Slipknot 911 -- 'Hypodermic Needle Next to His Bed'

5/26/2010 4:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The hotel employee who discovered the body of Slipknot bassist Paul Gray on Monday told the 911 operator he noticed a hypodermic needle and a bottle of pills in the musician's hotel room when he found the body.

** warning -- the audio contains graphic content **

0526_slipknot_bassist_EX_Getty_03

In the 911 call, obtained by TMZ, the employee -- a maintenance worker at the Iowa hotel -- tells the operator that he suspects Paul died of a "drug overdose" and that it appeared that Paul had been in the room for "a while."

The employee also told the 911 operator that Paul's mother had called the hotel earlier in the day because she couldn't get a hold of her son.

Cops are still investigating Paul's death. Officials have stated that the death doesn't appear to be the result of foul play.

peskybarb

I used to be a safety dispatcher - that was the worst operator I have ever heard. He had to repeat everything two and three times, he could not find a major hotel on the system... waht an idiot. Seriously - it sounded like he interrupted dude's lunch...

Celebrities Suck

OMG this 911 dispatcher needs to find a different job. He's slow and lacks in listening.

spongemommy

I cannot BELIEVE everybody is jumping to the conclusion that it was a drug overdose because there was a needle there. Was he a diabetic maybe? There are migraine meds that come in a needle, probably many others. Way to jump to conclusions. FAIL.

Marie

Thank you TMZ for covering this. I realize the Hard Rock/Metal community is not nearly as big as other fan bases, but as a fan of both Metal and TMZ it nice to see you cover this. I just really wish it was not under these cir***stances.

Everyones~A~Star

Those guys both sound incredibly board. heartless. The fact that his concerned mom has been calling AND is going to get the worst news of her life doesnt seem to bother them at all. Its just another boring part of the day for two guys and they are ready for their coffee break.

im glad TMZ posted the call...911 TO THE RESCUE!!! right after they finish coffee....and donuts.

Whatev

I know he was already dead, but my god... I hope I am not in the process of dying and on the phone with a 911 operator like this dude! He asks if Paul Gray is beyond any help after 3 minutes into his slow conversation... wtf?!

socalhoney4u

Only a medical professional can call someone officially deceased.. yea this operator was going slow however within 45 seconds of a 911 call coming in they are already dispatching Police and or Fire to the scene. Either way Paul was deceased before the call came in.

RIP Paul... everyone has demons its a shame people feel like they can throw stones.

Abusement76

Mindcrimes, How fitting a name that is for someone of your mindset. The big man who has computer that allows them to spew thier insulting ignorance for the world to read. Nevermind the fact they are too stupid or incapable for showing any compassion for a tragedy. I truley wonder how people like you survive in this world, but god does have a way of looking out for stupid people doesn't he.

Abusement76

Mindcrimes, It a tragedy! Do you understand that! I'm glad you have walked a mile in the mans shoes and know the full story! Drug addiction can take your soul and isn't an easy demon to defeat. So yeah, show a little respect and prayer is all we can do at this point. But Thank God there are superior people such as you in this world that have a computer and the ability to post your ignorance for the world to see! You better check your shoes before you walk in becuase we can smell the sh*t you are tracking in!

Abusement76

Let me clarify here: I stated, "take the time to say a pryer for his family, friends, and bandmates!"
Those are the people hurt and left behind to deal with this!

XPrettyBulletX>

RIP, you will be missed!
to all those posting bad comments, saying stuff like "he got whats coming to him", learn a little respect. SlipKnot was a GREAT metal band, and im pretty sure that because of his death, comes the death of great band, that let METAL (not just rock or punk) make it big, and even won a grammy. Its a sad time for us, as is his family. so a little respect people. no matter the cause of death, his family, friends and FANS are hurting...
on a plus note, we dont know if it is a OD yet.. we will find out in 4 to 6 weeks.. I pray its not.. but im prob wrong, it makes it even sader if it were a OD. because that could have been treated in rehab.. :(

RIP

Sonja

That 911 operator was such a tool, sounded like he just woke from a nap and couldn't care less what was going on. Why do you need the damn business phone number? You were given the damn address just send someone out WTF??

Straight Talkin Texan

The 911 operator was WAY TOO RELAXED sounding from the moment he answered the phone. And I never did hear him ask "What's your emergency?" I wouldn't want to be a 911 operator. It's got to be a tough job, and I appreciate the good ones. However, like another comment said, this operator "sounded like he just woke up from a nap."

Just Me

Imagine that. What a pos. I feel sorry for his unborn child, but she's going to be better off in the long run not having this druggie around.

WordOutlet

I think it's despicable that calls like this are made public.

That said, that 911 Operator's real name is Mr Chillax.