Patrick Swayze

Dies

9/14/2009 8:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Patrick Swayze Dies
Patrick Swayze
died today after a long battle with cancer. He was 57.

Swayze was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January 2008. His publicist says he died with his family at his side.

He was the star of such movies as "Ghost," "Dirty Dancing," and "Road House." Swayze was named People's Sexiest Man Alive in 1991.

More Today in TMZ History

Patrick Swayze

bev

RIP Patrick you wil be forever loved and missed. my uncle died of pancreatic cancer in 2008 and he lived 6 mos after he was diagnosed..so patrick u one of the few that beat the odds after being given a short time to live ..u made it thru 2 years almost....u are an inspiration to all cancer patients who suffer this dreaded disease. prayers go out to family and friends

Jessy

OMG..THAT IS SO SAD HE TRIED WAS A TRUE FIGHTER TILL THE END.
HE FOUGHT SO HARD MY HEARTFELT CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY.

HE HAD A BEAUTIFUL SONG FROM DIRTY DANCING CALLED
"SHE'S LIKE THE WIND"
RIP PEACE PATRICK SWEETHEART...WOW THIS SUMMER HAS BEEN THE MOST CELEBRITY DEATH'S I'VE SEEN.

Tony A

So very sad :(

RIP Patrick, you will be missed.

Linda Mott

I am sorry to hear about his death. I guess the good die young. His family can be proud of his legacy.

Treen

I'm glad he is no longer suffering. RIP Mr. Swayze. My condolences go out to your lovely wife and family.

HeroesFan86

Aww! I'm so sad to hear about this. ): I really love him; not romantically or anything, but I admire him. It's really sad that such a nice person has died. I loved his show The Beast on A&E, as well as several of his movies.

Especially To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything. :) That was a very funny movie.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this challenging time. I'm glad he is a happier place now.

Rest in peace, Mr. Swayze. You will be missed.

cherryblossoms

I'm so sad right now, you were a great person a great humanitarian and human being and actor and a great everything. I'm really sorry you had to go through all of that. We will all love you forever, I hope your in no more pain and can now rest in peace with your dad and your sister and everyone else that has passed on. My thoughts and prayers with all your family, friends, colleagues and fans and everyone. I love you

Amanda

He will always be "Johnny" to me...RIP Patrick Swayze. My heart goes out to his family, friends and to his wife/best friend. I can't imagine how hard it is for her right now.

Dee

R.I.P.

KimL.A.~West (kimasabe)

Well, he was seen smoking in his last days yes. But, for many sad folks quitting smoking seems to be impossible ~ even when its putting you in your grave. Patrick was highly talented person and will be missed by his family, friends and fans of his films.

Tammy

If you think Dirty dancing was good you outta see City of Joy. Acting will never be the same. I will miss you Patrick. RIP

chloe

Sad, I hope his family finds peace. What happened to the WAR ON CANCER! Rest in peace. I loved watching him dance, my husband loves Road House.

Philly215

I dont even know what to say he was one of the greatest ..............he made some of the best movies of all time may he REST IN PIECE....now he wont be in any more pain

Gailf

NOW THAT WAS A TRUE MAN. ONE THAT ANY PERSON WOULD WANT IN THEIR LIFE!! YOU WERE TRULY ONE OF A KIND!!! GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY AND LOVING WIFE!!! YOU WILL BE SO MISSED!!!

jlb