Rape Joke Incites Laughter on 'The View'

11/18/2009 3:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Inappropriate: Sofia Vergara joking about being raped on "The View" today.
More Inappropriate: Several members on "The View" panel LAUGHING about it!!!!!

Sofia Vergara: Click to watch
For the record -- Whoopi "rape rape" Goldberg was the only one who looked disturbed by the joke. You can hear someone on the set say, "Whoaaa!" -- but it's unclear whose mouth it came from.

Thanks to Jezebel for pointing it out.

Kathie!

Sofia knew what she was saying..does not matter that English is not her first language. I speak Spanish and don't think "rape" is funny in any language or country.

She is REALLY vain and uses humor to poke fun at being a young mom.
This however was not appropriate. She should have left it at her remark that she was 13 when she got pregnant, not true but that would have shocked people that did not know better.

Funny how someone on here, posted different meanings for the word RAPE. Very unnecessary, she meant rape in the way we are all understanding it.
I think Joy Behar is the one that said "Whoa." The ladies of the View looked uncomfortable but I don't think any of them laughed.

Kat

Even though I hate The View, I happened to be flipping the channels this morning, and caught her saying this. It was shocking. Then I thought about it. Actually if you say the same thing in Spanish, it doesn't sound nearly as bad as in English. So I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now, and chalk it up to English not being her first language.

abe

is is just me or is this video not working?

nemo

Wow, the minions at TMZ are becoming even more over-the-top, ridiculous PC police than even the racebating duo of Jackson and Sharpton. You idiots are aware that words have more than just one meaning, correct?

Rape as other meanings such as:

. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
. Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
–verb (used with object)
. to plunder (a place); despoil.
. to seize, take, or carry off by force.

Therefore, Sofia was correct, and not being offensive, you goons.

WhoDatSaintsFan

Better check your grammar TMZ.

AC

If only the joke was about Roman Polanski raping that kid, maybe THEN Whoopi could have seen the funny side of it all.

Inquiring Mind

That was a total Dumb Joke... It doesn't sound right, I m sure it's an inside Latin Joke but come on IT makes Latin woman all over look like BEAUTIFUL BIMBOS' ON HEELS... I'm sure she didn't mean it that way, but she is really gonna piss off people.

BinB'more

Of course, this is ironic since it comes just weeks after Whoopie contended that Roman Polanski's rape of a 14 year old girl, whom he also plied with drugs and alcohol, and who begged him to stop, was not rape. I guess her definition of rape depends on politics or whether she likes the attacker. Another deep Hollywood hypocrite. If only TMZ would dog her as hard as they have the righty hypocrite, Carrie Prejean. Funny...I guess it all depends on politics and who you like for TMZ, too!

WhoDatSaintsFan

For those that dont get the "joke", she is joking that she was only 13 when she had her son because she doesn't want to admit she is old enough to have a child that age and "jokes" that she was raped and that's how it happened.

nemo

Maybe if Sofia would have said "rape-rape" as Whoopie did to defend her dear friend the child molester, Roman, she would have been more welcoming of the comment.

lilly

Dios mio, I'm still surprised those bitches understood my ingles ...

Kasey

In Response To Dumba$$ liberal loons

In this interview she was talking about having a child early so that meant the context was about sex and when ur raped its not consentual sex so therefore DUMMY it was offensive. How about u look at the interview then make a decision, then come up with a conclusion. but ur a Republican and therefore STUPID and dont get the facts before u pass judgement. HAHAHA From a liberal

strosfan

Actually, her son is 20 years old, not 18, and she is 37. Which means she was pregnant at 16, and was jokingly using the statement " I was raped" as to explain away why she had a child when she was just a child. Sad, if it wasn't a joke, since everyone was laughing, and sickening if it was, since rape is NO laughing matter.

lisa

NOT FUNNY. I am sure she probably did not "mean" to sound like a dumb ass, insensitive jerk... but this is one topic that should not be taken lightly or as a joke. Seriously, there should be an apology given... by Sofia and by the ladies on the view. Hurtful.

strosfan

Correction: her son is 17, so she was 19 when she was pregnant.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments