Michael Jackson Estate

Inks Record,

Record Deal

3/16/2010 9:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0630_mj_exd_tmz_06-1TMZ has confirmed the Michael Jackson estate has signed the biggest deal ever in music -- worth up to $250 million with a guarantee of $200 million.

The estate made the deal with Sony Music Entertainment -- the contract is for 10 projects over seven years.

One album will debut in November, which contains never-before released recordings. We're told Jackson left enough material for at least three albums of fresh material.

A source tells TMZ the royalty rate on foreign sales is the key to the deal -- and 2/3 of the sales of MJ records traditionally have been outside the U.S.

And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017.

The deal has nothing to do with The Beatles' catalog -- it's all about MJ original recordings.

The agreement was brokered by John Branca and John McClain, executors of the MJ estate.

Loulou

That's why he was killed...Sony was out the door,as far as MJ was concerned;but not so fast,not so fast...I guess that also means there is now a new multimillionaire doc on the block.MJ is turning in his grave right now.

buttocks

Did he died!?!?!?

Chico

Loulou

Great! new music for the fans, opportunities to keep MJ's legacy going strong, future earnings for MJ3, the estate cabable of paying down the debt = win, win, win

WTG Team Branca!

Posted at 11:19PM on Mar 15th 2010 by mjjfan50

I guess you and others are really missing the point.MJ is dead,and it certainly wasn't by natural causes.Wake up sheeple!

MarCanada

I only wish MJ were alive to release more of his unsurpassed music. It's sad he never got to show everyone that he still ruled the world of music, with his death before his historic This is It tour. I've played This is It the movie four times since I've gotten it on DVD, and watched it in the theatre twice. With all the schlocky music out there, I would listen to even original MJ tunes compared to anything today. I want so much to hear the creative sounds he was putting together before his awful passing - but will feel sad and empty he is not here to bring true life to his music to the world. MISS YOU MJ. CONRAD WILL PAY!

sicko Lambert

Goodness it is almost like a credit card...your head is numbered...no wonder why they call it "interest"

MJ's PYT Superfly Sista

i'm not sure if Michael would have wanted to be signed on Sony.
is Mr. Branca working for Tommy Mottola or the MJ estate?

esteepttrsn

27. Oh wow....big surprise....SONY is involved. Biggest deal ever in music FOR WHOM....so the estate gets the $200 million? And does Branca et al get 10% of that? That's 20 mil off the top...we're down to $180. Saw an ad on here today for SONY...with images of Hendrix...with a headline that says "Dare to Dream". Yeah SONY, dare to dream about how many millions if not billions you're gonna make off MJ after you treated him like sh!t. SONY SUX.

no branca and Mcclain excluded MJ music from their 10%

Duh

31. New Picture
& Even Uglier

Yecch!

Posted at 11:34PM on Mar 15th 2010 by OhWell

Hey - I think there has been a misunderstanding. If not tell me so and I will leave you alone. I got a couple of hate messages from you, and then someone told me later you had been cloned. If that is true I apologize for snubbing you. Either way answer this quick please before a clone gets ahold of it. I wish I had a way to know it was really you but you are easy to clone. I hope it was not you because I have kind of missed my little buddy.

markko

I can't believe TMZ is still talking about a dead guy that wasn't circmsized the way civilized American men are.

Daphne Lorincz

The deal was brokered by John Branca and John McClain, executors of the MJ estate.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/category/michael-jackson/#ixzz0iJ6sOFGi

Does anyone know what this mean " 2 yr extension for the right to distribute the MJ catalog".

WillOTheWisp

Posted at 11:31PM on Mar 15th 2010 by stupidity abounds

I'll say it again, Jordan:

Touché !!! One is dead only when there is no mention of one’s name, and the memories of that one have long faded away!! Therefore, Michael LIVES!!! Yeaaaaaa!!!!!

R-Uchitel

It's better than nothing, at least it'll pay off some of MJ's debt. I think MJ made a wise choice naming Branca and Mclain as his executives they surely know how to make money. Hope MJ's estate will oneday be debt free.

murray

I Love MICHAEL JACKSON and HIS music!!!
Can't wait!!!!!!!!

Loulou

I'll say it again, Jordan:

Posted at 11:40PM on Mar 15th 2010 by WillOTheWisp

Tell that to his kids mfker!