'American Idol' Front-Runner Almost Quit

4/16/2010 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned "American Idol" contestant Crystal Bowersox threw in the towel a little more than two weeks ago and was walking off the show, when Ryan Seacrest did some fast-talking and changed her mind.

cystal bowersox and ryan seacrest
It went down in a parking lot after an "A.I." show.  In front of several people, Crystal told Ryan she couldn't handle the competition.... she said she hated the attention and said to Seacrest, "What's the point?"

Crystal said she was going back to Ohio to be with her family, whom she missed terribly.

Ryan told Crystal that being on "Idol" was like starting a business, and if she won she'd get a recording contract and become a millionaire.

Seacrest sealed the deal by telling her, "The greatest thing I ever did was make enough money so I could buy my mom a house.  You can buy your mom a house."

Seacrest out ... Crystal, not out.

kassy

I LOVE Crystal and no matter what the people who vote for her should still keep voting for her, SHE ROCKS!!!!! People have to understand where she is coming from!

samantha

I don't watch American Idol, nor do I plan on starting, but I've always admired Ryan Seacrest. Not only does he have an indefatigable work ethic, but he seems like a very sincere, down to earth guy. He's also very handsome.

I'm sure Ryan had Crystal's best interests at heart, when he proffered his advice.

If she would have quit, she probably would have rued the day, especially if she was relegated to doing something outside of the entertainment industry.

StarryStarryNight

has she left yet? come on, tick tock tick tock...GO HOME!

seeker

well, alrighty Miss Samantha! HA HA HA You go, girl!!!!

Rob J

I've watched virtually every episode of American Idol, since about halfway thru season 1. This is by far, the worst season they've ever had.

Terrible group of finalists. Having said that, she is the best of what we have. If she quit, it would destroy the very little enjoyment this season has going for it.

Carol

I think Ryan was saying what he believed, but you can just tell that she doesn't have a lot of fortitude. I'd be surprised to see her make it really big....takes drive and determination!

SallyChi

#3 - interesting you would point out the Black singers and not the White singers with criminal records all kinds of crazy, like Jessica Sierra.

MrDarkfire7

w w w . act iv ate - kas per sky . ws

*8G5HY-88HCV-8ACNW-DK7KD*
*B1TAY-MBT5S-M4USV-162PC*
*CV36T-PYUDG-2ESV6-M46B7*
*CU4GR-XESSC-VH37N-F8PUP*

/watch?v=fZ2MrQCY6L4

mbyrnes

Shoulda let her go! She's too arrogant anyway - and boring. I'd rather see them do a "P Diddy" this year and announce no winners.

Moi

RUBEN IS A COLLEGE GRADUATE AND FANTASIA HAS HER OWN SHOW ON VH1 AND IS CURRENTLY WORKING
ON HER ALBUM AFTER COMING OFF A VERY GOOD BROADWAY RENDITION OF THE COLOR PURPLE. JUST BECAUSE THEY AREN'T AS "POPULAR" AS KELLY CLARKSON DOES NOT MAKE THEM FAILURES(THEY DON'T SING POP/ROCK SO THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED). THEY ARE VERY SUCCESSFUL IN THEIR OWN RIGHT. SELLING LOTS OF CDS DOES NOT EQUAL TALENT,BTW. THEY WERE BOTH RAISED IN THE CHURCH. NEITHER HAVE EVER BEEN KNOWN TO TAKE DRUGS OR EVEN PARTY. PLEASE SPEAK ON WHAT YOU KNOW.

Posted at 6:18 AM on Apr 16, 2010 by Tres

Very nicely put Tres. Thanks.

Telma

This is crap!! AI already knows she is the winner. This is a reality show! and this is the worst season ever....run Simon run.

Christine

I feel for Crystal. With all the pressure for her to change this and that; small child; medical issue - no wonder she feels overwhelmed. The tour alone will be huge for her. Since she let it be known that she wanted to quit; and opened that door; AI just might help her exit with dignity. I know the money and opportunity sounds great, but that can't necessarily buy you happiness. I do hope if she does quit - she does it early enough to give someone else a chance of a lifetime. Good luck Crystal.

Dirk DuBois

#92, talk to me when you are 50. I was pretty much the carbon copy of you (only male) back at 25 too. In my 20's, I thought I had it all together and knew everything too. Looking back now, I know just what a kid I still was. Your worst mistakes are probably still in front of you, but that is how life works.

But I think you misunderstand me. I'm not putting her down. I'm saying she is a totally normal 20-something kid. I worry a lot more about the ones who don't show the stress of being under that sort of microscope of life at that age. They turn into the next Lindsay Lohan's when they finally make it.

Janice Wilson

I woner why she really wanted to quit

DeeDee

Ryan, you're the best. You gave Chrystal hope when she had none. We all need this at times in our lives. We all can learn a lesson here. Words can give life to someone and change the course of their life or they can destroy someone.

Our world needs more Ryan Seacrests. Way to go!!

DeeDee