'American Idol' Front-Runner Almost Quit

4/16/2010 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned "American Idol" contestant Crystal Bowersox threw in the towel a little more than two weeks ago and was walking off the show, when Ryan Seacrest did some fast-talking and changed her mind.

cystal bowersox and ryan seacrest
It went down in a parking lot after an "A.I." show.  In front of several people, Crystal told Ryan she couldn't handle the competition.... she said she hated the attention and said to Seacrest, "What's the point?"

Crystal said she was going back to Ohio to be with her family, whom she missed terribly.

Ryan told Crystal that being on "Idol" was like starting a business, and if she won she'd get a recording contract and become a millionaire.

Seacrest sealed the deal by telling her, "The greatest thing I ever did was make enough money so I could buy my mom a house.  You can buy your mom a house."

Seacrest out ... Crystal, not out.

GGsWorld

Shame on some of you people! Isn't Ai about finding a talented singer?? When did it become about how someone looks,the background they come from, or their hygiene? So what if Crystal has dreadlocks and flipflops? You do NOT have the right to judge her for the cir***stances that she came from either! She is incredibly talented. Everybody, including YOU people who have appointed yourselves her judge, have breaking points! She was just feeling the pressure, which is undoubtedly extreme. She is just human! Good for Ryan. You people who are judging her need to find something better to do with your time!

josh

Drama Queen, just go home if U what to, I'm sure no one will stop U if that is what u really what girl. Don't make a big deal out of it, it's not, just go home but I suspect that's not what you really want you just wanted someone to feed your ego and beg U not to go home. Like I said DRAMA QUEEN.

John Fullerton

Ryan you should have not talk her out of quiting. She, sucks and is ugly as well.

Jerry

I thought maybe AI told her she had to wash her hair.

kelsey

i think she sould quit its best for her and her family plus she's not that good arron kelly is the best one of them all i think so she needs to quit or her life will be ruined the farter she gets.

kelsey out<3

BoobyGee

She was having her period. All women become stupid when they bleed. Sadly, she appears to have her monthly visitor every week.

schoen1

I don't like her at all (because she has no class), have never voted for her and wish she would have just left.

Kate

Chrystal is a breath of fresh air for AI, an unlikely Idol that really appeals to those people that enjoy folk rock, bluegrass, ballads, jazz and "other" types of music. She is definitely NOT just another bubble-gum pop princess, an angry rapper, a heavy-metal rocker or a country crooner.

Christal is unique, and her look is hers and hers alone during this idol competition. She doesn't need the purple hair, the multiple body piercings or the obnoxious tattoos of contestants past. Christal is comfortable in her own skin - she lets her talent speak for her.

Chrystal is only human, and while on AI is dealing with extraordinary cir***stances: She is far, far away from her child, she is a diabetic (for those unfamiliar with diabetes, it is a BRUTAL illness), and she has to deal with the under-educated and overly opinionated comments of the unwashed who would judge her for her hair style, teeth, weight, lifestyle, use of makeup, manner of dress, blah, blah, blah. Sticks and stones, people - you hate what you choose not to understand. Not everything is black and white, folks. Get a grip! - IT'S A TV SHOW. Why set out to destroy this young woman with your words because you simply "don't agree with" whatever - her singing, her look or her lifestyle, etc... She's still there because, obviously, most of the viewers agree she is one very talented woman.

And Seacrest? He is a shrewd businessman. He is talented. He is remarkably successful. He is doing what he loves, and making damn good money doing it. I see him as **** Clark's "replacement". Again, sticks and stones. Haters are jealous. Ryan is worthy of admiration, not scorn. His trying to reason with Chrystal in the parking lot that day was a gift of calming, rational reasoning in her moment of personal crisis. He was mentoring her.

shar

IF THIS ARTICLE IS TRUE.....she probably would be smart to go because if she can't handle this pressure, she is just taking the title from someone who really wants it.

Merly

She should just quit before the judges realizes that she's doing almost the same thing every week and start to ruin her

Truth

SEACREST STFU! NOT EVERY1 IS SUCCESSFUL FROM IDOL. ONLY KELLY CLARKSON, CARRIE UNDERWOOD, AND JHUD ARE ANYTHING NEAR CELEB STATUS. THE REST ARE SMALL CLUB AND BAR ACTS. NO GUARANTEE HER CRAPTASTIC RECORD WILL SELL EVEN IF SHE WINS. WHO CARESSS!

DAngel

She has a little boy, and I know I would go crazy being away from my babies for weeks. I'm sure it is very hard to be away from him on top of all the stress they are going through. She is so talented and amazing, that it would be a shame if she left now.

I never liked Ryan, he always seemed so false, but now I'm wondering if I was wrong about him. I think he was helping her, not trying to help the show.

lili

The "title" does not matter...Taylor Hicks (just sayin)
Crystal has talent and will get a singing contract even if she doesn't win the "title".

shell

Daughtry and david cook to!!!!!!!!!

shell

I would never leave my kids so maybe she should of thought about it a little more!!! Ya"ll need a life!! if she wins everyone will complain then to!!! WHO CARES!!!