What It Takes To Keep Paula on 'Idol'

8/7/2009 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paula Abdul on 'Idol'Sources tell us Paula Abdul will make a deal with "American Idol" if the price is right -- and we're told that price is $10 million a year.

We've already reported well-connected "Idol" sources say they haven't closed the door on bringing Paula back for season 9. We're told they have not communicated with Abdul since she tweeted her goodbye, and auditions start Friday -- without Paula.

But here's the deal. Our sources say Paula was not happy with the "Idol" offer but willing to sign -- just days before her deal-breaking tweet. She had a sudden change of heart, largely because she felt "disrespected" by "Idol" execs who had offered Simon and Ryan a lot more than they offered her. We're told the show offered her around $4 million a year.

In the end, we're told the magic number is $10 mil. If "Idol" antes up, they can buy a loose cannon.

**Check out yesterday's TMZ Live -- when Harvey and Charles answered your questions about Paula's fate and Debbie Rowe showing up to Dr. Arnie Klein's office again.

kristine

PAULA SHOULD MAKE WHATEVER RANDY MAKES. SIMON DESERVES THE BIG BUCKS, SINCE WITHOUT HIS BITING BUT TRUE COMMENTS THE SHOW WOULDN'T BE WORTH WATCHING. I LIKE SEACREST BUT GEEZ 15 MILLION A YEAR. I KNOW HE NEEDS HIS HAIR GEL AND MANI'S BUT WOW THAT'S A LOT FOR WHAT HE DOES. TO GIVE HIM THAT MUCH MONEY AND THEN GET STINGY ABOUT PAULA IS JUST STUPID.

Cilla

Oh please, that is definiately too much money for her! She is one of the worst personalities I have seen on TV, she stumbles all over herself and she cant string a sentence together. Who cares if she goes! Overrated and greedy!

sumo

Is Paula worth 10 million? No way! This broad if she wants to stay on Idol for 10 mil should go to rehab to get her ass straightned out. She's a loose cannon, you never know what she'll do. Half the time she seems to be spaced out on drugs.
What a wonderful image for kids to see. Tell Paula goodbye for good.

mellow

Admit you have addisons disease Paula

dtourmt

I agree with WTF. She is a has been with not many other employment options so stop being so greedy and take the 4 million. People need to stop being concerned with what "everyone else" makes and just be happy with what you have and feel fortunate you have a job at all! She may want to take the time to get help with pill-popping. Have Heath Ledger, Anna Nicole & Michael Jackson taught us nothing? Pain meds & mixing them are bad news and make her look foolish most of the time. She is very likeable but needs to get real about how much she contributes and her worth on that show.

alicia

simon get 140 million give paula 10 but i think they should all get the same

alicia

simon gets 100 n some million wtf n ryan gets 45 million what a joke

romil1

7. What about Randy?? How much does he get paid and why doesn't he make it a big deal like Paula?
Posted at 6:19PM on Aug 6th 2009 by MD

People don't realize it's a matter of pride when you are the lowest paid person on a show. Do I think she is worth that? No, but neither is Simon & he makes a lot more as does Ryan & probably Randy too. No one in "show business" is worth what they get paid, but as long as idiots pay money to watch them perform they will demand it. In olden times, entertainers were the lowly court jesters who entertained the populace for what the public threw at them. Who would have thought they would have risen to such importance now that we idolize them & pay them with our hard-earned money to be rich as kings. Frank Sinatra once remarked, "I don't get it, they scream & applaud & we buy Cadillacs". Well, I don't get it either, Frank.

Interracial facial

It's sad that a velvet mob talent show titled American Idol pays a Euro trash queer judge a mint and a US pop icon a pittance. Abdul should walk. AI is nothing but a showbiz forum for the gay agenda. Move the show to a bath house in West Hollywood and and let's move on.

Winsome Davis III

At $10 million US, she'll be making more than half the guys in F1 racing, and there's nothing in her contract about drug testing.

hunsister

This is all about sexism. I accept that Simon is worth more than Paula. He anchors the show. But Ryan???? Come on!! Paula has been dis-respected (not a word). I am slightly older than she is. I'm a professional. I've made it to the top of my profession. But I am not paid the same money as the men I work beside. That is just how it is. I'm paid very well and many posters would say I'm not worth the money I've earned (who is?) but the point is that it is always easier to pay women less than men in the same position. I'm proud of Paula. She's fighting for a principal and her fans are behind her.

the truth hurts huh

FINALLY!!!!!! ........ TMZ's moved out of MJ ALL THE TIME zone! THANK YOU!!!!

beasely

show won,t be the same without her, three stooges without curly, i won;t be watching,,,,

tangledweb

The bottom line is NO PAULA - NO IDOL!! So the big money movers and shakers at Fox better start passing a hat if they have to.

rock creek

she isn't worth it,
and the show isn't worth watching