Tyler Perry

Sued Over Praising Jesus

11/26/2009 10:43 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Tyler Perry used too much of the goodness of Jesus in his movie, "Madea Goes to Jail," at least according to a new federal lawsuit obtained by TMZ.

1126_tyler_perry_doc_launch_ex-1

The suit, filed by the personal representative of deceased gospel singer/songwriter Bertha James, claims Perry lifted an entire verse from a song James wrote in 1950 -- "When I Think of the Goodness of Jesus."

The suit claims Perry pilfered the verse and used it in "Madea" -- specifically, "incorporating the entire Chorus in a monologue delivered by the main character in 'Madea" referencing her deliverance from a jail sentence and leniency for repetitive criminal conduct, in a staged court proceeding presided over by 'Judge Mabeline.'"

Bertha's estate, which is also suing Lionsgate Entertainment, wants unspecified damages for copyright infringement.

Banny

Oh man "When I Think of the Goodness of Jesus." Sue me now.

B

Seriously??? Your kidding right? Tyler Perry does such great work. He is a faith man and I feel comfortable with my CHILDREN watching him. He doesn't do this to make the money, he does it to bring smiles and values into our homes.

Banny

To all the haters, get a life

Hollywood's a Hazard

Much of what Mr. Perry writes is borrowed. That scene where Madea drops the car is way too close to Kathy Bates car smashing scene in Fried Green Tomatoes. I see some similarities with Mama's House and Beauty Shop as well in this movie. Love that Judge Mabeline though!

Sharon

What a stupid money-grab....so classless to sue over such trivia ..I truly hope it is thrown out.

TT

God should strike them dead!!!

arlene

The woman who wrote the song would probably be glad to know some one was still using the words for others to hear. This is ridiculous.

Then they'll have to sue every preacher in America that has ever said and sung that verse. Ministers quote ALL the time and then sell the tapes in a series!

J, H. James

I am amazed at the ignorance many of you have displayed through your comments on this subject. How can you not respect a 54 year old Mother & Grandmother being a businesswoman by going to have her extensive writings & compositions protected by the existing Copyright Laws of the United States. http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

My Grandmother, Bertha Valentine James' song - "When I Think of the Goodness of JESUS" became very popular & widely sung & celebrated amongst many Christians in America a few years after it was written. [1936] So much so that many people who obviously don't have time to read their BIBLE (so busy thumping it) believe that some of the song lyrics are actual BIBLE scripture. [NOT SO]

I wonder how many of you who are here defending Tyler Perry (I am a fan of his work just as you are) have ever watched or purchased a bootleg copy of one of his plays or movies - if you have, you have violated the very same Copyright Laws that protect my Grandmother's Compositions. YOU HAVE STOLEN REVENUES FROM TYLER PERRY - he should sue you!!! Anyone who burns CDs, buys/watches/listens to bootleg Cds/DVDs is guilty of this and you should stop.

I suggest some of you educate yourselves and attempt viewing things from a broader perspective. What if it were YOUR Grandmother? You would likely feel disrespected.

The Law is the Law!

J. H. James

Retrofaze

Never in a million years would I have thought that Tyler Perry would stoop as low as to steal...this all sounds a little fishy to me. Everybody wants an easy buck for someone else's hard work.

The best of the 80s and 90s music, movies and more!

lev_lam

you can find more about Tyler Perry click here http://www.topnflnews.com/

Rosey

Tyler Perry came on the scene dressing as a drag queen, he firest said it was because of his mom and aunt but in an article I read Tyler said that he was watching the Eddie Murphy "The Nutty Professor and thought he can play many characters too and Madea was born. Alot of his stories I found was changed many times and different stories. If you have to steal ideas from other people than how smart can Tyler Perry be? Everything Tyler Perry does is to gain respect for what he never was shown growing up. All these lawsuits Tyler should pay attention to because it is the man who gets respect not the money, He can lose it as fast as he got it so Tyler greed will consume you. And stick to one story you keep changing your life story of how you climbed the ladder but just as I found all the different lies so will everybody else.

Shane

Tyler Perry I believe is a thief. He is not an original artist, and everyone suing him is not lieing, it's just too many of them.
He was sued showing 76 similarities between "Diary Of A Mad Black Woman" which was originally "Fantasy Of A Black Woman". He is being sued for the song "The Devil Thought He Had Me, But I Got Away" and now he's being sued by a dead womans estate singer/songwriter Bertha James. And how do you consider yourselves christians while supporting a man wearing women's clothing and acting as a woman. Jesus destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah with the first atom bomb. How do you think he looks at us now. Wake up people, Jesus is coming back. You may find him funny, but he's walking in a dress contrary to God's word.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4