« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

ESPN Benches Bob Griese for 'Taco' Crack

10/26/2009 9:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Can anyone at ESPN keep a job? The network suspended Bob Griese today for a racist remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

While he was calling Saturday's Minnesota-Ohio State game, Griese made a crack about Montoya saying he was "out having a taco." Montoya is Colombian.

ESPN is yanking Griese off the air for one week, and a rep for the network says Griese "understands the comment was inappropriate."

Yesterday ESPN fired baseball analyst Steve Phillips after news broke of his sex scandal with a production assistant.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

kim

Why is ESPN held to a higher moral standard than CBS and David Letterman?

jr70895

WTF?... This is beyond stupid, this is really making something out of nothing.

homie 1 kanobe

WTF is a matter ESPN, It was a joke, We got more problems to deal with than a joke. Hey ESPN If ya have some time, Look up the First Amendment, If you don't agree with it,you need to move ESPN Headquarters to Venezuela, Where all Broadcast are scripted by a Dictator

Chad A

He's being benched until the problem goes away.....

How long will it take for us to forget his racism?

ChuckyDee

This is absolutely ridiculous. Colombians eat tacos? I thought they were all busy with the drug trade and that one driving for NASCAR.

scissors

I don't think there's anything wrong with that comment at all. In fact I often say around people of Hispanic descent that I'm ready for a taco and a beer...just to let them know that I understand their culture and values.

Simone

BORING. Talk about me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jez

These old white guys need to figure out that America is no longer only white. Idiots.

Rap sucks

In 1992, the LA riots occurred due to racism.

Rossana

How ignorante of him, Colombians do not eat tacos as they native dishes and don't speak mexican either they speak spanish like the rest of central america, spain and most of south america! Tacos are from Mexico. That just shows one more time the lack of international knowledge and cultural education of some american people, and how sad that he happens to work on tv.
It's like saying go eat your fried chicken and drink your kool-aid and the driver was black, it is stereotyping no matter what!.

aimhlpben

if Rev Sharpton made the same comment, everybody'd be laughing. Come on Obama, make things better like you promised!!!!

Erika

His comments were inappropriate, not racist. I believe the best revenge was the fact that Juan Pablo finished 3rd yesterday. Take that taco and shove it, Griese!

knightkrawlerz6

Oh come on! I'm Mexican and guess what, I eat Tacos. It's not like I would find it offensive if someone said, oh he's at a Taco stand. Everyone's so sensitive these days.

UGGGGHHH

ESPN IS GOING OVER BOARD NOW.. HE APOLOGIZED..

CHANGE THE CHANNEL NOW. NO MORE SPORTS FOR ME...

Dang!

First Amendment, my ass! Your right to yell "fire" ends when it's in a crowded room, there's a stampede and there's no fire. Your right to swing your arm ends when it hits someone in the face. And PLEASE, we can't call something as wrong because then we need to "grow a pair?" If America had brains (instead of balls) it would be acceptable to for EVERYONE to admit that 8 years of President Bush was wrong. Talk about stupid! America is seen as stupid because it's too preoccupied with looking tough rather than being smart and doing the right thing.

It was racist comment, and as such, inappropriate. Griese-ball deserves to be benched. Period. Apologize to the people who felt offended (including Montoya) and have him and his racist fans learn a lesson...as for comment #25, Campy, that's like saying "I often tell my white, redneck, hillbilly friends that I'm ready to marry my sister and 'git er done' just to let them know I understand their culture and values." Moron.