Bret Michaels -- The Odds of Survival

4/23/2010 6:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bret Michaels doesn't just need good medical attention to survive his current condition -- he also needs luck.

According to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, people who don't receive proper medical treatment after suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage have a 20% to 30% chance of experiencing a second bleed within the first month -- and the odds of surviving a second bleed are extremely slim.

Cedars states, "Recurrent bleeding has a 70% mortality rate."

Fortunately, Michaels is reportedly being treated in a capable medical center.

However, it appears as though Michaels is already beating the odds -- Cedars reports that roughly 1/3 of people who have a subarachnoid hemorrhage die during the hemorrhage because of extensive brain damage. Obviously, Michaels has already cleared that hurdle.

As for Michaels' treatment, Cedars warns, "Because of the ominous prognosis with delayed definitive therapy, referral to a center of excellence with experience in treating subarachnoid hemorrhage is imperative."

soshutyourmouthhaters

Love you Bret!!! Been a fan since Poison's clips "Ride the wind", "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" and "Something to Believe In" back in the late 80's... You have faith in God. I have faith too. I pray for you so God always be by your side no matter what.

Karen

Bret needs alot of prayers right now.

June RaY

I love you and I think that you are a very positive person and you will get through this. You are a strong and postitive person. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family!

Jim

Quit hating mother****ers - it's serious. Im not a huge fan, but give this guy a break - He is SICK.

Chelle

get better soon

DetourDan

R.I.P. Brett Michaels!

Hope the hospital posts pictures of what's been hiding under your hat/bandana all these years. Enquiring minds!!

dirty diana

*******s saying bad **** about him, You'll get yours!!!! f^&king ****s!!! Praying for you Bret. This man has done alot! your obviously losers!!

MadMooby

Karma's about a bitch, ain't it?

dirty diana

praying hard for you bret, hey i wonder if the heavy stage equipment accident had anything to do with this?? Godspeed Bret.

DigDug

In laymen's terms, a subarachnoid hemorrhage is a very acute ("sudden") and dangerous bleed into the brain/cranium. There is little to no space for the added volume of the "blood" inside the cranium (because it is filled with brain),and thus the brain literally gets squeezed/compressed by the blood. Onset is typically a very quick (!) onset headache, "the worst headache of my life by 100x" is the way it is described. Very serious, very lethal, and not often a good outcome. At least he is still alive. The next 72 hours, and then the next few weeks, are critical.

SAHs happen often for unknown reasons, not due to banging your head 4 months ago, etc. Normal people. Good health. Then 'wham' someone can literally complain of a sudden debillitating headache and be dead in 15 minutes.

Good luck Bret I am pulling for ya buddy!

lonelysuperstar

Prayers go out to you Brett!! Good guy, honest heart.

Rob83

Stay positive there is only 20 - 30% that another bleeding will happen. Since he is now stabilized the odds are slowly turning to his favor.

Rocket

For all of you INHUMANS on here who are going to continue to ATTACK A MAN WHEN HE IS DOWN... or make light of his grave health condition... all I can say is that you are truly POND S***.PERIOD!

What the F**K did Bret Michaels ever do to you?

Horns up to a metal brother who needs prayers at this time... and
not LAME jokes or "I told you so" comments.

The Metal Den and its readers are ROOTING FOR BRET'S SURVIVAL!

And remember, kiddies... every rose has its thorn.

ROCKET
TheMetaDen.com

Oscar in Miami Beach

I'm so sorry for him.I never cared much for him and his tv program but nevertheless this is something I would not want anybody to go thru.I hope he recovers without any deleterious effects.Get well soon Brett.

Madison

Brett,

I am such a fan and have gotten to know you by watching The Apprentice. You are a fighter man and this is when you must fight even harder. Please don't give up, we need you to stay strong.
God Bless you