Jermaine Jackson -- Smile for Apple

8/4/2009 7:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Jackson's special administrators want the estate to cash in on a song one of his brothers performed at the memorial, but time is of the essence.

In docs filed with the court, lawyers for the estate say they've negotiated a very favorable agreement for the estate with Apple Inc., for the promotion, distribution and sale of the audio and audiovisual recordings of Jermaine Jackson's performance of the song, "Smile" at the memorial service.

They claim there is currently "a heightened demand for such products due to Jermaine Jackson's moving performance during the memorial service, which may diminish over time."

But they need to act quick, so they're asking the judge to approve the deal ... ASAP.

Chelie from the UK

This was supposed to be one of Michael's favourite songs. The tribute to him by Jermaine was very well done at the Memorial and was obviously an emotional moment for one brother to another. I feel that this was something that should be left right there. It was a lovely thing to do, as a memory for Michael's family and his fans.

However, If a deal was to be made for a recording of this by Jermaine then all proceeds should go to one of Michael's charity's, I think he would have approved of that?. Elton John released the revised version of Candle in the Wind for Princess Diana.

God Bless Michael, his children and the Jackson Family x x x

sasha

JoJo Dancer

Posted at 9:15AM on Aug 5th 2009 by sasha

Idiot!!! Because there is a demand for this version. If people wanted the Michael version, they could go out and buy it or download it. Are you people really this stupid? You will most likely get the memorial versions of all the songs released at some point because people want what they can't get anywhere else. My God, some people on this site do not know how to use their heads.

JoJo Dancer

Another thing. You idiots come on TMZ everyday and bash Katherine Jackson about trying to get her "greedy hands" on the estate but when the lawyers for the estate, the executors try to do their jobs and make money for the estate, you attack them. Grow up kids. And I'm not sure why Jermaine is being attacked at all. He's not selling the song. Michael's estate and AEG will make money from this. Although, I'm sure that since Jermaine is an artist, it would be required that he be paid as well as Mariah, Jennifer Hudson, John Mayer and anyone else who sang on anything being released for profit. Now if those artist decide to donate the money to charity, then good for them. If not, its their money. Now go find a way to make your own money TMZ losers.

1903 days ago

There is no such thing as reality tv

I probably am one of the few people who did like Jermaine's tribute to MJ. But the family does seem like they are money hungry.

NimmyZed

I know he was incredibly upset while he sang this song at MJ's memorial but I have to say it: Jermaine was WAY OUT OF TUNE!! It was embarassing to listen to and I can't believe people are believing the HYPE that the song should be released! Madness! Listen to it again (cringeworthy)

Sonya

Dixie

117. 105. Why not release the Michael Jackson version??? whats that about? Jermaines version was touching but Michael Jackson sang it on History, so release that version!

Posted at 9:15AM on Aug 5th 2009 by sasha

Posted at 9:44AM on Aug 5th 2009 by JoJo Dancer

Nice job with the name calling! Since you seem to keep posting here, I guess you are a TMZ idiot, too!
Yeah, we get it about the estate! You're not a freaking genious here---- OK
The part that is sickening is Jermaine is Michael's brother. He's making this money off of his dead brother, can you get how morbid that is. Especially when you consider how Jermaine has talked about Michael in the past! Did you see that "touching" song he wrote about Michael, word to the badd?????? Perhaps he should re-release it, to go with this version of smile, yeah that would be fitting. While he's tugging and wanting Michael buried at Neverland. It's all about money to Jermaine.
I'm sure he's crying all the way to the bank, with his UK tabloid interview money! He got interviews, why??? Because his brother died!! Not because of anything he has done on his own.

Dixie

126. I think its a great idea. Why is it such a problem for this family to gain wealth from MJ's death. We don't complain about Lisa Marie and her family gaining wealth from Elvis. I think we are so bias when it comes to BLACKS and there legacy and estates. I think the J5 should gain wealth and whatever they can receive as long as it in a dignified way. Jermaine was wonderful and I would love to be able to buy something that would not only benefit his estate but his family. Truth be told, we know his WHITE LAWYERS will MILK the estate before his family. Micheal thought he was being protected by his "white friends and lawyers" that's why he's dead now. Nobody cared about MJ but his family and he ran away from them. I loved MJ and know he's at peace.

Posted at 1:30PM on Aug 5th 2009 by Sonya
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let the race baiting begin! Good grief!! Are you serious?

I don't remember Elvis keeping up his whole family of 8 plus 2 parents for his whole life. I see nothing wrong with Michael choosing to help his mom all of his life btw. However, to keep up brothers, sisters, neices and nephews forever?? That is why Michael distanced himself from his family, his daddy hounded him relentlessly with guilt trips and bad business deals that he wanted Michael to buy in on.

Of course, Michael's children should be looked after with the estate just like Lisa Marie has been. Though I still don't see why Elvis keeps being brought up??????
I hope the executors that you refer to can keep Michael's childrens' money safe until they are grown. If the Jackson could, they would spend every nickel, so that the children would end up broke.
Michael was no fool, that's why he put Branca and MClain in charge of his estate.

