« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Chargers Star -- Tila Tequila Was Drunk

9/7/2009 10:12 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

San Diego Chargers superstar Shawne Merriman is finally speaking about the incident that got him arrested yesterday, telling FoxSports.com that his girlfriend Tila Tequila was drunk and he was only trying to keep her safe.

"On September 6, 2009 the San Diego Sheriff's Department responded to a citizen's complaint that was initiated by Tila Nguyen (aka Tila Tequila). I was taken into custody based upon that complaint. At the time, I was concerned about her welfare given the intoxicated state she appeared to be in and I encouraged her to stay until safe transportation could be provided.

"We would all do our best to help a friend if we considered their actions to be detrimental to their personal safety. I in no way caused any harm to Ms. Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported. She was released and has since returned to Los Angeles, California.

"There have been no charges filed against me. I want to thank the San Diego Sheriff's Department for their professionalism. I will continue to cooperate fully with the Department, and I look forward to clearing my name regarding these false allegations. I want to put this behind me so I can continue to focus on a successful season for the San Diego Chargers."

UPDATE: Tila has Twittered a response to Shawne's allegations -- saying there's no way she could have been drunk because, "I am allergic to alcohol. It has been publicly known for years. That is how I got the name Tila "Tequila" cuz the irony. I cant drink"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

fwo

There is no such thing as being "allergic to alcohol". You can be allergic to an ingredient in a drink, but not allergic to alcohol itself... It's medically impossible.

Don't believe me?...go to mayoclinic dot com, and look it up.

Zach Swan

Well sweet cheeks, this is a pretty clear cut case, and unfortunately it doesn't fall in your favor. You lied, Tila: either when you released a statement that you are allergic to liquor and don't drink, or when you tweeted that you were drunk. So your credibility has been irreparably compromised... if it ever existed. Absent any physical evidence (which it seems doesn't exist) or corroborating witnesses, you should start looking for an exit strategy with great haste. After which, I'd encourage you to explore counseling which will hopefully help you to come to terms with the devil that dances upon your shoulder. Let's just hope this entire sordid affair quickly and quietly comes to conclusion. Beware the dangers of escalating commitment -- if you say anything further it'll only get worse and more difficult to extricate yourself from. Time for both parties to move on.

Californianadian

yeah, her tweets- after the incident she says she is allergic and posts some lame tyra interview, but days before, she tweets that she showed up hungover to her own party. go chargers!

Toun

WHAT! what the are you guys talking about? TILA is a classy women, so you guys are telling me you wouldn't bring her home and introduce her to your mom?

Nicole

That doesn't make sense because she drank so much on her reality show, "A Shot of Love with Tila Tequila".
She's gross anyway- probably one of the ugliest asians i've ever seen.

shesaliar

she's a liar dont beleive this girl she just wants money shes famous for being famous shes got no talent.shes not even that pretty shes just gonna give you headaches.merriman is more beleiveable,she lied about being bisexual for her show and they found out shes really not. she lied about being allergic which shes has contradicted herself on videos ordering tequila.merriman has not always done right things but shes a liar.

monica

SKANK. Famous for what? Just another of thousands of other skanks drunk, naked, mouthy. Trash should be always put in the garbage or it starts to stink.

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8