« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Admiral Ackbar Ignites Backlash at Ole Miss

2/28/2010 2:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Admiral Ackbar is causing a serious disturbance in the force at Ole Miss -- where several Rebel fans are threatening to abandon the school if the alien leader becomes the new mascot.

The masterminds behind the Admiral Ackbar mascot campaign tell TMZ they've been contacted by angry students, threatening to transfer if the legendary rebel shot caller is voted to become the new face of Ole Miss.

The group has even received complaints from the parents of current students and prospective students -- with some even threatening to "never send their kids to Ole Miss" if the Admiral wins out.

As we previously reported, the school recently voted to bring in a new mascot to replace the old, controversial rebel mascot ... and Ackbar has emerged as an early favorite.

Still no word on when an official decision will be made.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jethrow

FFFFFFOOOOOOIIIIISSSST Ya'll...

justSAYIN

Ole Miss doesn't deserve someone of Admiral Ackbars stature.

JLS

I didn't even know what Admiral Ackbar OR Ole Miss was! Then I looked it up. Who cares? Sheesh. Must be a slow news day today.

Daniel W.

IT'S A TRAP!!!

Carl

Silly me, I thought people would choose what college to attend based on how good of an education you could get there. I guess it is really the school mascot that lands you the good jobs.

Having a weird mascot hasn't hurt the Univ. of California Santa Cruz. Go Banana Slugs!

C'mon TMZ

Why the hell are they so worried about a mascot?! Idiots!

skimps macgee

I don't even understand the question. Is this something I should be worried about? I am thinking no, so I will make some pancakes and practice my golf swing.

Jake

This proves the ignorance of our national colleges and the students etal. To think these are the people who PLAN to lead our nation one day makes me puke.

Rickie K

I think It's crazy. It's awful to look at. Bring back the real Old Miss Rebel. He belongs on the football field.

Bash a Pap

This is so typical for Mississippi. They care more about mascots than the quality of their children's education. Once again proving why Mississippi remains at the bottom of the educational barrel in this country.

jfp

That school is full of snobs and racists. I can tell you that its a fact that they see the SW character as another hidden racial insult.

Darlene

WHATS WRONG WITH IT???!!!

markko

Silly old redneck racists. When I went to university, it was the education the I cared about, not the silly mascot that the school had.

jfp

Here is something I can tell you about Mississippi. Basically there are three types/groups of people.
1st would be the snobs and racists like the ones at Ole Miss. They run the political offices statewide,and they run the church’s, business’s, etc. They act like snobs because they think they own everything and pretty much do.
2nd would be the blacks that for the most part see all whites as group 1 above. When they meet whites that seem kind and friendly they see them as BS artists from group one.
3rd group is made up of whites that don’t have a racist bone in their body but they are seldom recognized by the other groups because in a bizarre twist they are judged by the color of their skin.
This is somewhat over simplified but nevertheless true.

jfp

If you must go to a school in Ms then go to Ms State. Its a better university and where the group 2 and 3 kids go.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments