Bandleader Pissed Over 'American Idol' Snub

5/27/2010 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0527_ricky_miner_EX_Getty_01TMZ has learned ... one of the key players who made "American ldol" a success was so pissed last night after the show, he chewed out "A.I." producers backstage.

Rickey Minor -- who has been the bandleader for 6 seasons  -- is leaving A.I. to head up Jay Leno's band on "The Tonight Show."

Minor was fit to be tied after no one thanked him or wished him well -- hell, they didn't even acknowledge him during last night's finale.

Our "A.I." spies tell us ... when the show was over Minor went off on producers, angrily telling them how insulted he was by their silent dis.

Minor refused to go backstage for the champagne afterparty.  But producers pleaded with him and then got Randy Jackson to try and smooth it over with an unprepared speech.

Minor then said a few words but we're told, "You could cut the bitterness with a knife."

We're told Minor recanted and went to the afterparty -- but he was still fuming mad.

David

5. Soooo everyone has a BIG EGO you are in the background honey, stay there..

Posted at 10:09 AM on May 27, 2010 by dd

So just because he was in "the background" doesn't mean he didn't deserve any attention? You're one of those people that support a movie star and if someone "lesser" than them say something you throw something like that out. Even thou a director tells them what to do, A TEAM of writers put words into their mouth, and on and on..Yea

CHK

I don't blame him for being mad. He has done a lot of work to help others realize their dreams. A thank you would have been appropriate. Now that TMZ has let everyone know, let's see how fast AI can backpeddle.

Don

I actually wondered during the show why nobody mentioned Ricky and his band, who have been responsible, in many instances, for the success of many of the contestants. He deserved at least a mention, if only because he's leaving the show.

And it's not just ego, folks. That band is quite good and deserves credit for what they do. To dismiss Ricky Minor as just another ego-driven wanna-be is like saying Paul Shafer is a nobody who shouldn't be recognized. Jeez...you people are cynics of the lowest order.

LaToya Jackson

He's made a bad choice going to the old, old, old tonight show with that nasty Jay Leno. *I'm with Coco

dd

Whatever David! When you accept a background position don't expect that the egotisical people up front are going to acknowledge you, if you expect it you will be disappointed. This is show biz not church. He was paid nicely, he is the one that quit. Does everyone always need public praise why not just be content that you did a good job!!

Luluie

American Idol should have given him an acknowledgment. I hope he does well at the Tonight Show.

Frank

The one great thing about AI that I could I could count on is how GREAT the band was night after night. Paul Jackson is great guitar player and the drummer is monster. I am pretty sure that Rickey and the band had a hand in most of the great arrangements that happened on AI. They made a lot of people look good. Look I enjoyed the occasional performance, minus autotune, but I was always amazed at what a killer band was on the show. To RM and the band you always made the show for me. Thanks

Tarna

That was disrespectful. I do not blame him for being angry

David Bowen

Who cares?

martino

Poor baby...Well think about he is going to a competitors station, why would Fox want to plug the competition. He should have thanked Idol for giving him the opportunity in the first place. If it wasnt for Idol, he wouldnt be even considered for Jay's show

martino

joo_ooj

1st

Professor Obvious

What's up with this guy? Get over yourself already! This knob was paid well for 6 years and quit, then he wanted some sort of nationaly televised recognition and thanks for his massive contribution for the broadcast industry? WTF?!?! Listen your highness, you didn't cure cancer or anything so STFU you little prima dona and move on.

Diana

He is an amazing artist who played for each contestant with professionalism and passion. I noticed him over and over, he provided the music. A great musician who should have been recognized.

JJ

Oh BooHoo! They didn't mention me last night either. After all, I am one of the viewers that keeps their program on the air.

Such BS! You are an employee Ricky. Who cares that you are leaving to take another job somewhere else. What you do can be done by anyone. You are NOT the "star" of the show. Simon was. Do you really think you deserved a tribute too? Get over it!!!!!!