Tyler Perry

Sued Over a Song

About The Devil

2/4/2010 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0204_tyler_perry_ex_tmz_01-2Tyler Perry is facing one hell of a lawsuit -- dude's accused of using a Gospel song on his show "Meet the Browns" without forking over any green to the guy behind the music.

It's all over a 2009 episode of the show, in which several characters sang the words, "The Devil thought he had me ... but I got away."

According to a new lawsuit filed Wednesday in federal court in Los Angeles, a songwriter named Johnny Tyrone Stringfield claims those lyrics came from his song, "I Got Away" -- a song which he copyrighted back in 2008.

Now, Stringfield claims Perry -- and the companies behind the show -- owe him more than $100,000 to make things right.

Calls to Perry's people have not been returned.

Sasher

Go Tyler,

Yes, the time is not now to make the money for it will come soomer or late. Don't waorry if the time is not now. All will be on the time to go. Big Fan always.

man

Why they hating on Tyler http://gochitchat.com

loves tyler p

well that cant be true bc whem i was in highschool 2001-2005 there was another song that my mom sang at church thats says the same thing...just another person trying to get sumthing for nuthing

Chris

This is NOT the first time that Tyler Perry has ripped off staff and writers. He is constantly ripping off musicians, songs, script writers, not paying for over time. I always avoid anything that starts with Tyler Perry presents and my life is better for it. He's just a thief who found his success on the backs of minorities.

T

tyler is clearly a gay guy in the closet
when hes rich enough to not care,he will come out

msgirl

If he has the copy rights to the song, and Tyler used it without his permission. Its only right,there are still procedures to go through regardless of the persons status.

Marla

ok, the show aired in 2009 but was shot long before that...so if it was shot before the copyright then Tyler Perry should be ok, right? Plus, there is a church song that is very close to that also, so it could have come from there...don't think it came from this other guy...

If the man wrote the song and he's got the copyrights then that's all that matters,so yall can shut up and just tell Tyler to Pay the man and move on.

Atlgb

"The Devil Thought He Had Me" has been a lyric in Black church praise songs that go back GENERATIONS. That's like suing for using the lyricsinging "Yes Jesus Loves Me Cause The Bible Tells Me So". Google the phrase and over 60,000 hits come up. This is a laughably frivolous lawsuit, and I hope Tyler Perry files a countersuit to get back the money he will have to waste in lawyer's fees defending this nonsense.

Vonn

@ T I couldn't agree more, This man is gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Good luck getting money from this suit.

Kimberly

Isn't that guy afraid of being struck by lightening trying to sue someone over a phrase out of a Christian song? Aren't you supposed to help get the Word out instead of suing someone for using it? Wooooooooooow, people amaze me over money!!

lola

pls 100,000 tyler might as well throw him that buck . Hes worth millions i would just give it to that man and tell him to f*$K off

Big Dork

I'm confused.

Wouldn't this mean that at one point, someone actually had to watch that celluloid abomination of a show?

honesty

I saw a play of Tyler's which was at least 2005 or before, and it had that phrase in it.
People are greedy.
It is a shame when the greediest people happen to be Christians.

Vanessa Kaye

Man knowing Tyler Perry its probally and OLD CHURCH SONG lol. Now before Meet the Browns a Play entitled Why Did I Get Married that was back in 2006...let me rephrase that it came out, I mean in 2006 I don't know when it was recorded but WAY BEFORE some little 2008. So thats some evidence right there for that @$$. Fall Back and try to get some money off another Celebrity He's not the one!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments