The 'Lost' Diary -- Lighthouse

2/24/2010 8:19 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

LostWelcome back to another edition of The "Lost" Diary.

I judge people based on the TV shows they watch. For example: I met a girl at a bar last night. Extremely attractive, at one point she became infinitely more attractive when she told me she loved "The Wire" and couldn't wait to get home to watch "Lost." Had those two shows been replaced by "Law & Order" and some reality show on VH1, I probably wouldn't have liked her as much as I did. TVGuide.com should start a personals section -- I'd be all over it.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I am watching this Wednesday morning because of the above-mentioned social engagement and my kitchen flooding, which was awesome. Let's roll ...

9:00 -- Watching the "Previously on 'Lost'" makes me realize: I REALLY WANT TO SEE CHRISTIAN TONIGHT.

9:01 -- Jack doesn't remember having his appendix out. Odd, right?

9:02 -- Jack has a son that inherited his hair. That's even odder.

9:03 -- "I could eat." -- Hurley. Not odd.

9:04 -- When Jacob told Hurley that "someone is coming to the island," every hair on my arms stood up. Liking where this is going.

9:07 -- Jack and his son don't seem to have a good relationship. Is "who is the mother of Jack's son?" gonna be the big reveal?

9:09 -- Claire seems totally normal except for the fact she doesn't bathe and is now Rousseau 2.0.

9:11 -- "I'm a big fan of temples and history and Indiana Jones stuff." -- Hurley

9:12 -- I have come to the conclusion that every scene not involving Hurley and Jacob is going to suck tonight. I hope I am wrong.

9:13 -- "He's dead, turns up wherever he wants ... like Obi-Wan Kenobi." -- Hurley

9:18 -- So Claire is crazy, and she thinks The Others have her kid.

9:19 -- "I'm not by myself." -- Claire. Christian, perhaps?

9:20 -- "Jack (laughing), I almost shot you." -- Kate. Oh, so hysterical.

9:23 -- A lot of boring talk between Jack and his mom leading up to the Claire revelation. Again, more Jacob, please!

9:24 -- So Claire is nuts, but she's only kinda nuts cause she thinks The Others have her kid. Sound familiar? Rousseau 2.0, for sure.

9:25 -- So Christian is still on the island poking around, but who is Claire's "friend"? Jacob?

9:26 -- If a crazy woman asks you if you are still her friend, you always say YES. Jin is no fool.

9:30 -- Jack and Hurley found Shannon's inhaler and the caves.

9:31 -- "What if these skeletons are us?" -- Hurley

9:32 -- "Because he wasn't in it." -- Jack

9:33 -- Jack's son has gone MIA. When a guy says "Whatever I did, I'm sorry" -- that's usually reserved for a woman.

9:34 -- "Very old school. You and me, trekking through the jungle to do something we don't understand. Very old school." -- Hurley

9:35 -- "I was broken. And I was stupid enough to think this place could fix me." -- Jack

9:36 -- Jack is amazed they've never seen the lighthouse before -- AND SO AM I.

9:37 -- "Kate took Aaron." -- Jin

9:38 -- Despite all the evidence, Claire still hacked that guy in the stomach with an ax. So, yeah ... she's nuts.

9:42 -- I've always wanted to kick open a jammed door.

9:43 -- So Jack's kid can really play the piano -- do we know of anyone he may have inherited that from?

9:44 -- "I don't know." -- Jack to Dogen. That had to hurt.

9:45 -- I paused the TV as Hurley made the mirrors move around, and there are names crossed out at each degree. "Linus" is one of them, and it appears "Wallace" is at 108 -- but that's crossed out too.

9:46 -- Jack found his name on the wheel and is turning the lighthouse to that number.

9:47 -- "It's the house I grew up in ... He's been watching us the whole time." -- Jack

9:48 -- If you want answers, try not breaking the magic mirrors. Just saying.

9:53 -- Scene where stereotypical father/son issues get resolved.

9:57 -- "I had to get you and Jack as far away from that temple as I could ... because someone is coming there. Someone bad." -- Jacob

9:58 -- Now Jin has decided the correct course of action is to lie to a crazy person. I do not agree.

9:59 -- "Am I interrupting?" -- Not Locke. This must be the bad man headed to the temple.

10:00 -- "That's not John, this is my friend." -- Claire

People complain about "Lost" all the time, but there is really only one time where "Lost" really annoys me -- when you know nothing in the middle really matters and they are just setting you up for the last 10 minutes.

Those last 10 minutes are cool, but parts in the middle really blow.

So the question becomes, is the end worth the middle? In this case, I vote ... maybe a little.

(By the way, this same theory works when judging women in the crazy/hot debate. You can deal with a crazy woman so long as she's hot ... but at some point the crazy outweighs the hot. See: Jolie, Angelina)

I give this episode a C-. I am willing to accept that this episode is a bridge to another episode, but on its own I found it more frustrating that anything. But I loved the Hurley/Jacob stuff, so that kinda saved it.

Cynnie

I believe the flash sideways are what would have happened if they had denoted that bomb in 1976...what their lives would have been like. This explains how John is still on good terms with his dad, how Jack has a son, and why Desmond was on the plane. They changed the future in several ways, not just "what would have happened if the plane crash" but what would have happened if no one ever had to press that stupid button. The losties are now trapped on the island, lost in time, sort of speak. BTW I feel like the losties are now becoming "the others". Could you imagine if another planed crashed on the island...how would the new losties react to the seasoned losties!
p.s. Lost---answer some questions already!

Money Maker

I give it a solid A-. But it's an "A"

With that said, anyone know what the Japanese dude said, I speak a little Japanese but he spoke to fast. :(

alli

Jack plays the piano, in the episode before his wedding he's playing a piano in the hotel

Mick

Okay, Claire is definitely crazy, but I didn't feel putting the ax in that guy was so off base in terms of where he stood in the situation. Hello, the guy asked Jin to untie him so he could snap Claire's neck when she came back in...obviously b/c she is "infected" and dangerous, but still, Claire isn't stupid. Did you expect her to believe his promise to not say a word, not tell anyone, etc? They've been shooting at her for three years. I'm not saying her actions were okay, but her actions were based on her knowing the cold hard fact that if she didn't kill him, he was going to kill her.

Michelle in Clwtr

MIGHTYMAD-STOP TALKING DOWN TO PEOPLE! You do not need to speak so angrily and and with such superiority. You make the rest of us skip your posts. Douche.

MrsJoe

Another interesting tidbit is the last set of instructions Jacob provides to Hurley, which is lining up the wheel to number 108. Add up the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 and you get - 108, just like the button had to be pushed every 108 minutes.

Ms Ali

Excellent detective work, Mrs. Joe! Bravo!

I think the mother of Jack's son is Kate. It's all in the eyes, you see...

sickboy

Someone asked for a translation:

Dogen: "You're lucky that I have to protect you. Otherwise I'd have cut your head off"

Kate

Just a couple of things my friend mentioned to me last night.

1st - When Jack asks his kid what he's listening to and the boy says Jack wouldn't have heard of them, I'd bet money he was listening to Driveshaft.

2nd - The discovery of Shannon's inhaler was an inside joke for people who attended last year's San Diego Comic Con. During the LOST panel, Jorge Garcia asked the writers if they'd be answering ALL the questions, "Like, in season one 'Confidence Man', Sayid tortures Sawyer to get Shannon's inhaler, right, but Sawyer didn't have the inhaler. So, like, what happened to the inhaler, man?"

It's in this video, around the 1:30 mark.

So anyway, it was kind of fun that they included that in the show.

Lauren B

David's mom is probably Sarah, Jack's ex-wife... no?

billly

"If you looked closely, remember last week, Kate's name was not shown on the cave ceiling? 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 corresponded with Locke(4), Hurley(8), Sawyer(15), Sayid(16), Jack(23), and Sun/Jin(42). BUT this week- On Jacob's lighthouse wheel is 51-Austen, as in Kate! Hmmmm......51, that's new.
And has anyone noticed Jack Shephard's number, 23, is reminiscent of Psalm 23: "The Lord is my Shepherd?""

---------------------------------------

-It was also the 108th episode of Lost!

alanna

I loved this episode. The only thing that bothered me was that Jack's
son had an answering machine. I don't know of any teenager who has
one.

Also it's interesting about the appendix considering a couple of
season's ago there's an episode where juliet has to remove Jack's
appendix. Seems like an odd thing to change.

Carrie

So, Not Locke goes down to a dark cave on a cliff... Jacob leads his flock to the lighthouse up hign on a cliff... Jacob uses Hurley to speak and carry out tasks, Jack is frustrated that he can't see or hear jacob, but that Jacob has some sort of plan for him... Bring on the war between Good and Evil - I don't know the bible but this sure does seem an awful lot like a battle of biblical proportions is coming!

jdip

Did anyone notice in the lighthouse everyone's name who was crossed out was done in pencil and the remaining "players" are carved in?

marge

So wait, is there still a time difference on the island? Are some people still in the present and some in the past? Who is where???

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments