Dave's Alleged Extortionist Busted Outside CBS

10/2/2009 10:14 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David LettermanWe've learned Robert "Joe" Halderman was arrested yesterday outside the CBS headquarters in NYC, and it was news to the people inside who make the news.

Our sources say the Manhattan D.A. played the investigation close to the vest and people inside the building were baffled when the highly-respected producer was cuffed and hauled off in the David Letterman extortion case.

As we already reported Halderman had a relationship with Stephanie Birkitt and lived with her. But we're told they had broken up "recently." We do not know who ended the relationship, but Halderman allegedly was in possession of Birkitt's diary, correspondence and photos -- which he says incriminated Letterman.

People connected with the network tell us Letterman did have a relationship with Birkitt, but the word is that it ended before Letterman had his baby in 2003.

Wombat

I wonder if he will get "producer" credits when his own case appears on 48HOURS?

Allen Ridak

Those two were always so obvious. You could tell when they split, she started treating him like crap, on air.

Stacey

huh.....got anymore sleazy Palin jokes, Dave?

JACK arnet

I hope letterman gets fired. He is a loud mouthed hippocrite.

....

She is Uuuuuuggly! Total butterface. But then again, Letterman is nothing to look at either. Now, the whole nation sees her as a grave robbing, home wrecking, sk@nk. Good Job, babe, here's your 15 minutes of shame.

janalal4

Dang! How OLD is this girl anyway? She's Not ugly by any means, just sorta plain. Too good for Letterman. EEWWWW! Now, Craig Ferguson is different story. I'll take HIM ANYDAY!!

chicken head

HEY DAVE-- i hope it gets around about you and that 16 year old YOU PERV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kooky Fan

KARMA SUCKS - RIGHT DAVE??

La Toya Jackson

Back to Michael Jackson .. Mo Money for us!!! .. Buy our family dvd's, cd's, t shirts and of course tickets to our movie .. Ker Ching

La Toya Jackson

David Letterman is no Michael Jackson!! .. Back to us .. mo money .. mo money .. MUCH MO MONEY !!!! .. Ker Ching

who has the facts? ME

Oh yeah...Stephanie was the one who always came into the audience when Dave handed out restaurant certificates...
Anyway, it's a non-story, except for the fact that Dave had the guts to turn the extorsionist in.
Republicans senator John Ensign had his Mommy and Daddy pay off the employee's wife HE was sleeping with, and then tried to get his high powered buddies to give the mistresse's hubby a job to shut him up...pretty shady.
Bravo Dave, for following the law.

yeah....and?

Karma? Huh?

What do you people think he should have done? Given up the cash? Come on, we all have things that one could try and extort from us don't we?

Except we are all broke. So, I suspect that isn't going to happen.

Dave did the right thing in my view. I would never let some stuipd man, and I do a stuipd man, try and blackmail me. Now he's in jail.

The Palin thing?

I think the Republicanknuckleheads need to remind themselves that its THEIR PARTY that has some kind of sex scandal coming out every three seconds, whether its gay guys finally getting caught or the men cheating and saying they were simply hiking, or the "family Valus' guy from Cal. talkin' smack and spanking all of his many mistresses. REMEMBER???!!!

Man, I need to party with YUUUZZZZ GGGUUUYYYYSSS!!!!! The Party of 'Family Values" KNOWS how to party better then us Liberals it seems!

Lastly, one needs to be intelligent to understand humor, esp. adult humor, I have a feeling that is why many of you don't like Dave, ya'll just don't get it do you?

Wink, wink, you betcha!

Amy

Of course extortion is wrong, but that still doesn't excuse Mr. Letterman from being such a classless fool. He is such a hypocrite. Is anyone else sick of this moron and his tired show??

sL

only the liberal media can spin this to make it out that it's simply an extortion case as oppose to this guy CHEATED ON HIS SIGNIFICANT OTHER AND HAS AN AFFAIR..........
if this was someone else, it would be all about the affair aspect..

jabba

Dave, my man, I really, really like you. Not cool! Not cool at all. When I saw Stephanie on your show doing all the 'little extras' I said to my husband, something is going on there. You sent her everywhere--the olympics--special segments. She would wear the Late Show coat and bring the prizes out!! You are old enough to know better!!! You just went down several rungs on the ladder. However, for someone to extort money is even worse. I'm sure you will 'pay' in the end!! I was so proud of you and your behavior after Harry's birth. I will still laugh, but it won't be the same, if you know what I mean. Disgusting--Stephanie is young enough to be your daughter for Christ's sake. Let's get it together for Harry's sake. Regina deserves better than what you gave her. But not knowing all the details, I hope we don't start reading about you in the tabloids. Guess there was a reason you didn't marry. Please, don't make anymore jokes about Elliot Spitzer and all the other cheaters. Come on. DO BETTER.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments