Bret Michaels -- The Odds of Survival

4/23/2010 6:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels doesn't just need good medical attention to survive his current condition -- he also needs luck.

According to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, people who don't receive proper medical treatment after suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage have a 20% to 30% chance of experiencing a second bleed within the first month -- and the odds of surviving a second bleed are extremely slim.

Cedars states, "Recurrent bleeding has a 70% mortality rate."

Fortunately, Michaels is reportedly being treated in a capable medical center.

However, it appears as though Michaels is already beating the odds -- Cedars reports that roughly 1/3 of people who have a subarachnoid hemorrhage die during the hemorrhage because of extensive brain damage. Obviously, Michaels has already cleared that hurdle.

As for Michaels' treatment, Cedars warns, "Because of the ominous prognosis with delayed definitive therapy, referral to a center of excellence with experience in treating subarachnoid hemorrhage is imperative."

Spike

Maybe all that eye makeup is toxic.

Hussie

Hey "Alice",
Then what's this FACT?...

• Diabetes mellitus is generally accepted as an important risk factor in cerebrovascular disease.

Now, get over yourself and realize that Bret's current condition has EVERYTHING to do with his Diabetes...If Bret weren't diabetic, his vascular system would be much stronger and his risk for subarachnoid hemmorhage much lower...Diabetes destroys the cardiovascular system, including the many veins/vessels in the brain/brain stem...
It isn't by my doing that Bret is suffering, it's from HIS OWN health condition...
I just have the balls enough to say it...

Todd

Bret, the apprentice hasn't finished, but I would not be surprised if you win. Please stay with us !!

Dano

Brett! You need to get better you have the Apprentice to win! You're the best and most creative person on the show!

Seriously, get well soon.

Dano

lluvia

iam praying for u bret i love u so much u are in my prayers keep it up we want bret michaels for along more time i hope for our speedy recovery our in my thoughts day and night i love u soo much

Nicole

We love you Bret!

DonKool

Never was really into Poison (or Hair Metal in general) but always was aware of who Bret was. Got to really like him as -not a spandex wearing sissy- on Rock of Love. The first season they didn't even tell the girls who the Rock Star was. I figure they were going to use "Rock of Love" as the title and use a different Rock Star each year but Bret nailed it so well and was so likeable and nice to the girls (no matter what) that it then became His Show. I was glad to see him in a different venue on Celebrity Apprentice although some of the other people seem to have disliked him just on general principles from the start. Anyway, he comes off on TV at least as a real likeable fella who is really into it for the fans and is down to earth. My daughter's mother died at 32 from the same thing. It was one hour from the splitting headache to brain death. Hope Bret comes through it alive and not a vegetable. If he dies on Saturday or Sunday before "Celebrity Apprentice" airs and this is the episode where Donald Trump fires him, I doubt that they will show it.

edgar

mr. brett michaels is the coolest. some friends and i were hanging in front of the rainbow one night a couple years back. before we were about to enter the key club, he passed by. we shouted "brett you rule!" he comes over and chats with us for like 15 minutes. we missed the first half or our friends set, but it was worth it. im sure he thought a couple of my friends were hot,(and probably the main motivation to come over) but though he did not walk away with our girls( because he so could have, i mean c'mon? he is the man) he did walk away with all our hearts. this guy is so cool, and it really sucks whats going on. we just hope and pray that he has a speedy recovery and his family is coping as well as one can. GOOD LUCK MR. MICHAELS YOU STILL RULE!!

Michelle Swearington

We are praying for you Brett and love you very much.....please pray for Brett and his little girls and all of his family

DaFennmeista

RIDE THE WIND, NEVER COMIN' BACK UNTILL I TOUCH THE MIDNIGHT SUN...

karmin robbins

Good thoughts toward you and your family at this time. May you have peace and be able to do in this world what you are suppose to.

EricSteez

Cocaine Baby!

Rhonda

This is all too sad to me....I LOVE Bret! :(

I will pray for Bret and his family and I wish him a very speedy recovery.

Love you!

C-Dubs

Don't worry, Brett. I'm sure TMZ is hoping you survive. (GASP)

soshutyourmouthhaters

Love you Brett!!! Been a fan of Poison since the late 80's and grew up listenning to "Ride the Wind", "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" and "Something To Belive In". I pray God for you so He will always be by your side no matter what. Love you so much.