« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mike Tyson

Arrested at LAX

11/12/2009 2:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE 8:33 PM PT: Cops tell TMZ Tyson was released on his own recognizance.

UPDATE 8:13 PM PT
: Tyson has been booked for misdemeanor battery and his bail has been set at $20,000. The photog was also booked on misdemeanor battery -- Tyson claims the photog got so close he actually made contact with the boxer.

TMZ has learned Mike Tyson has been arrested at LAX airport for battery after a bloody confrontation with a paparazzo outside the United terminal. We're told Tyson punched the pap in the face and there is blood everywhere.

Mike Tyson: Click to watch
We're told Tyson was at a ticket counter at the United Airlines terminal when the incident occurred. The photographer got punched in the face, hit the ground, got up and began walking, leaving a trail of blood. An LAPD spokesperson said the photographer suffered a minor laceration to the forehead.

Someone at the scene tells TMZ ... the photographer got very close to Tyson before the boxer struck him. Our source says there's blood on the ground and Mike was taken away in a squad car. We're told an ambulance was dispatched at 4:39 PM to LAX and the paparazzo was transported to a local hospital.

Cops say Tyson and the photographer performed citizen's arrests on each other -- both are expected to be booked for misdemeanor battery. Cops also said witnesses backed both stories ... so that could get interesting.

If Tyson is prosecuted, given that he's a former boxing champ, the charge could end up being assault with a deadly weapon.

Tyson's rep says he was traveling with his 10-month old daughter when he was attacked by an overly aggressive paparazzi -- adding the boxer acted in self-defense to protect his child.

More Today in TMZ History

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Emory

Good lord if you dont wont the pops dont be a DUM ASS.if your famous
the pops will be their dill with it,who cares about some unknow dum ass.get real
Emory

ray goodman

Im offering $100 dollars for the first man that can get a picture of a paparazzi getting his face bashed in and sent to the hospital with lots of blood! The picture must be real and the event must be real. im not asking anyone to hurt anybody only if you see a crime taking place take a picture. I would just like to see a bloody paparazzi. if you get the picture just contact me on myspace here"s the link to my page. http://www.myspace.com/drivehard1

Tyson's spokeswoman Tammy Brook said the boxer was traveling with his wife and 10-month-old child Wednesday afternoon when he was attacked by an overly aggressive paparazzo. The 43-year-old acted in self-defense to protect his child, she said.

free mike tyson

me

Team Tyson!

Leaving aside the fact he made some serious mistakes in life when he was much younger, I have met Mike and spoken with him and I don't believe for a minute he would hit the guy without some very serious provocation.

If TMZ had the whole story....you would understand

LEAVE MIKE ALONE!!!!! I LOVE MIKE!!!! ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL!!!!

This is bs, you mess with someone and when you get hurt, you cry foul! I feel the same for this pap, as I feel for the dead punk at the zoo! You f with anything and when you get f'd up you cry "Why" Because you f'd up!

LOVE YOU MIKE!!!!

me

Stephen,
I also met Mike in Vegas and he also struck me as really nice, and I'm a woman. I really doubt he did this without the guy seriously provoking him.

Quiet

He just buried his 4 yr old daughter earlier this year who died strangling her self by accident on exercise machine. No one should ever bury their child. LEAVE MIKE THE EFF ALONE!

cyekim

Hooray for Mike Tyson! After watching clip after clip of some of these papparazzos and their rude and crude ways of invading a persons privacy. More and more of them should be knocked out!

doingfinethanks.

due to a riot?

ray goodman

TMZ are the only cool one's they are not paparazzi to me they are more like news reporter" i will not pay that $100 dollars " if the picture from any one AT TMZ or any of there friends

TMZ ARE NOT PAPARAZZI THEY ARE NEWS REPORTER

" DO NOT HURT ANY ONE FROM TMZ "

Dirk

Keep ya head up Mike.

Vortex Puddle

Poor Mike;
He needs to protect his daughter from the Paps, and gets hassled at the airport by them. Sorry it came to blows.. I guess the paparazzi guy got the worst of it. Hope it can all get worked out in the courts. Glad I'm not famous, and can travel without problems where I feel like I have to punch out a photographer in the process.. http://www.vortexpuddle.com/

di

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY STICKING UP FOR THIS BEAST.
I don't care how sad his childhood was and how much he claims to be a "changed man",
obviously it's NOT TRUE. he doesn't care about his kids AT ALL. why else would be impregnate
numerous women? he's a male whore slut. his dead child is better off without knowing
this human waste. he is despicable. come on people, he is a CONVICTED RAPIST!!!!
HELLO PEOPLE!!!! he's a major f!@k-up, always will be. HE'LL NEVER CHANGE cuz
it's always someone else's fault. he's better off dead. please do the rest of your children
a favor, and KILL YOURSELF.

Mick

What do these idiots expect, shoving cameras in people's faces, got what he deserved if you ask me!

DT71

Y'all 'hate' the paparazzi but come to a paparazzi-website to check out the latest news about celebs. What the f#*$ do you want!? If YOU don't care about celebs, paparazzi would be out of a job. But I don't blame Mike. Hit a couple more Mike!

annie

hey, didn,t they get enough on oprah,what did he have to ask mike that was so important,mike has his 10 month old baby with him,these stars have a right to keep ther family away from the camera,s,there needs to be a law,now the camera guy is famous,he was punched by mike and got up and waled away,lets see if he likes it, when people ask him in public,leave mike alone,give him space,peace,annie,pa