gays, they hate whites, they hate Jews, they hate Koreans, they hate each other and on and on and on."

WOW it's kind of scary to know ignorant hateful people like you exist in 2009. First off you are speaking of african americans in a racist and stereotypical way, i.e. they all think and behave the same way.do white people all think and behave the same way? of course not. why do you characterize african americans that way then? what's wrong with you.

lace

ok all u whites that are saying the term racist is over used and blah blah blah blah BLAH! Look at how your speaking, u guys sound racist. Ur talking down on a race, and generalizing them, and ur not a racist?? Well maybe if you guys weren't the most intolerant race on the entire planet then you would be called a racist. period. point. blank. White ppl don't like any race that is different from them because ur afraid. and its the truth. America isnt the land of the free and home of the brave...this place was founded by thieves and rapist that the British didnt want. You guys have a lot of blood on your hands so you should feel targeted when the word racist is brought up. U created it. Now I admit that I can be a little prejudice...but i over come it because life is too short and beautiful for HATE!

UNBELIEVABLE

17. If he's not defending his comments, then why is he giving a statement to TMZ? Obviously he knows he made a mistake. What idiot would pay to see him?

Posted at 2:06PM on Mar 15th 2009 by dumbjew

Wow - all is stated was the word black. But you - are calling jew's dumb. You really are a racist. One big dumb racist.

lace

and to those talking about Black ppl having their own colleges and mis america pageants etc. wtf?? you guys already have ur own "white colleges", "Pageants" etc. and Blacks weren't accepted, so they created their own..don't try to pretend like everything is equal.