'Pants on the Ground'

A Rip-Off?!

1/27/2010 10:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

"General" Larry Platt isn't the first person to sing about crooked hats and droopy pants -- and now a Michigan hip-hop duo is saying "Pants on the Ground" is a "take off" of a song they recorded back in 1996.

0127_pockets_youtube_video-1
The Green Brothers -- a rap group consisting of an elderly Platt-alike gentleman -- re-posted the music video for their song "Back Pockets on the Floor" this week -- and you're gonna be shocked at the similarity.

The group claims their lift-up-your-pants jam has "the same intent, idea and in part the same message" as the "American Idol" wannabeen's.

According to MyFoxDetroit, Gerald Green says the group "wishes Platt well" ... they just want their version heard too.

mike

why do so many losers on TMZ use the word retard? so wrong.

Jack

The Green Brothers' song sounds more like a public service announcement whereas General's song is actually a song. Close but, no cover song.

Snotsie

Geez, they can't even let the General have his day. Snaking off his song like that. It's not good or funny.

anotherfnday

Looks like the "General" got caught with his pants on the ground and his a$$ in a ringer!

L

WOW.... 1996 was a long time before 2010 American Idol?? Hmmmmm. Some investigation needs to be done - quickly.

L

Kenya

this song is long an boring. Many old people complain about baggy pants. Doesn't mean it's a rip-off.

TY

WOW I wrote a rap back in 1992 about my cars,my money and my hoes and like 1,000,000 people wrote a song about the same thing. Does that mean my crappy rap need to be heard also.

TMZfan62

Pratt's song is better. It's more catchy. I don't think that he ripped the tune off from the Green Brothers.

Shari

It's not as funny or catchy..

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Harvey, a "rap group?" Seriously? The guy even begins by saying he's not a rapper. No wonder you TMZ folk are stuck on here, you give journalist a bad name!!!

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Hmmm....same exact message, same beat, borderline same lyrics. I think Mr. Platt caught the Green Brothers online sometime ago and created his own version. Definitely a rip off.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

I figured the bloom would come off the rose sooner or later. Platt is a fraud. What else would you expect from a man wearing a shirt supporting a cop killer in Savannah?

pairodocks

This song is NOTHING like Gen. Platt's version. Just because the "subject" may be similar (and that's all it is) does not mean it's been ripped off. Many artists sing about the same things i.e. drugs, relationships, etc. Does that mean they're all rip offs of each other. Absolutely not! This song sounds nothing like Platt's song. People are trying to horn in on his 15 minutes and rip him off!

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

I wonder how long it'll be before the race dividers of Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson get to the Green Brothers and the General? Bill Cosby began this crusade a while back but has magically changed his tuned after the racebaiters and liberal media started attacking and smearing him. Sad that many in the black community still profit off keeping the youths dumb and ignorant.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Definitely a ripoff. Anybody that can't pick up on this is either lying or retarded

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments