Obama Vacation Tip Not All That

8/30/2009 3:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

President Barack Obama is usually quite the gracious tipper, but stories of him dropping dollars in Martha's Vineyard are a tad exaggerated.

Barack Obama

It sounded like a good economic indicator when it was reported today that the Prez tipped the clerk at a general store $15 on $5 of ice cream and candy. But according to the clerk we spoke to, Barack took his change with him: "What tip? He didn't leave a tip. We don't have a tip jar, he took his change."

However, at the second store he visited, Barack did let the clerk keep the change -- a whopping $1.99.

Every penny counts.

ecaz

WTF were is my freakin 2 week vacation? My family didnt get to go on vacation this year because my unemployment could only pay half of my bills so no wonderful well deservied family vacation for us. THANKS OBAMA FOR SHOWING OFF YOUR VACATION TO THE THOSE WHO COULDNT AFFORD ONE THIS YEAR! A-HOLE

danica

I never heard of tipping a store clerk. I don't think Obabma or anybody else needs to do that.

Slow news day, TMZ?

Intense Visuals

FactCheck.org is a non-partisan, nonprofit, website.
Your opinion of the website is irrelevant.
The information is accurate.

Jess

Who cares!!! We are losing our jobs and your posting how Obama doesn't tip well?!!?! What newsworthy information!!!!!!!!

Who cares

President Kennedy never had money on him and his staff paid for everything, same for President Obama, I wouldn't expect him to tip me for an ice cream cone. I'm a Vegan I'd tell him to run for his life from the ice cream parlor!

La Toya Jackson

why can't I have health care too? .. Where's mai American Dream??!? .. Is it wrong to want to be healthy? ... Why don't you care? .. I care about you

Kathy

You're worried about him tipping. Stop trying to nitpick every move the prez makes especially about tipping. I don't see that it's a requirement to tip, it's a nice gesture because you are tipping because you appreciate the service but remember attendants get an hourly wage. Do we tip the McDonalds staff or Burger King staff, etc? NO, what makes this service any different. If this were a fancy restaurant, it's different because waiters/waitresses/bus-boys live on their tip money. Expecting to tip a person at an ice-cream parlor is up to the individual and it's the President's option if he'd like to tip or not, just like everyone else.

La Toya Jackson

I am an American.. I have worked all my life and pay taxes ... Why can't I have health insurance??!? ... Why don't you care? ... I pay my taxes and I care about you?

J Morris

Hey Libs Your idol doesn't tip? Blacks never tip its true ask a waiter Typical libs They're always are for the little guy until it means splitting with their own cash

p51d007

Most liberals are TERRIBLE tippers. That is a proven FACT. Most of the politicians on the democrat side donate less than 1% to charity.
They want OTHER people to give THEIR money, not their own.

Dalia Voltex

Whoa so many dimwitted people here!

mjjfan50

so what's the BIG friggin deal if the Pres did not leave a huge tip???

give me a break!

john araya

obama is a joke! carrying on the bush agenda... oh yeah thats change.

TexMix

Thanks TMZ for once again allowing the hate mongers to have a forum.

BUSH VACATIONED 977 DAYS OUT OF 8 YEARS!

Oh yeah he was a good Ole Boy so nothing wrong with that.
Bush was on vacation when hurricane Katrina hit.
I wish these loud mouths would have been more vocal 4000 soldier lives back ago.

bbutner

Typical democrat cheap with their own money.