Jay-Z Sues Tea House for Ripping 'Umbrella'

12/2/2009 2:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jay-Z Sues Tea House Jay-Z is lumping up a tea house in Alabama claiming the place was rockin' his music without paying the price.

Just like Taylor Swift, Bon Jovi and Gwen Stefani, Jay also signed on to a lawsuit against a small business that plays his music without paying for the rights.

This time the sting operation went down at a place in Mobile, AL called A Spot of Tea -- which turns into a nightclub called Club Insanity.

According to the lawsuit, agents working for ASCAP -- an enforcer of music royalties -- observed the bar rocking out all sorts of tunes they're not allowed to play, including:

- Mary Jane by Rick James
- Erotica by Madonna
- Rock With You by Michael Jackson
- Umbrella by Rihanna and Jay-Z

Now Jay-Z, along with the publishers of the other songs, wants the Tea-bags to pay up.

And really, he could use the cash...

Simone

First!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that.is.all

Screw this fat bastard and the heffer he's married to.

PinkyxOmg

I LOVE YOU MICHAEL JACKSON

really??

first!!

that.is.all

Do they get any uglier than JayZ?

Simone

I don't know if a process like this can result in a meaningful amount of money. I think that this small places, maybe, are helping to make publicity for the songs of those artists.
So, I am not sure that spend money and time in a lawsuit is worth.

LaDyDaLeSbN

They're just small timers... Why even waste his time. I doubt if he needs the money. Not with his record label, clothing label, career and a chick like Bey... Get out of here

i2excel

Jay-Z!!!!! you are as ugly as a rat and you are about 2 come down hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are more than ugly, you are good uuugggly moooggly, good uuugggly moooggly. You ugly rat!!!!

Loulou

Who the hell cares?

MOBLAW

this is why i illegally download music

Sean

Wait, DJ's have to pay the artists for playing their music at a club? That's news to me.

SuperStarSteve

Paying to pay music at a club? I've never heard of that. What is JayZ going to do, run around town all night running in and out of bars for his music? WTF?

Tayo

This is ridiculous. These artists make millions of dollars and they choose to take down and go after a lil old nightclub in Mobile, Ala. This club probably only makes few thousand a month. Another case of the big man trying to stick it to the little man.

Brandon

It's not about picking on the little guy. It's about protecting your creations from future abuse.

If someone else(a business or whatever) started playing music without paying they could(theoretically) go back and say "Well hey, you didn't stop these guys, so why us?".

Cristina in Tampa

I don't get it...I didn't realize that clubs have to PAY each artist for playing their songs to, ahem, entertain their patrons...? I think that's getting a bit too greedy...and I now support illegally downloading music! I'm sorry, but the music isn't worth it..and it's certainly not THAT good! God forbid the artists have to put in an honest day's work (AND a little sweat) to get paid!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments