Paul Rodriguez Blames Illness on Smut Mishap

10/8/2009 1:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paul RodriguezSo turns out a fungus might have sent Paul Rodriguez to the ICU -- and get this ... he actually ordered it as an appetizer.

We're told the comedian was at a Mexican joint in Washington D.C. where he got the "Carne Asada Plate" ... but he started things off with a dish containing huitlacoche -- a corn fungus also known as "corn smut" -- and that's what he thinks made him sick.

It may be a Mexican delicacy, but there's nothing delicate about spending three days in the hospital.

Simone

First!!!!!!!!!

whatever

Im mexican and I've never even hear of that...sound pretty gross though...

Rob Jenkins

Glad your doing better paul. You were always in our thoughts and well wishes. Take care.
Rob Jenkins
www.RobJenkinsMagic.com

whats up Doctors

I copied and pasted this for the people who are not sure what goes in the comment area. Kope it helps
Remember me
E-Mail me when someone replies to this comment

Please keep your comments relevant to this blog entry. Email addresses

are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/08/paul-rodriguez-blames-illness-on-smut-mishap-hultlacoche-corn-icu/#comments#ixzz0TL89lyC0

I'm hungry

Hey Kooky ... any recipes for corn smut ??? ..... lol

justsaying

He should have just gone to Mexico and drink the water.

justsaying

I'd bet anything that NO.5 is a WASP. That word has all the trademarks.

mmafighter4life

damn mexicans will eat anything. from screwing donkeys, to killing bulls as a sport, to chicken fighting to eating fungus. definitly 1 species on this plant that we could live without

sL

Hey TMZ.. if you are going to constantly cover Paul, make it positive... or do you oppose how he is trying to help the farmers/farm workers in the Central Valley...??? Why don't you use all this press and time of yours to bring light to the situation down there.... Get the water turned back on... Help this guy help all those 1,000s of people in the Central Valley get their farms back and running...... do you not realize how many people are out of work?? do something positive with your time and don't just report stupid gossip!!

Milly

Corn smut IS gross! It's a fungus that attacks corn stalks. It used to grow on our farm's corn. It looks like a disease. I can't believe anybody would eat this.

Just sayin'

# 9 That's just what I was going to say! You beat me to it.

I'm hungry

NO.7 is wrong as usual ... i'm a hornet ....LMFAO!!!!!

A. Minnitman

Paul Rodriguez: "Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if eating all that ROTTEN CORN could have made me sick???"......... "Nah, it couldn't be that,.......Hey waiter, bring me some more Peruvian Guinea pig tartare, a plate of Escamoles and a Corona to wash it down!" His dining habits are as rancid as his so-called 'jokes'.

hello

have you ever eaten mushrooms? mushrooms are a fungus people! i've had huitlacoche and it's actually quite tasty. eating a fungus does not make you sick--poor food handling and preparation do.

Buckz

I once took a job for college money picking fields of corn, my cousins went with me. We worked until it was dark, thus couldn't see the smut on the ears as we grabbed. It's really gross and mooshy, Think of a corn kernel with severe athlete's foot disease. We had nightmares of it.

Then I met a guy who actually eats it. I thought it was a hillbilly thing. He eats it fried.