« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Star Steve McNair Found Dead

7/5/2009 7:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Steve McNairSteve McNair -- an NFL QB with the Tennesse Titans and Baltimore Ravens -- was found dead Saturday in Nashville, Tenn., according to Nashville police.

McNair suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the head in downtown Nashville. A female victim was also found dead. Police have not released the name of the female, only to say it is not McNair's wife, Mechelle.

The call to police came in at 1:35 PM. The circumstances surrounding the shooting deaths remain under active investigation.

There were no signs of forced entry at the crime scene. No suspects have been taken into custody.

Don Aaron, a spokesman for the Nashville Metro PD, told News Channel 5 in Tennessee, "When police officers arrived in response to that call, they found two individuals who had been shot to death inside the residence: one female, one male. We now know that the male deceased is Steve McNair. The female deceased has been tentatively identified. We're working to confirm that and then notify her next of kin."

McNair was a three-time Pro Bowler and was the NFL MVP in 2003. He retired in 2007.

Titans owner K.S. "Bud" Adams Jr. released this statement: "We are saddened and shocked to hear the news of Steve McNair's passing today. He was one of the finest players to play for our organization and one of the most beloved players by our fans. He played with unquestioned heart and leadership and led us to places that we had never reached, including our only Super Bowl. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family as they deal with his untimely passing."

UPDATE -- A Nashville police spokesman identified the woman as Sahel Kazemi, a "friend" of McNair's. A pistol was found near her body. She suffered a single gunshot wound to the head, police say, and McNair "was shot multiple times."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

pam Jackson

Other sites are reporting a murder/suicide...is that true? TMZ?

.:Loki 4Ever:.

I'm in such shock.... I cried when my mom called me. I LOVED him as an oiler and loved him as a titan.... what an amazing player. I will ALWAYS keep my mint condition action figure of him now!!!!!!!

Akbar

STEVE MACNAIR THE BEST OUT THERE. R.I.P.

Only An Idiot that knows nothing about Football could say something that STUPID...The best at being stupid maybe....lmao

Wow

Bu: From what I've read, it's not his wife who was killed. Surely, she wouldn't do this and leave her children parentless. I don't know who this woman was yet. I hope there is an innocent explanation.

RobynAnnVig

Murder/suicide

Shenandoah

I heard that the female was Taylor Swift.

Jennifer Bouldack

Steve - tell me EXACTLY what "local" press you are quoting. NO ONE is saying that right now, so I'd like to know WHO you are quoting?

Wow

Obama Rules: I think what's so tough is that it's someone so very young and a death so very unnecessary. I'm probably a good bit older than you (I'm 40), and I've seen too many of these types of deaths. Always so sad!

Akbar

I'm glad the SOB is dead...He was leaving his wife for me and he was cheating on me!Rot in hell steve.

mr.wtf

thats f-up theres a lot of crazy ass people out there most likey a druggy did it .stuck him 4 his paper

Jennifer Bouldack

It is not his wife. The woman who died with him is in her early 20s. No reason to jump to conclusions until facts are reported.

Zonya

I usually come here to see if there's any new news on Michael Jackson. I was totally surprised to see that Steve McNair is dead. My fiance is a HUGE Titan fan as well as a McNair fan. It wasn't great to show this news to him. He was an excellent player. My regards to his family during this difficult time. So Sad

Advil

Alright this is becoming a habit that is going to have to stop!......everytime I log on to tmz someone has died my goodness. May he R.I.P. I think I will try back this site in a month or so

.:Loki 4Ever:.

#71.. i'm 30 yrs old... and a girl, but looooved him :(

April

The NFL is to blame for all these deaths (and criminal acts) of their players. They take disadvantaged youth with talent and rather than working to make the whole person successful, they care only about their ball playing skills. They don't care if they have gang ties or mental/emotional illnesses (Vick). It's sick. None of these players would be able to get a "regular" job because they wouldn't be able to pass the interviews or screenings! These kids come from a background where all their dreams are centered on being able to parlay their ballin into $$$ and they don't have the coping mechanisms to get away from the violence that perverts the ghetto, so they bring it with them. We shouldn't be losing our best and brightest in this way! The NFL needs to stop preying on these guys and do more to help them succeed, not only on the field - but in LIFE.