'West Wing' Star Escapes Prison Problem

1/23/2010 2:03 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joshua Malina from "West Wing" won't have to live next door to prison inmates after all -- an L.A. County Fire Chief just put the kibosh on a community proposal to house convicts in his Malibu neighborhood.

As TMZ first reported ... Malina went ballistic last weekend after he found a flier on his mailbox, informing him that Malibu was considering a plan to house 80-100 inmates in a firehouse near his home.

After Malina complained to the powers that be, L.A. County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky sent him a letter on Tuesday saying the plan to house inmates in the neighborhood "defies common sense" and had been 86'd.

There was also an apology regarding "the manner in which this issue came to the attention of the community" ... as in, sorry about those fliers.

We're told the L.A. County Fire Chief ordered the Fire Department to look into an alternative.

libor

Way to go to bat for your kids, Mr. Malina. You've got my respect (and you're a terrific actor).

hardworkingtaxpayer

isnt this called NIMBY?

deek

What a whiny jerk. I hope there is a delay then building starts in his Republican-selfish-lily-white backyard.

JP

I love special people! I also love irony. I see one, maybe in the future, I'll see the other.

Darlene

Wouldnt want them near me either, good for him!!

Darlene

Good for him, wouldnt want them near me either!

emmasn

West Wing. Who watches this crap. And who the hell is Joshua Malina. WHO CARES.

RabbleRouser

The inmates used to fight fires are in general non-violent and model prisoners. I guess the people of Malibu don't believe in rehabilitation. While it's okay that these men risk their life's to save their homes, they certainly wouldn't condensed to speak to let alone live near them. That's okay, I say house the inmates miles and miles away then in the next wild fire outbreak when their homes burn to the ground they can still take comfort in knowing prisoners didn't live by them.

bart

The problem here is LA County is always bailing out Malibu when it comes to fires. They build homes where they should not be built and the taxes I pay help save them. It is time for the city of Malibu to share the risk of these inmates. The risk is very low and they are there to save their stupid big homes. I wish Malibu would be its own county and then LA would have nothing to due with them.

Vera Yell

The Macho Therapist.

eva

See Best Man Photo....

libor

The inmates on these crew don't fight fires. They help with brush clearance and clean-up. Those things are important, but Malina's right. There's no reason to put convicted felons in residential neighborhoods. There is not one single inmate camp in CA in a residential area.