'American Idol' Injury -- Victim Rushed to Hospital

5/5/2009 8:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Big mishap at the "American Idol" rehearsal.

Launch photos

You know the staircase Ryan Seacrest walks down at the beginning of the show? Well it's supposed to retract as he walks but it retracted too soon, badly hurting the stage manager.

Debbie Williams was following Ryan down the stairs when the mishap occurred. She tried holding on but couldn't and fell down the stairs.

Williams suffered what we're told is a "nasty gash" on her leg and was taken to the hospital.

We don't know of any other injuries. But someone who was there says he heard an explosion of glass and there was "debris and glass ...there was panicking and pushing and screaming and Ryan tried to calm people down" as the studio was cleared.

Pretty ironic ... Simon Cowell was on "Ellen" today talking about the staircase that "almost killed Ryan's career this year...."

Story developing...

Cara

They were rushed before. They made us way a while before hand due to some delays. No one panicked, a few people jumped but most of them were no where near it. Everyone one was just backing up out of the way because it looked like it was about to fall. And there was minimal glass. People are exaggerating. There wasn't a massive panic. The main issue was that no one would leave when they were told to people kept standing around complaining. They told us we had to leave so they could fix it. Then once they got everyone out people wouldn't leave and they were being rude to people who worked there about how they didn't get to see the show. even though these people were just there to escort them in and out and didn't know anything.

1933 days ago

KJB

They need a TALLER, SMARTER stage manager (minus platform CLOGS).....And some talent behind the curtain would be good too. Good job CBS. (They are responsible for when the stage moves, duh!)

1932 days ago

"falling for you"

I thank everyone for your kind words! The rest of you.....well, you know. I am doing well.....just stitches....but walking and recovering fast. There was nothing wrong with the stairs, safety is our middle name......they just retracted too soon and I was caught on (basically).... an escalator moving at warp speed, backwards........my only safe place was to jump off, as I did, to the railing....but unfortunately my grip did't last and I fell. Never tripped, never lost my footing (I go up and down those things ten times a day).....I jumped for safety. So keep your nasty thoughts to yourself....I am very grateful that was me and not someone else, grateful for the stitches only and I will be back at work very soon. Thank you to those of you who are nice enough to care.

1929 days ago

Ricardo

This is bad.
1st!

UGGGGHHH

get out of the high heels

ramgnfdjakg

too bad it wasn't seacrest..

Rah-Rah

Uh-oh! I smell a lawsuit a-brewin'!

Terri

Well I can't tell a thing from those pictures............

BigChatter.com

Saw this on www.BigChatter.com too. Wow...

Ut Oh

I am sure this must somehow be Miss Califrona's fault

Wow

Ryan didn't mention this...

Robin

Not only that, but if you watch Kara's comments about Adam singing Led Zepplin....she's gets so out of control and is still grunting during Paula's ramblings that Simon has to tell her to get a grip! lol btw- I can't stand kara

L.S

someone tried to kill ryan.....

AustinPrime

CRAZY!

Rah-Rah

What the hell are we suppose to see? These lousy pics don't show us anything relevant to the article, and worse they're frickin' BLURRY to boot!! I wanna see the woman falling down!

We all do.