Hasselbeck

Accused of No Original Thoughts

6/23/2009 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Elisabeth Hasselbeck ripped off a woman by plagiarizing her disease material -- so claims Susan Hassett, who fired off a letter to "The View" host just before suing her.

Elisabteh Hasselbeck Click to view docs

We obtained the letter -- in which Susan claims she sent Elisabeth a book called "Living with Celiac Disease" back in April of '08. Thirteen months later, Susan says Hasselbeck published the same book with a new title: "The G Free Diet-A Gluten Free Survival Guide." Yes, the title sucks.

Susan compares chapters and lines. Here are some highlights.

Susan's Book Chapter 1: What is Celiac Disease?
Hasselbeck Chapter 2: What is Celiac Disease?

Susan's tips: "Shop in the outer isles of the supermarket."
Hasselbeck's tips: "Food in the outer isles of the supermarket."

And the comparisons go on and on.

Susan just sued Elisabeth for copyright infringement and plagiarism.

UPDATE: We've just obtained a statement from Elisabeth's people: "Neither Center Street nor Elisabeth Hasselbeck has been served with the Complain in this action. However, there is no basis for the allegations in the Complaint as published in the press. Ms. Hasselbeck worked diligently and tirelessly on her book and is disappointed in this attempt to discredit her work and her ability to bring this important message to the public."

ATLglutenfree

The EH book contains MANY inaccuracies regarding the gluten-free diet so why anyone would claim to be connected to it is beyond me. It's all about money of course - but I'd be embarrassed if someone got info from me for that poorly researched book! My review of the EH book was as 'fair and balanced' as possible but it was tough to do...

1912 days ago

scully

Whenever Hasselbeck talks on the View, 9 times out of 10 I'll hit the mute button. And for the life of me, I think she looks hot knocked up. It's too bad she'll lose those milkjugs after the kid falls out. If there is a God, this plagarism thing is true.

1912 days ago

Peroque

If there were ever anyone ignorant enough to have to "original thoughts," it would be Elizabeth H. advised by her mentor George W. Bush. A stupid idiot Bitch!!

1912 days ago

Goy

Of course she stole the idea! She's a worthless slack-a*s ho' Elizabeth Hassleass is a lying, hateful, terribe human being. She stole the idea, no doubt in my mind. What are the odds this woman sends her that and all of a sudden, Elizabeth has the idea for a book on that very same disease? Please! She's a user, just like she was on Survivor. Pi*s off Elizabeth!

1912 days ago

saffta

Wow, if aisles is spelled 'isles' in both books that most assuredly would be proof that she plagiarized. Can't believe a graduate of Boston College would spell it that way, Furthermore, they both would have had editors, where the heck were they? I so hope it's true, she gave Biden so much grief for his plagiarism from many years ago.

1912 days ago

jJilly

I have never liked or respected her. She seems to have been brainwashed by the men in her life. I agree that she does not ever have an original thought in her head. I also find her little girl whiny voice to be really annoying. I guess she never watched the Oprah show on womens' voices. She should really take some time off, a very long time, and try and come up with some ideas of her own. Forget everything shes been taught to say! Of all the women on the View she is the only one I cannot stand. I also refuse to watch her when she is on QVC with her little girl clothing line. As you can tell I really DON'T like her.I hope she gets sued to the max.

1912 days ago

Mauraid

Greedy, self-centered twit. That is the difference between the Elisabeth Hasselbecks of the world and women like Barbra Walters, Oprah, Whoopie, etc. If one of them had received the book and liked it they would have helped the author make the book a success. But Hasselbeck could only think of how she could profit for herself. Imagine how just a little note of thank you from Hasselbeck to the real author might have changed the author's life and perhaps prevented this. I hope Hasselbeck is hung out to dry and that Barbara fires her.

1912 days ago

Kacie

LMAO!!!! I HOPE SHE GETS TAKEN TO THE CLEANERS ON THIS ONE! SHE IS A DOUCHE BAG!!! SHE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF HERSELF!!! WAIT A MINUTE...I FORGOT WHO I WAS REFERRING TO! SHE HAS NO SHAME BECAUSE HER MORALS ARE OUT OF WHACK!!!

1912 days ago

lcanamore

my cousin has celiac disease, most of what is in the book is basic info for people living with the disease. It's also basic info for people who wanted to eat cleaner~ avoid all the processed junk found in the middle of the store.

1912 days ago

Duganb

r Elisabeth Hasselbeck has been served with the Complain in this action (Do you people ever read what you write?)

1912 days ago

Phoenix Lady

I cant stand Hasslebeck!!! Everything she says on the show makes me sick. HOWEVER with that being said, anybody with Celiacs knows this info and is stated in almost every book on the subject I had to read. I am glad she wrote this book because of her ability to make more people aware of Celiacs. The more people are aware of it the more likely that restaurants will make more gluten free dishes

1911 days ago

WOW

I am finally sick of all these dumb ass comments.... My aunts book is about her struggle with this disease.. not general information on it. She was on her death bed more than once and for me to sit here and read about how the Elizabitch lovers think its some kind of joke blows my mind. Chances are not one of you have read both books. Hasseldouche even went so far as to use my Aunts dedication!!! Something she wrote for my late great-grandfather!! E.H is going to get what she deserves.

1911 days ago

ignatius718

Wow!! I didn't really think I was the only one hitting the mute button each time Elizabeth opened her mouth but it seems a lot of people do.

P.S. She has a lot in common with Paris Hilton; it's going to be fun watching them age (ha hah)
and hoe they react when something really bad happens to them.

Jessica

Doesn't anyone have anything better to do then put people down these days? I believe her book was written from her own sweat, experience, and heartwarming emotions. I believe people are putting her down becuase she is beautiful, obviously has great knowledge about more than the gluten free diet, and has a life with a child and a husband. I believe people are just wishing they had her life so are putting her down. This book was great I thought. I thought she did a great job!

Mark

She's the only one on the View that doesn't look butch and what we have here is a bunch of ignorant females jealous as hell.

So typical for the jealous type, probably none attended college, much less have a degree, and they are completely oblivious that "aisles" is not spelled as isles, as was done in Susan's book. The ill-bred around here believe everything they read or are told.

TMZ says, Hasselbeck's tips said: "Food in the outer isles of the supermarket."

Stupid morons... that's not even a sentence!

She actually wrote, "The foods in the outer aisles of the supermarket should be the foundation of your
diet."

Dumb fools... An isle is an island that is surrounded by water! Unbelievable!

Guess what, rocket scientist, in 2005 Jax Peters Lowell published his book, "The Gluten-Free Bible" that all follow in this gluten world of 'his' research. He wrote in his book that Gluten-free foods are "more likely to be found, at the perimeter of the store." Ditto, done in the "Gluten-Free Diet Guide for Families" book by North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, first printed in 2005 as well.

Obviously this person suing is no brighter than her use of the word isle in her book.