Bret Michaels -- The Odds of Survival

4/23/2010 6:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels doesn't just need good medical attention to survive his current condition -- he also needs luck.

According to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, people who don't receive proper medical treatment after suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage have a 20% to 30% chance of experiencing a second bleed within the first month -- and the odds of surviving a second bleed are extremely slim.

Cedars states, "Recurrent bleeding has a 70% mortality rate."

Fortunately, Michaels is reportedly being treated in a capable medical center.

However, it appears as though Michaels is already beating the odds -- Cedars reports that roughly 1/3 of people who have a subarachnoid hemorrhage die during the hemorrhage because of extensive brain damage. Obviously, Michaels has already cleared that hurdle.

As for Michaels' treatment, Cedars warns, "Because of the ominous prognosis with delayed definitive therapy, referral to a center of excellence with experience in treating subarachnoid hemorrhage is imperative."

Barbarascy

I hope that he comes out okay. He seems like a very strong person. Hang in there Bret.

mrsj

I felt so bad when I read this. He seems like a good guy, not the typical bad boy rock star. I really hope he pulls through. Sending healing prayers his way.

becca

Brett,

You have such a big heart. It has great watching on "The Apprentice". May God be with you!! I am praying for a full recovery.

Becca

Jenny

GOD BLESS BRET AND HIS FAMILY

Alice

Hussie, you are wrong. This type of hemmorage is usually something you are born with, or due to high blood pressure, or lifting something heavy. Trust me, I do know about them. They could run in families & the tragedy that may happen is monumental. If he survives this, he will have a long and hard road to travel in his recovery. May he be comforted in the fact that has beautiful children and that they love him so much. Any negative comments are cruel and if you need attention that desperately, please go somewhere else online and be vicious.

KJP

Does anyone know if Brett Michaels is bald? Just curious because for the past 5 to 7 years, every time you see him anywhere, whether its his reality show or on Apprentice, or in any interview,,,or anywhere for that matter,,,he's always wearing the head wrapped bandana with the cowboy hat.....Just curious. Truly and nhonestly hope he gets better,,,love his music, but just want to satify a curious itch about his hair.

carol

This is a very bad thing. Every brain bleed or injury is different but... I have first hand experience. My mother at 62 had a massive brain hemmorage (caused by a blood thinner) was at Cedars. She survived months of a Coma and multiple surgeries but was very impaired for the rest of her life and required 24 hour care.
Very tragic for Brett and I hope he beats the odds.

Me

I'm not a fan of his music, but have been a fan of his on Celebrity Apprentice. I'm saying lots of prayers for his recovery.

Hedden

Praying for Bret to get well.

Ziggy

I'm sure Bret's got a lot of good people looking after him. Hopefully he's made it through the worst of it.

KJP

the bandana and the cowboy hat,,,always on,,,,,is he bald?

Pretty LL

Does anyone know where we can send get well cards?

sad but...

wouldnt be surprised if it were a coke stroke.

Ms Kris

I've had diabetes as long as Bret I wish him the best

zippy

Bret, my prayers are with you, you are stubborn so you will make it, just do everything the docs tellyou to do, God bless kiddo,