« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mark McGwire Admits Most Obvious Thing Ever

1/11/2010 5:14 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Mark McGwire Admits Most Obvious Thing EverMark McGwire is finally confessing ... he used steroids. Duh.

In a carefully written, blame-shifting statement, McGwire said, "I wish I had never touched steroids ... It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

McGwire said he took steroids during the 1998 season when he hit 70 home runs, then a record.

Your move, Bonds.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

QE2

"Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

"Officer, I would never have had 10 drinks if what-his-name didn't have a party........"

"Your Honor, I regret that there was a bank on the corner for me to rob....."

"I wish I had never become a broker in the ponzi-scheme era"..Bernie Madoff

Chester the CPA

When you return 5 MILLION back to Major League Baseball then I will believe you are sorry... until that time

. Now, Fine him, ban him from MLB, remove his name off the record books and we are almost done.

Bonds R U listening?

Sloane

"Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

way to NOT up and accept personally responsibility for your choice

pathetic!! lie, lie some more and then blame it on the "era"

I have no respect for this man at all

Cappy Lills Kid

Wow what a surprise - you could knock me over with a feather. NOT

bka62223

Now it's time he appolgizes to his testicles!!!!

karma

34. I have never commented on the TMZ site before, but this needs to be said. Mark McGwire owes me a personal apology. My sitcom Costello was to premier in 1998, after weeks of full on press, only to be pre- empted by Mr McGwire hitting his 62nd home run.

I'm very sorry that happened to you, Sue. May karma catch up to Mark McGwire. Perhaps future employers might frown on this fraudster way of conducting business. We all knew the obvious but when someone waits 12 years to apologize and admit, he only must be doing so because he wants something. Best of luck from here on, Sue.

di

Is he one of the missing Balloon boy kids? Steroids, what steroids???
We get it Mark, you are a jerk and don't belong in the Hall of Fame, with our with out an asterisk.

Mary

Yes, this does have a lot to do with Barry Bonds as Mark McGwire took the Fifth Amendment (a protection under the USA Constitution) due to the fact that he did not have the courage or balls to do otherwise. Now they can all come out and start over.... What's the difference between this coward taking the Fifth Amendment and Barry Bonds lying under oath in the various important investigations? The professional sports Halls of Fame now need to separate the historical categories for users and non-users (then) start over, again.

The only thing I don't like about Barry Bonds is the fact that he would not give little boys free baseball signatures but, instead, greedily charge $25 plus for a signature ball. Aside from that all the users are basically lumped together as they defrauded the early authentic athletes of their records. Unfortunately, Barry Bonds became a greedy bastard to the parents of Little Leaguers and others who took their children to the professional games.

MY EYES!!!

Read: "I'm sorry I got caught however the money and fame was great, but I can't do anything in the public eye without scrutiny so I'm 'fessing up. "

Master

"What's the difference between this coward taking the Fifth Amendment and Barry Bonds lying under oath in the various important investigations?"

the big difference would be HE LIED.. lol That is a HUGE no no with the FBI.. He did the right thing not saying anything in front of congress and confess he soul with out immunity.. any good lawyer would have told him, you , me anyone in that same position to take the fifth.. i am glad he came out the way he did on his own terms, without his name coming out on some list that he had positive test somewhere..

p51d007

Sorry Mark...I've been a Cardinals fan for almost 50 years, but, you have LIED about this before. I'm sure you are sorry for it, but, too bad. No hall of fame for you. You do the crime, you do the time! Hopefully, the Cardinals will distance themselves from you!
I'm sure you are really sorry, but, you got caught!

kromen

I want too take steroids; just to prove to you idiots that you can be juiced to the gills and still can't hit 93 mph, breaking left. How many people even know how roids work?

LongJohn69

He made this town roar with excitement and it NEEDS every roar it can get any way it can get them. He finally came clean....late....but he did it. Let's move on. I wish the Rams could all back into some needles next season. Maybe some roars would return to town backwoods town again.

J

Good thinkun there, LongJohn- gee, why don't we just jack up ALL the St Louis teams with HGH?

You're almost as smart as Markie....

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments