Will & Jada Sue

Don't Blame Us for Bad Movie

2/5/2010 7:13 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Will Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett-Smith claim they're not to blame for a movie that made absolutely no money -- even though Jada wrote the script.

0205_will_jada_smith_ex-1

It's all over a movie you'll probably never see called "Human Contract" -- which Jada wrote in 2007.

In legal papers filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, the couple claims the guy who financed the movie is threatening to sue them because he believes Will and Jada "guaranteed" a return on an investment to get him on board. Will and Jada claim they "made no such representations."

Long story short -- the movie went straight-to-DVD and Will and Jada admit, "it is unlikely that it will ever make a profit."

Will and Jada aren't going after the investor for money -- but they want a judge to declare that they are not liable for the investor's lost cash.

In the meantime, the movie had some serious star-power -- Ted Danson, Idris Elba and even Jada herself.

Too bad no one ever saw it.

UPDATE
: TMZ spoke to a rep for the couple who told us, "Although we normally shun this type of controversy, we felt compelled to respond to the baseless threats and absurd allegations put forth by Mr. Grasso's counsel."

UPDATE #2: TMZ spoke with the investor, David Grasso, who told us, "I am disappointed that my perception of the Smiths was so off base. I am shocked that they would use the courts to try to intimidate."

Grasso added, "I sincerely look forward to the truth being revealed and remain optimistic that we will be able to resolve our differences amicably."

Wanda Rocked

If the script were any good, a real studio would have bought in the first place. So it sounds to me like they tried to con some guy to finance a movie which would probably return huge gross points to the writer, director and producer(s) who just happen to be.......shady.

ralphie the one-eyed

It has a cool movie poster. I it have on my laptops wallpaper.
No foolin' !

ralphie the one-eyed

I be dislexic.

It has a cool movie poster. I have it on my laptop's wallpaper.
No foolin' !

ralphie the one-eyed

I'd like to Paz her Vega !!

(Paz Vega is a star in the movie)
* giggle *

Tinkerbell

The la county superior court is sure a busy place, it is now where all the stars hang out

Jennifer Bouldack

I have always been a fan of Will Smith's. I think he is a good guy with basically a good heart.

However, I don't like nor trust Jada at all. She is the one who thinks she is entitled. She is the one who thinks she and Will are royalty. I think Will is just enjoying making a living and helping where he can.

The sad part is - it is clear he is completely under her thumb. She is running that family and he is stepping and fetching when she says it is to be.

I don't hope for the demise of a family, so I won't hope for him to dump her. I do hope, however, that she will be humbled by whatever means necessary (short of her children being harmed) and he will grow a pair so they can become more useful and tolerable.

Aida

I did IN FACT see this movie at a private screening and it SUCKED!!! And I mean BADLY! I have never seen a more awful film and there are lots of bad ones out there. It just didnt make sense. The only reason it got made is cause Jada is married to Will because I can't imagine the script was any good. It didnt make sense and the casting was laughable. Jada's brother in the film was... well lets just say none of it made ANY SENSE! The female lead was a Penelope Cruz clone and the lead actor was supposed to be sexy! It was just plain ridiculous and Jada should stick to being Mrs. Smith PERIOD!

ic

anytime you join the church Of Tom Cruise and you stop following the strict orders everything seems to happen...its a shame how nothing has been happening to them...I remember hearing Katie Cruise ran a marathon when she joined then JLO ran a marathon when she joined and all of a sudden your career goes in the toilet I guess its part of the brain washing....I think they were forced to open a school...and nothing has been happening for them also....look at some of the followers.......all marching to the same song and very clanish...

tom

I do not get where poster 14 is coming from. Why would they give the guy his money back! Investors take risk. That is why you get investors and save your own money. If the Smiths had a lot of confidence in this movie they would and probably should have paid for it themselves. Most people making movies look for investors and do not risk their own money on a long shot. Despite what ever is being said to entice an investor any wise investor would understand the risk that they are getting involved in. If they do not understand than they are just stupid. Some investors in movies know that they will lose money from time to time but invest anyway to work with Hollywood types.

daroboom

Jada Pinkett is just plain not talented.

She's tried every medium, every genre, and she just can't hit, unless in an ensemble.

Why can't she just give it up and be a wife and mother? It was the luckiest day in her life that she met Smith, otherwise she would just be one of us nobodies.

lindagrafix

To those who say that Will and Jada "think" they are Hollywood Royalty. It's funny, because how do you know what Will and Jada think? Are you inside their head? Actually, Will Smith is Hollywood Royalty! He is the highest paid and highest grossing actor of all time! And that cannot be denied! They are also very gracious and giving people. So anyone who does not like this couple has a serious problem, such as, jealousy, hater problems, racism, whatever. You are CRAZY!

lindagrafix

It's business! When a movie fails at the box office, no one gets their money back. It's a lost, hence- it's business!

THE CHILDREN ARE NOT BEING PROPERLY SUPERVISED...PERIOD!

The guy is an idiot, ALL OF YOU WHO THINK JUST BECAUSE SOMEBODY IS FAMOUS DOES NOT MEAN THEY CAN MAKE YOU MONEY, OR THAT THEIR OPINIONS ABOUT MAKING MONEY IS BETTER THAN YOURS.

WILL AND JADA MOST LIKELY DID TELL THE GUY HE'LL MAKE MONEY, THATS WHAT PEOPLE WITH HUGE EGOS DO!

Bring 'Em Young

Alot of guys' wives' try a little too hard especially when the husband is the main attraction, but I like these two. I forgot about the Scientology thing though.

emerald

The poor investor probably assumed that with Will Smith on board the film itself would cash in as most of his do! Pity he didn't realise Jada Pinkett isn't gold, merely the wife of a talented man who knows what scripts to choose - he must have caved into the wife's wants this time, big mistake!!
Since the investor puts up millions for a film to be made (everyone from film crew to stars etc have to be paid etc), and Jada herself admits it will probably never make a profit she most likely knew that befor making the film, if you want to make a movie that badly for love of it you use your own money Jada or Will's - it's not as if he's broke now is it hm?! Other movie legends have made films they wanted to that bummed out at the box office but a lot of them used their own money as investment and their name as guarantor! In this day and age more movies are never making it to screen but going straight to DVD - the guy got taken but in the movie world you need to make your contract airtight, if he doesn't have it in writing that this was a guaranteed investment he's stuffed!! If Will and Jada wanted to make this go away they could pay him off, not his full investment but some sort of settlement otherwise it quite honestly should be a warning to other investors not to get involved with anything of Jada Pinkett's again even if Will Smith is on board!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments