Pelosi Shoots Down Jackson Resolution

7/9/2009 12:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee promised fans she'd get a resolution passed in Congress honoring Michael Jackson -- but Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi just 86'd the proposal.

Nancy Pelosi: Click to watch
In a news conference moments ago on Capitol Hill, Pelosi said that while Jackson was "a great performer," a resolution "will open up two contrary views that are not necessary at this time to be expressed."

Somewhere Rep. Pete King is doing a righteous fist pump.

MisterEd

WHat an @$$. Its rediculous. Micheal Jackson has done more for this country then her!

Jasmin

For a change, I think she's right!

Wow

Washington has a few more pressing matters to attend to - like THE ECONOMY. Loved Jackson, sad he's gone, but REALLY.

SB

It is so sad to see that the Congress has lots of IDIOTS. Jackson was and will always be a Worldwide "ICON' that America does not appreciate. As of his personal life "''' IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS''', that is why it is called PERSONAL.

El Conde

There's hope for Nancy yet!

Casey

Yes Brooklynlady lots of priests are child rapists as well. Thanks for bringing that up. I hope the rot in hell right beside Michael jackson.

why?

Let's pass a resolution to honor every serviceman who has ever died fighting for our country. Let's get real about the meaning of hero, MJ does not fit the bill. It's ridiculous that the government is even considering such insanity.. MJ was a self obsessed, dysfunctional freak! For his children s sake it's a good thing he is gone. I understand MJ was a phenomenal talent. Beyond that his relevancy has been way overstated. Al Sharpton remarks were way over the top and a slap in the face to all the major African American talents in history. He proved once a clown always a clown. Personally I think the world became a better place the minute Jackson left it.

anita

she needs to back off... she should look back at what he has done for the kids in other countries and the stuff he did for kids with cancer and aids she needs to be alittle nicer.

lg

She is probably jealous that she is not that popular with the people. Again, he broke the Guiness World record for being the biggest humanitarian..... He deserves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there Pelosi... swallow THAT!!!

Rachel

I LOVE MICHAEL JACKSON AND I THINK HE WAS ONE OF THE BEST PERFORMERS AND SWEETEST PERSON TO LIVE IN THE ENTERTAINMENT WORLD, but i have to agree this is not a time for this.

However why is Angelina Jolie named by the UN as embassador and yet Michael never got recognition for all he did, after all he was even named in the guiness book as the artist to give most to charity and even opened and set up a few foundations in benefit of children. This world is so strange... what a shame.

crystal

Nancy Pelosi is one sexy ass woman ! Love her arched eyebrows, and sexy lips. When she flips her hair around, I go nuts!

Kisses Nancy you pretty young thang

eattrn

Is it just me or does she appear to be melting?

enuf

I wouldn't go that far, El Conde but she got this one right. Enough already about Michael Jackson!

DSC

First time EVER..I agree with Nancy.

Think about it folks. Did Elvis get a resolution? He was a "king", too! There are just too many doubts, too many flaws, too many questions. I loved Michael Jackson from the Jackson Five through the late 80's, early 90's. But that Michael died 15 years or so ago and I mourned him then. I don't know who THIS Michael Jackson was.

K

Finally, Pelosi has said something I agree with. No matter if MJ was a perv or not, these issues have no place in Congress. There's bigger issues than this, and idiots who love MJ and diss Pelosi for this decision are blind... the real world doesn't care about celebrities. Get a clue.