'American Idol' Front-Runner Almost Quit

4/16/2010 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned "American Idol" contestant Crystal Bowersox threw in the towel a little more than two weeks ago and was walking off the show, when Ryan Seacrest did some fast-talking and changed her mind.

cystal bowersox and ryan seacrest
It went down in a parking lot after an "A.I." show.  In front of several people, Crystal told Ryan she couldn't handle the competition.... she said she hated the attention and said to Seacrest, "What's the point?"

Crystal said she was going back to Ohio to be with her family, whom she missed terribly.

Ryan told Crystal that being on "Idol" was like starting a business, and if she won she'd get a recording contract and become a millionaire.

Seacrest sealed the deal by telling her, "The greatest thing I ever did was make enough money so I could buy my mom a house.  You can buy your mom a house."

Seacrest out ... Crystal, not out.

Cassie

Crystal will not win-
Well i take that back, the way idol is going this year my tolite paper has a better chance of winning.
I love american idol but it is just awful this year.
They have practually gottin rid of anyone that was even decent to win. The only one's left that are even worth listening to are Lee and Aaron. God help idol if they happen to get rid of them too, Cause there so done with.
Poor Tim would have made a freaken hit, and probablly still will, but for some reason this year idol is looking for a duck sucker!
All i have left to say is if idol keeps this up, they better be ready for the show to end soon, cause there's not going to be anyone left to watch the it!

(Use to be true idol fan!) -Out:)

JO

You know what? Cristal IS going to win!!!...and you know why?..BECAUSE SHE IS THE BEST !!!BY FAR MAN!

Ruth

This one is for smooch, you really had some selfish comments, about wasting your time and everyone elses time. She does not need your vote,and let me tell you, I give her credit for putting her family first(especially her son)and missing them and wanting to get home. Remember she has a serious problem with diabetes. Maybe she was not feeling well. So really lighten up.

Sandy Dyer

I know Crystal will win because:
1. She is true to herself and doesn't let others tell her who she is and how to sing.
2. She sings from her heart not her mind.
3. Most of all she knows her music and which songs to sing and how to sing them.
4. She isn't a phoney and isn't trying to be better than anyone else because she is better.
5. I am glad Casey James was in the bottom three, although I really like him, he had a little pride to get rid of. I truly think it will come down to this three: Crystal, Casey & Lee.

CAT

Crystal is the best! and shut up about her hair and teeth! She has dreads people, that's what they look like! Madona didn't fix her football field of a gap, and for good reason. When you change the order of your teeth, it changes the way you sound!

They are not rotted either. She is missing one tooth on the side. They are not as white as they could be, but hey, no one is perfect. That is what's wrong with America now. Worring about superficial crap when she is the only REAL talent on the show.

And to those talking about how she only sings in one way, have you listened to her when they sing as a group. She sounds completely different. Therefore she is no "one-trick" poney.

If she doesn't win, it is only bc the superficial jerks that are too worried about how she looks.

CAT

CRYSTAL...................you go gurl!

Sandy Dyer

I agree with item #219-Posted at 10:48 PM on Apr 23, 2010 by CAT

Crystal is the only one with any talent that is true!

barbara kiefner

crystal, it is alot of pressure just watching the show,i can't imagine being there! wow, you are so naturally blessed, talented ,beautiful and yourself. Please don't quitthey already dumped some good people. your the last of the women show em what ya got girl!! you got it!!!!!!!!!! if you didn't win the contest ,you are still likely to get a contract. It hurts real bad being away from those you love,but nothing good comes easy. god bless. bk st. pete,fl.

barbara kiefner

Dean

CRYSTAL IS PREGNANT!!! THIS IS GOING TO BE THE RATINGS SPIKE IDOL IS LOOKING FOR!!!

And it will ruin her votes with the bible beaters, setting up a win for Lee DeWyze.

Dean

Lee DeWyze has two albums he recorded before Idol, look for them to hit the charts soon, I found them in Wal Mart.

jb

This is old news and I believe Crystal tells a very different version of this story.

She is my favorite contestant and has been from day 1 and I hope she goes far.

She has a great voice, great stage presence and from all accounts would be a great role model for her young fans.

brenda

i really hope crystal wins it all i think she deserves it she has a great voice good luck crysyal

Deb

I also like Ryan Ed,I think he kinda makes the show,other than the contestants.I can't think of anyone else that could do a better job.

Bob Graham

Ryan , you did the right thing and one day she will thank you.. She needs to keep her head on right or she will fail.