Billy Bob's Daughter

Charged in Death of Baby

6/1/2009 2:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0530_billy_bob_thornton_mug_ex-1We've learned the oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton has been charged with child neglect in the death of a 1-year-old she was babysitting.

Amanda Brumfield told cops the child died in October after falling from her playpen, but a spokesman for the Ocoee Police Department said Amanda Brumfield's story didn't add up.

An autopsy determined the child suffered a fractured skull and a subdural hematoma due to blunt trauma.

Brumfield told police that after the baby had fallen, she discovered her tongue bleeding, so Brumfield cleaned it with a paper towel. She then says she began playing with the child, feeding her bananas and fruit snacks, and said she was "happy" and playful.

Brumfield then said she laid the child on the couch next to her and fell asleep. She says was awoken sometime later by the phone and decided to take the child back to the playpen. When she lifted her, Brumfield told cops she discovered her body was limp.

According to police, the call for help didn't come until two and a half hours after the original fall.

Brumfield is Thornton's child with his first wife, Melissa Gatlin.

UPDATE -- A rep for Thornton sent TMZ this statement: "Mr. Thornton is estranged from Amanda and has had no contact with her for quite some time, however when informed about this situation he commented that, 'Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones.'"

FiBiker

TYPICAL WHITE TRAILER TRASH...THE BOTH SHOULD GET THE GAS PIPE!!1

mindyourbusiness

You people don't know nothing just like # 91 I have known the mother of that beautiful little girl for some years now and she WOULD NOT just leave her kids with just any babysitter they happend to be good friends.... And for the jerk who said the the parents might have done it bite a curb you ass!!!! So if you know nothing about what happend keep your freakin mouth shut cause you people must not have a life but to but into somebody else's and comment about something you know nothing about!!! SO YOU FREAKIN PEOPLE NEED TO KEEP YOUR PIE HOLES SHUT AND MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS

Jenilee

To all the IGNORANT people commenting on this story . . I cant believe that some people have the balls to crack jokes and make comments about the death of an innocent little baby girl. How can you be anything but sympathetic towards the family that actually lost an incredible, beautiful, loving baby girl who was completely innocent. It doesn’t matter who Amanda’s father is or that they were best friends, what matters is a little girl passed away and from an awful and painful death that NO child dissever. And because of that the person who was supposed to be watching the child should be held accountable plan and simple!! Its doent matter if she was or is a good mother / wife and goes to church, while a child was in her care she was irresponsible and needs to face the consequences.

You people should have more consideration for the family!! Because when all this is said and done at the end little Oliva is still gone forever and nothing will ever change that!!

CJ

It is an unimaginable tragedy for this baby and her family. It's horrible and my heart goes out to them. Additionally, I think it's also a tragedy that Mr.Thorton seems to barely acknowledge the fact that he even has a daughter.

mindyourbusiness

Excuse me about putting like # 91 I ment to put like comment # 88

DonnaLynn from philly pa

You know if she did take her right to the drs and her story is actually true. The doctor probably would have just said put ice on it and she will be fine. My son fell when he was little and I rushed he to the drs and they did nothing. I was a very young mother at the time and did not know then what i know now just how dangerous it is when a child hits thier head. I was a very, very good mother, sheltered my boys so much, nver let anyone babysit them but many times my son fell and hit his head heard. This story could as very well have been about me. You just never know. All you can do is pray that you are doing the right thing and that your kids will grow up to be all that they want to be. Good Luck Honey, i really hope you are not lying and have me feeling sorry for you. I will pray for both families.

Joanne

My sincere condolences to the poor parents of this precious little girl.

Zoe

Wow, great dad. How nice that the only statement Billy Bob has is attached to the fact that they are estranged and not in contact with each other. Great to see him speak out for his kid during what is undoubtedly her darkest hour. Deadbeat parents piss me off. RIP to the baby, what an awful situation. I don't know what really happened so I'm withholding judgment, but I will say I'm not impressed with Billy Bob's douchebaggery.

ernurse

I am an experienced emergency room nurse. While it is a terrible tragedy when you lose a child, the police have to be witholding evidence from the press. It is true that in most cases of head trauma such as a subdural hematoma, or a subarachnoid hemorrhage the victim may go hours after injury before noticing symptoms. So yes it is very reasonable that it would be 2 hours or so before she felt a need to call 911. It is terrible that this happened and my sympathies go out to the family but I cannot judge this woman until they release more info and others should do the same.

Denise Hollar-Hambrook

Ah yes......Amandas mug shot speaks volumes......so considering the bleeding tongue "story" and the "snack" story line......I'd be inclined to say she is covering her ass......she is flat out LYING......and the cops have her figured out......lock her up......

First!!!

leo

You can take the family out of the trailer park , but you can't take the trailer park out of the family!

Polly_Esther

Bless this precious child...

I am so tired of reading stories about babies dying, especially when it's due to stupidity...

laureen54

Why would anyone be estranged from a son or daughter? She looks just like her father but she probably never got a chance to know her own father. Why condemn this poor girl who is going through a nightmare? Very sad and traumatic for everyone involved. Very, very sad.

Sarah

Truth be told, this is just a horrible case that could happen to any one of us mothers. My two year old fell head first off her changing table when she was 8 mths old. There was no blood, her eyes were dilating normally. She was happy and there was not even a mark or bump on her head. However, I did know NOT to let her sleep until I was sure there was no concussion. This poor woman has to live with her honest thoughtlessness for the rest of her life. (and yes, I ended up taking my daughter to the ER, and she was fine). Yes, there are a lot of "she should haves for this story. None of it matters now, the baby is gone and everyone invoved is suffering terribly.