Sean Penn

Charged With Crimes

2/19/2010 8:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sean Penn was charged with criminal battery and vandalism today, in connection with a run-in with the paparazzi ... TMZ has learned.

0219_penn_tmz_video-1
The incident occurred last October in Brentwood, CA. TMZ captured the confrontation as an angry Penn approached and kicked a paparazzo, allegedly breaking his camera.

We've learned the Los Angeles City Attorney filed two misdemeanor counts -- battery and vandalism.

If convicted on both counts, Penn could go to jail for 1 1/2 years.

Penn's rep could not immediately be reached for comment.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Hell, I'd love to be a pap for a day. I'd do it for free as long as I was assigned to cover this Communist skidmark. I'd pray he'd come after me. Someone needs to shove his head up his own ass.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

He should go to prison for aiding and abetting terrorists with his propaganda and insanity.

I selpt with John Edwards, too!!!!!

Why didn't the fotog whoop his hobbit ass????

buzzard

Way To Go, Sean!

80's Gal

While I don't condone paparazzi getting in the faces of celebrities (and there needs to be laws on the books regarding this), that doesn't condone assaulting someone. Sean should be charged.

ginny

bs, leave people alone, the photog should get his camera broken if he cannot stay far enough away.

g

Zach Swan

This should not be illegal. The paparazzi are mostly a bunch of intrusive thugs. Ordinarily, I don't think much of Sean Penn. After this, I like him a little bit.

Caring Kate

Looks like pap was in the wrong here. He put his camera in Penn's face and then blocked Penn's path. Hope the judge fines the pap. Hey paps! Don't let a handful of extremely offensive paps ruin the business for you! Support pap fines and/or arrests where warranted.

MeanJoe

Man! I wish i was there I'd had Sean's back and proceeded to give the guy filming a A@# Whooping his children would feel for a year.

Tim

I love S.P.

Tim

He will never change...and I'm glad!!

Hep

Every time I take my trash to the curb while wearing my ratty old robe, I breathe a silent prayer thanking God for not making me a celebrity.

"Regular" people can not have their photos published without permission. Why can they publish celebrity photos just because they happen to be the flavor of the day?

samper

Am I the only one who bothered to watch the video? Because it doesn't show the pap in his face. He was quite some distance from Penn, who had to HIKE over to him to be Mr. Tuff Guy. And he continues to assault the pap, even as the pap is backing away.

Penn should have the book thrown at him for assault.

Bonbon

Paparazzi should know to stay away from him he is insane and might do something worse next time, Penn is a hateful angry man, notice he never smiles or laughs, plus he's a drunk.

Tim

He should get a medal. I blame the police for letting this kind of harrassment continue.