Tyler Perry

Sued Over Praising Jesus

11/26/2009 10:43 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Tyler Perry used too much of the goodness of Jesus in his movie, "Madea Goes to Jail," at least according to a new federal lawsuit obtained by TMZ.

1126_tyler_perry_doc_launch_ex-1

The suit, filed by the personal representative of deceased gospel singer/songwriter Bertha James, claims Perry lifted an entire verse from a song James wrote in 1950 -- "When I Think of the Goodness of Jesus."

The suit claims Perry pilfered the verse and used it in "Madea" -- specifically, "incorporating the entire Chorus in a monologue delivered by the main character in 'Madea" referencing her deliverance from a jail sentence and leniency for repetitive criminal conduct, in a staged court proceeding presided over by 'Judge Mabeline.'"

Bertha's estate, which is also suing Lionsgate Entertainment, wants unspecified damages for copyright infringement.

Kevin

First??????

Simone

Yes, first!!!!! But, at least, I am the second!!!! Hhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaahahhahahahaha.

Balls has no Balls

O.K.?

balls

How much is that KOOKY in the window (arf, arf)
The one with the waggley tail
How much is that KOOKY in the window (arf, arf)
I do hope that KOOKY'S for sale

/////////////////////////////////////////////////// T O O T !!! /////////////////////////////////////////////////// T O O T !!! ///////////////////////////////////////////////////

T O O T !!! T O O T !!!

A Person

Shame on both parties - thinking they can just say the word "God" and make millions of dollars.

Allen Ridak

Love the judge's name. Maybe it's her married name, or...... Maybe she's born with it

WillOTheWisp

That is total BullShi#!

Everybody knows all church going people use the phrase "When I Think of the Goodness of Jesus." I've been hearing that all my life!

That clown doesn't have a leg to stand on!

The Lord is on your side Tyler! Don't pay him any attention!

Des

I think Tyler Perry is a total nut job anyway... how can people like this get a series on t.v let alone 2 of them? This is a completely stupid story line in any movie... he is being paid for being a drag queen.

Brittanee

As far as the article is concerned I understand that the person who wrote the songs thinks they deserve there money after Madea stole there song. I do feel bad for Tyler Perry because this messes with his creditability. They also are taking this up to Liongate (the company that works with his movies). Even though his other movie didn't do as well as predicted he still has fans, so I guess we will have to wait and see as this story unfolds.

JJKITTY

Shame on you! Tyler is a GENIUS and this is how he spreads the good word of God. I get his message in his movies and it is VERY suttle compared to the screaming evangilist!

Brittanee

@ Wilothewisp...I dont think it's that big of a deal either...so everytime some says Jesus Wept who would you sue..the person is sueing him but as Wilothewisp said it probably won't go any further unless the have some other creditable reasons for sueing him :)

Cherry

Oh now they decide to sue him over some phrase. I am surprised they hadn't done it sooner. And honestly it is really dumb suing over it considering I hear a lot of people use that phrase including some churches and church goers like that one person has stated.

They might as well sue everyone else for using it daily then too if they are going to sue Tyler Perry who is an amazing and funny actor over it. Jeebus. Shame shame really.

Your in everyone's prayers who believes in you Tyler! =]

naomi

this is just crap, people need to get a life and stop trying to take peoples money for stupid things, bet that he did not even know of the song, almost everything we say has been in a song, they need to get real and drop it.

whatever777

A Little Black On Black Crime... don't you think?

kimstown