This is NOT about race, this is about a brother (Jermaine) continueing to use his very famous brother's death to profit off of. True the estate would recieve part of the proceeds, but it just seems to me that Jermaine could stop it if he wanted to. Is there nothing sacred? Michael was his brother, for crying out loud! I'm reasonably sure Jermaine is not concerned with how much the estate makes off of this particular venture, He's more likely interested in his cut.

This is just my opinion.

Chelie from the UK

There are going to be alot of people making alot of money from the revenue from any sales of Merchandise or Music sales. I think that it is sad that 3 children have lost their father and people are arguing about who gets the money. Michael has as far as I have read left his children very well set up financially. However, I feel that If a song such as smile was released for sale whether sung by Michael or Jermaine, if the profits from that one single went to one of his charity's wouldn't that be a good thing (or am I mistaken!).

I have been a Jacksons Fan and Michael Jackson Fan for many years now and only wish peace to his family and to all his fans who are really having a difficult time at the moment.

God bless x

meta

Funny...Jermaine seems to have spent his whole life trying to prove that he's better than Michael, but the only time he can get listened to is by riding Michael's coattails.

I'm just sayin'.

Kristin

But he sang the song incorrectly....

He said, "Light up your face with sadness
Hide every trace of gladness", which completely changes the point of the song.

Chelie from the UK

Maybe if the song was sung by Jermaine, they could produce it has a new release and he would obviously want to sing the correct words.

The Memorial performance was a very highly emotional moment for him and he sang some of the words incorrectly, there were millions of people watching from all over the world, he may have been very nervous of the fact he was being watched, by so many, maybe any of us would be a little nervous. I am sure that can be remedied. I don't think, in my opinion too much should be made of Jermaine singing the wrong words.

God Bless x

lankandiva

HELL,IF I HAD TO SING A SONG ABOUT A LOVED ONE I JUST LOST I'D BE OUT OF TUNE TO TRYING TO BE STRONG AND HOLDING BACK TEARS WHAT DO YA'LL EXPECT?PLEASE NOONES PERFECT,WE ALL HAVE FAULTS NOT TO SAY I DISAGREE WITH SOME OF THE THNGS SAID ABUT THE FAMILY..BUT I THINK HE DID WELL TO GET UP THERE AND SING MICHAELS FAVOURITE SONG..IM SURE MMICHAEL WAS PROUD OF HIM..HELL WHEN I FOUND OUT MICHAEL DIED I COULDN'T SPEAK FOR HOURS..I WAS CRYNG AND COULDN'T BREATHE..I STILLGET EMOTIONAL WHEN I TALK ABOUT HIM JERMAINE HAD SOME STRENGTH,REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANY OF US SAY HE DID LOSE A BROTHER..BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER..WE SHOUDN'T FORGET THAT WE ARE ONLY ALWAYS ALMSOT INFORMED OF ONE SIDE OF ANY STORY..THINK ABOUT OUR PEROSNAL ISSUES WITH LOVED ONES,ONLY THING WE CAN BE THANKFUL FOR IS IT ISNT SHOWN TO THE WORLD..THER'S 2 SIDE TO EVERY STORY..

1902 days ago

moonwalker

83. 77. How come you guys are all cracking down on Jermaine like that? I think he's a great singer as well as Michael. There is no comparison. I can't believe all the nasty remarks on here about Jermaine. I don't know if you guys noticed on the day Michael died how he broke down crying when he had to announce his brother's death. I saw those tears in his eyes. And he is still mouring his brother. I feel so sorry for poor Jermaine. Why would he want to make money off his brother when he had a few albums out? I actually have a greatest hits album now that I love to listen to. And he has an incredible voice. I love the way he sings "Daddy's Home". Stop hating on this guy already. And in case you all didn't know, Jermaine does read stuff on the internet and hears all the stuff on TV being said about his brother. He even stated in an interview a couple of weeks ago, "Please stop the name calling about my brother because it hurts the family's feelings. My mother has custody of the kids and they are at home with my kids getting along just fine." Need I say more? Leave Jermaine alone.

Posted at 12:53AM on Aug 5th 2009 by sexy one
You have your right to your opinion, others who disagree have a right to their opinion too! Jermaine has been the one drawing attention to himself!

Yes, his kids are with Michael's at Katherines house. Katherine has been supporting them too. Since Katherine got her money fom Michael, well that means Michael has been the one to really foot the bill for at least some of Jermaine's kids.
Jermaine should be ashamed of himself.
This is all just my opinion.

Click on the link below to see what a stand-up guy Jermaine is.

Jermaine also fathered children with Randy's ex-wife! NICE GUY, HUH? He's full of sh*t!

Posted at 1:41AM on Aug 5th 2009 by MJ was used and abused

Still doesn't matter. He and Michael were very close. Michael also felt more comfortable performing on stage with Jermaine. Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. Randy's wife could have been the one who seduced Jermaine. I know lots of people who did what Jermaine did. Nothing new. I happens everyday.

1902 days ago