Woman in Letterman Case Lived with Suspect

10/2/2009 9:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One of the women at the center of the David Letterman alleged extortion case is Stephanie Birkitt, his former assistant -- according to the search warrant obtained by FOX 5 New York. And, the warrant says, Birkitt was the suspect's girlfriend and we've learned she was living with him until recently.

Stephanie Birkitt: Click to watch
According to the warrant, the suspect, "48 Hours" producer Robert "Joe" Halderman, sent Letterman a package which allegedly included treatments for a screenplay with supporting materials.

The warrant goes on to say the "supporting materials" included copies of parts of a diary and correspondence belonging to Birkitt.

Halderman allegedly sent more documents, including letters, emails and photos.

On September 23, Halderman allegedly told undercover cops he wouldn't make the diary public if Letterman anted up $2 million.

Letterman acknowledged on his show last night he had sexual relations with female members of his staff.

Birkett has been a regular on Letterman's show (see video).

WhoaNelly

"Stephanie will deliver the sandwich to my office and the doctor will be there to perform the Heimlich in case of choking."

Inspired video choice, so many instant mental images (LMAO).

JustMe

I don't see what the fuss is about. David Letterman is an adult who had a relationship with another consenting adult WHILE NEITHER WERE MARRIED. Second, none of us is privy to the inner workings of his relationship with his now wife, so for all we know, they have an open relationship. It's not for us to judge or speculate. I admire him for having the guts to break the story himself, rather than give excuses. He's an adult, everyone involved in this is an adult, and it's none of my business. He's funny, and I will watch him as I have done for years.

What's the deal with all you Sarah Palin nuts? I mean, really! He's a comedian, he made very topical jokes about a political (e.g., public) figure, and he is far from the only one. He made a joke about Palin and her daughter when they were in NY, where he is located, and she and her nutball apologists turned it into something that it never actually was. He never said a thing about rape - that was her spin on it, and the KoolAid drinkers took it as marching orders and ran with it. Seriously, the freakin' election is over, she is THANKFULLY not our vice president, so can we (a) move on, and (b) stick to the topic at hand? Geesh. (I already know the answer to that question, btw, but a girl can dream, right?)

Pat

Dave "Lets hope the wife's not watching" lol

randi

Letterman you're a despictable human being, you think your sh** doesn't stink. I hope Leno and Conan talk about what an idiot you are on their shows.
Where do you get off thinking you're above everyone in Hollywood?
You're ratings suck, they need to cancel your show

Tim

you bums. dont talk about ratings!!! look em up on the net jerks. Letterman has consistantly been beating conan's ass in the ratings since he took over the tonight show. Dave was hitting "Monty" lol

schoen1

I've always thought David Letterman was a complete jerk, but I didn't know how right I was until now.

johnnie

IT'S NOT TOO FUNNY NOW IS IT DAVE, WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. HOPE SARA PALIN IS WATCHING. THAT IS CALLED KARMA.

who dat

This will be the end of his show. I predict the ratings will plunge. After the public gets the story. Doesn't matter. Letterman has been phoning in the show for at least 5 years. To bad he wasn't F'n the "will it float" girls. They were some hot bitches.

Nix

Now I know why I nevered liked David Letterman after seeing this video. He has his mistress do this skit and this man is posing as a Doctor and he gets the Doctor to show the Hemilick manoeuver on her which is really to simulate sex act. Honestly, and DL goes, 'I hope your wife isn't watching' Sick!! He's a pervert and that kind of humour is not funny at all and really now that we know she, Stephanie, was his bedmate, even sicker for him, David, to put her in this position. She looks way too young for him plus she's only in it for the money and did it to be on tv. It's sad how woman are used this way. And, you just knew the Doctor wasn't going to do it to the store clerk. Zzzzzzzzzz!!

Tray

oh my is that "Schmitty"??? hmmm.... not surprised.

JillS

I think I remember when he sent her to the Winter Olympics to report back updates!! It was such a lame skit. She was like the dry, quiet, bored side kick. Never was funny.

shanny

Conan is funnier anyhow. Dave lost it years ago.

Bobo Frog

The doctor wasn't the only one eating a sandwich in Dave's office...apparently Dave was snacking on some open-faced Bologna sandwiches. "Let's just hope the wife's not watching."

tangledweb

A person CAN NOT have truely have consensual sex with a subordinate employee! I don't think this is funny at all, Mr. Letterman. I certainly hope you get everything you deserve.

tangledweb

I am truly sorry for the embarrassment you have caused your loved ones. I hope that Stephanie decides to sue the living sh_ t out of you. That is what needs to happen to all of the pigs out there taking advantage of naive young girls within their reach!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments