Brittany Murphy Death - 'Preventable'

2/4/2010 3:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany Murphy's Cause of DeathSources involved in Brittany Murphy's autopsy tell TMZ her death was "preventable."

Sources say the primary causes of Murphy's death were pneumonia and severe anemia. L.A. County Coroner officials believe Brittany's condition was "treatable" but no one took her to the hospital in time.

As for the multiple drugs found in her system, we're told they were both prescription, including medicine for cramps, and over-the-counter medications, including cough syrup. Our sources say the drugs "pushed her over the line" but the underlying problems were the pneumonia and anemia.

In other words, Brittany was really sick, didn't get treatment and by self-medicating it pushed her over the line.

Brittany Murphy

gayle

Her mother AND her husband are to blame for this!!! What a bunch of stupid IDIOTS!!!!!

Miranda

Brittney died because the fat blob and slob of a husband of hers...as well as her own MOTHER...who BOTH lived in the house with Brittney did not call 911 or force her to see a doctor or an emergency room. NEGLECT. Neglected by her own mother and her own lousy HUSBAND..the two who are cashing in on the poor thing because they cannot earn their OWN MONEY...The husband is already soliciting "donations" on a website...which I am sure he will steal and pocket for himself....the mother and hubby are just a little TOOCLOSE if you ask me! They both should be investigated ASAP!

dr cyclops

another nobody is dead and in a week she will be forgotten and good riddance,,why should i care about some spoiled rich girl when she wouldnt ccare if i died..all you bleeding hearts go adopt a homesless person and show you truely care ya bunch of idiots

bablondie

That is so sad. My questions are, how could no one NOT notice that she has anemia? You are weak, tired, pale, gaunt, dark circles under the eyes, low energy, hair can fall out and so on. Routine checkups and labs would help, or why didn't someone push her to the doctor? I know that not everyone goes, I do know someone who was like that for 6 months and I kept insisting they see a doctor, finally went, got hospitalized and 7 blood transfusions (they let it go that far). Anemia can be genetic, or just because, you don't have to be sickly to get it (say heavy periods could do it, etc). I also don't know why when you can't breathe well, mucous, coughing, weakness, etc, wouldn't go to a doctor for Pnuemonia. This is sad and could've been prevented. Sooo sad! : (

disturbed

12. When someone is always jacked up on some kind of med, it's hard to tell when they are really sick....because they always seem sick (high). Don't blame those around her for what she voluntarily did to herself.

Posted at 12:50PM on Feb 4th 2010 by keep it real
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I agree. I feel bad for B. Murphy and about the whole situation.
She was not a 12 year old child or anything. She was an adult.
Not only did she not seek medical treatment for her pneumonia, but, as stated in this post, the coroner's office reported that the drugs she took put her over the edge and killed her.

bablondie

Let me say, that my kids and myself all get anemia on and off, we pop iron pills, use a cast-iron pan and eat really healthy (tons of spinach), we don't eat a lot of red meat, but are trying to eat more buffalo. We are not unhealthy by any means, sometimes it just happens (genetics or what have you). Or someone I knew who had multiple blood transfusions for anemia, it was heavy periods (but of course anyone should know if you have heavy periods, you need to see a doc).

You cannot force people to go to a doc, you can only try. The person I know, I tried to push for 6 months to see a doc, until they were so weak, they finally went. She was an adult and makes her own decisions, I really wish it would've been one where she picked up the phone and called a doc or the hospital. Could've saved her life. So tragic.

heather

You people going on and on about the mum and husband are freaking idiots. I'm talking like, red-neck, no-nothing morons. People self-medicated ALL the time. Every, single day. People beg their SOs to go to the Docs and they don't b/c, after all, they are adults and in charge of their own lives.

There's no reason anyone would would think she'd die. As far as you brain-dead "holier than thou" tards know - they begged her to go to the hospital but she balked b/c she didn't want to deal with the god damned press that it would generate.

Dumb asses.

bablondie

This is so scary to think about.

One time I had thyroid issues, a doc put me on TOO HIGH of thyroid med and sent me SUPER hyperthyroid (heart racing, dizziness, hyperactivity was happening, but I didn't realize that it was too much meds he gave me). And then I got a sinus infection, drank some soda (caffeine) and it was a 95 degree day. I also took medicine for my sinuses (for the infection) and that sent me to the ER. I was dizzy and heart palpitations/racing. I cannot believe it. You cannot take sinus medicine with a thyroid condition, and I did not know I even had. Scary to think about I could've pushed myself over the edge, but now I know better! RIP Brittany.

deez s

At least there is closure now it wasnt an od but if she only would have went to the dr her and casey johnsons death could have been prevented so sad so young rest in peace

Jake

Um its called MURDER!!! Her husband and Mother can't be complete idiots, they should've known she was in need of a Doctor and took her to the hospital..disgusting human beings..I hope they get charged, they just want her money anyway, sad sad.

bsb fan

I guess Simon Monjack should sue himself for wrongful death instead of Warner Bros.

Didn't he or her mother notice she was really ill? Why didn't they take her to the hospital!!!

Tucker

Despite all the drugs found in the house, and getting fired off of movies for being incoherent and problematic, the mother and husband claimed she wouldn't even take an aspirin, let alone stronger drugs. Yeah - ok. Bet they will both regret their enabling actions when they realize they have to pay their own bills now. What a waste - the poor girl didn't have anyone looking out for her. Rest in peace, Brit.

bsb fan

Anemia Definition from MayoClinic.com
Anemia is a condition in which you don't have enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your tissues. If you have anemia, you probably feel tired a lot.

There are many forms of anemia, each with its own cause. Anemia can be temporary or long term, and it can range from mild to severe.

See your doctor if you suspect you have anemia, because anemia can be a sign of serious illnesses. Treatments for anemia range from taking supplements to undergoing medical procedures. You may be able to prevent some types of anemia by eating a healthy, varied diet

hateliars

Pneumonia kills thousands. Unfortunately, her husband can't blame warner bros. for giving her pneumonia. Getting fired/never getting the part for happy feet 2 (what ever story is true/not true) did not give her pneumonia. The 2 combined, YOU CAN NOT blame anyone. She was probably seen as tired, depressed. Her mother, maybe even her husband, thought it was because of the lack of roles. Even though they are lashing out, stupidly, they both are probably feeling enormous guilt

Josie

#10 comment by OhWell cannot even spell anemia and thinks that it is a STD???? Go get an education! She was not high or a drug addict....she was self-medicating like we all do when we have a cold.